Will I get gestational diabetes again?

whispernikki

Reaction score
I had it with my dd 2 years ago, can I prevent myself from getting it again?

i think its one of those things you cant really prevent as its the pregnancy hormones that effect it all thats what i was told, theyve told me (as i have it this time) that if i have another (which is not happening lol) i would be at higher risk of developing it again :S x

That's was my fear.. Hopefully if I really be strict with myself with food, I maybe able to reduce the risk.., but that could be a big maybe lol x

I have it second time around and I am sorry to say it is worse! You could be one of the lucky ones, but if you have your old kit hanging around just check once in a while. I caught mine early this time because of that and had to push for an early diagnosis and treatment.

I tested first thing the other morning, got a 7.8, but checked a hour later went down to 5.4.
I've now run out of testing strips. I have a midwife appt next week. I will speak to her then x

I had it with my first pregnancy two years ago. I'm pregnant again and, at my first prenatal appointment, my doctor did say that my chances of having it again are higher than average. I don't think there is anything you can to do prevent it besides being a healthy weight before pregnancy. This doesn't always work, though, as I was 5'3'' 115 pounds and 25 years old when I was diagnosed the first time at 24 weeks pregnant.

This time, I have opted to check my blood sugar daily for the entirety of the pregnancy, as it is not a big deal to me and gives me piece of mind. And I really hated the glucose tests, especially the three hour of course. Last time I had GD, it was very easy to control with diet, thankfully. So far, I shown no signs of it yet and my sugars have been good, but I'll have to wait and see.

Good luck, hopefully you won't have to worry about it at all this time around!

i had it with my son in 2012. got a GTT this time around at 24+3 because of past history and passed... but i then got suspicious after i started exhibiting certain symptoms so got the MW to run another GTT on me at 31+5 - which i promptly failed.

waiting to get seen by the dietician and get my kit, but even though i've been good this past week (no more chocolates, no more whole tubs of ice cream, no more milkshakes) i've still gained more weight than i should be gaining at this stage. so we'll see what happens, i guess.

the difference between DS1 and DS2 is i was almost 20kg lighter pre-preg for DS2, so i think it perhaps delayed the onset until i hit a certain weight within the pregnancy.

if you wanna try and prevent getting GD, then you already know what needs to be done - try to maintain a healthy weight and keep a low-GI diet with plenty protein to help break down the sugars.

best of luck!

I had GD with my second son and was insulin dependent. With my third son, my sugars were never high or abnormal during any of my tests. My doctor was sure I would have it again so I was tested a few times. He finally had to admit I didn't have it after the last test. Like PPs have stated, control your weight gain and stick to your previous pregnancy diet recommendations. I was also lighter with DS3 by 35lbs and I didn't gain much weight because I pulled my GD booklet out from DS2 and strictly stuck with the meal regulation. Even with that there is no guarantee but atleast if you do end up with GD again you know how to control it this time around.

I had GD with my first daughter but not diagnosed until 36 weeks. With my second I made sure I lost all my weight before TTC and was really careful with my diet, but it still kicked in at 16 weeks.

If it is in your genes unfortunately there isn't much you can do :nope:

Don't make yourself feel more guilty about it if it does happen :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back