Will I regret our name choice?

T

Toms Mummy

We are naming our daughter Kate, it's the only name OH and I can agree on 100% but at the same time I am not 100% with it! I like it but it's not my fave. But we can't agree on any other names.

I am soooo worried that I will regret it. How is everyone else finding the compromise?

I can't find a name I love at all or one that we can agree on - why is is soooo hard!

My husband has said he wanted to name his son Devin from the time we started dating! I was never a big fan but knowing how much he liked it I never said no to it. We tried thinking of other names but there was nothing both of us liked! I'm still not 100% on Devin but that's what we're naming him. We're at about 98% right now!!

Just give it time. You don't have to decide now. Let it sink in and you may find another name you like more. My friend just had a baby last week and they named him as they were signing their hospital release papers because they could never decide!!

Our first had a name before birth. I didn't love it, but it was what we picked. My seco d was a surprise yellow turned pink and so I had no name for several days--like 5 days old and no name. Afterwards I did not like it and I asked my hubby if we could do a name change. I even looked it up. He said no. The name is ok but I'm not in love after 2 years.

This time I still have no name. I'm mixed on my list :/

for the next couples week just keep using Kate. Keep talking to baby Kate.

If at birth she isnt a Kate dont worry something will come.

Thank you!..... It's so hard when there's another person involved in the decision :haha: I do like the name Kate, I think I'm just worried as I hate the name Katie! I don't want her to be called that, even when she's older and wants to herself :dohh: I just think there's soooo many nicer names out there!

With my second son, I wasn't too fond of his name at first. My husband really liked it and it was all we could agree on. It took me a while to get used to it (months really), but now I couldn't imagine him with any other name (even the name that I originally wanted for him doesn't seem like it would have been a good choice anymore). I think quite often we end up falling in love with the name as we get to know our baby.

Ahh im finding it so hard to choose names! I want me and OH to LOVE the name and not just go with it for the sake of agreeing on a popular/safe name. My mum actually changed my name last minute a week before I was born :)

I'm sure you'll pick the right name & it will suite your daughter x

Whatever you do, if you do choose that name and later regret it, DON'T EVER TELL YOUR CHILD.

My mum regularly complains that she regrets my middle name, and even went through a phase of putting a different middle name on official documents (school records etc) without actually officially changing it which a) has caused me numerous problems with legal documents and b) has made me dislike my own middle name.

We are having problems over here too! When i was young I would say "I will name my daughter this and that" but I never took into account that there would be someone else who would oppose my names!

I really like Kate, i dont think you will regret it, and I think she will like it when she is older. Whats not to like about Kate?

Me and OH dont really agree on any names. We have about 3 each that we both love but the other one doesnt. We only have one name which we both think is ok, but neither of us love. Ill be pretty sad if we end up having to use it as we both LOVED our sons name. Hoping we can think of a name we both love before then.

I like kate. But if your not 100% id keep thinking.

Thanks Larkspur!.... That's definately something I would want to do :nope:

I think her name will be kate, I do like it and sometimes I even love it! I think it's also nerves of actually having a name picked that you think oh no, there must be others iykwim :dohh:

Also, our son is named after my OH's grandad who passed a few years ago, so I think his name is really special and has meaning. But with this name we have just thought of it and it's not connected to anyone :shrug:

It's such a big decision to make, it would be weird not to have the occasional doubt. I think you would be less likely to regret choosing a classic name like Kate rather than something faddish that 'dates' a person I.e after a current singer, actress etc. I know a couple of Kylies in their 20s who aren't so happy to have such a clearly 80s name. (no offense to any Kylies on here lol)

My mom and dad couldn't agree on my name.
They came to the agreement of dad choosing the name and mom choosing the spelling.

Dads name choice: Ashley
Moms spelling: Ashleigh

My partner and I only disagree on one name, Leviticus.

If its mainly the thought of her getting called Katie that's the problem have you thought about naming her Kathryn or Katelyn or similar and then always call her Kate- it's much less likely to be changed to Katie if Kate is already the nickname.

I think Kate is a pretty name. I like someone else's idea of making it Katelyn or something similar so that she could also have Kate as a nickname.

Another suggestion though, is to consider naming her after someone important on your side of the family. It doesn't have to be the exact name, for example, if your great-aunt was named Emily, then you could consider Amelia or Emmaline for your daughter. This was how I chose my daughter's middle name (its a variation of my great grandparent's names) Even if you can't think of a family member, maybe there was someone else important in your life - a character in a book you admired, a teacher who changed your life, or anyone else special to you that you look up to.

Your husband already had your son named after his grandad, so maybe he can be nice and let you pick a name that means something to you this time. I believe its only fair, you're the one giving birth after all too ;)

But if you decide to stay with Kate, I still think its lovely and you can't go wrong.

Thank you everyone!..... My daughter was born on Sunday and so far her name is Kate and I really like it! It suits her!.... I'm not keen on calling her Katelyn as I know that that's what grandparents will call her! We regretted calling tom thomas as we prefer just tom, and although that's what everyone calls him, his grandparents call him Thomas!

Popping over from ttc! My fiance and I have loads of names picked, he's not completely 100% sure on them but I love them. I figured seeing as I'd be carrying the baby for 9 months and giving birth to it, I have the tiniest bit more of a say in what s/he will be called, hehe, and DF agrees!

However, when you have your baby girl, you might decide she doesn't look like a Kate :)

I always knew what I wanted to name my boy so I got to pick that name so for our second I told DH he could pick. I have never loved her name (actually didn't even like it initially) but it is a family name and so I like that. It grows on you and just becomes part of your child and you'll probably have a hard time imagining them called anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->