Will midwife do a sweep before 40 weeks?

krystalemery

1 boy, 2 girls & 2 angels
Reaction score
I'm 39 weeks on Monday, and have midwife app on Tuesday.

This is my 2nd baby and I have been nothing but uncomfortable for weeks and weeks to the point where some days my hips and back hurt so much I can't walk.

I've heard you can have a sweep at 40wks with 1st baby, and 41wks with 2nd baby but am debating whether to ask for a sweep at my next app considering i won't be full term.

Has anybody else felt so uncomfortable and had a sweep early because of it? What's the chances of midwife doing one for me?

Many thanks :-D

As far as I'm aware, it's after 40 weeks in the UK unless consent given from a Dr with medical reasons. I could be wrong though. I have my sweep booked for 41 weeks and this is my first baby :)

Mine said she would give me a sweep at 38 weeks. I think its at their discretion. Good luck

My midwife did with my 1st at 39+3 it didnt work but she said she'd give it a go im sure it was mainly as she was off on annual leave in a week and she wanted to see if baby would come before so i had her as a midwife but it didnt work and neither did the following 2 i had lol

My midwife informed me that they are now allowed to do them from 38 weeks. Don't know whether that's just my local health authority or everywhere though. I don't think it's something they generally publicise though -I guess they don't want everyone coming in demanding them at 38 weeks, lol. She told be about it because I had to be induced at 42 weeks with ds and because I'm really atruggling with spd again... But yeah, here at least they can do them from 38 weeks

Some will some wont, mine will not do anything till 39 yet my friend had one recently at 38. When i asked my midwife today she said with 1st babies they can 'interfere' from 40 but 2nd+ they cant interfere until 40+4 but if ur having pains or signs baby might come thry will check you.

It's 41 weeks with your first in the UK and 40 weeks if it's a subsequent baby. You could ask and see what your mw says x

I saw my consultants registrar the other week and she told me to book an app for when im 39+4 and they will do one as they can do them from 39 weeks

My midwife refused at 39-5. This is my second baby and I'm having loads of spd pain but she said she could be struck off for doing it even a day before 40. Seems to vary a bit from area to area though so its worth asking.

I saw my consultant's registrar on Monday (36+5) straight after a growth scan showing baby is measuring big (41+3). My consultant popped in towards end of appointment and looked through scan results and asked if I wanted a sweep. Her registrar then tried but said my cervix was soft but still quite high so was unable to carry it out successfully.

I guess it all depends on where you are and who your seeing. xxx

Sweeps can only be performed if your cervix has dropped, otherwise there is just no way they can get to them. A lot of peoples, especially first timers, won't drop until you are ready for labour so asking for them early is futile as they just can't be done. A sweep only really works anyway if your ready for labour, they might be able to just about get in there and do it but if your body isn't ready it won't work.

I haven't heard anything about being able to have them from 38/39wks, I've looked all over internet and seem to be seeing the same "depends on midwife" comments, I've been having a lot of trouble with this baby for so long now so I'm hoping she may try a sweep, will just have to wait and see!

Thanks for your replies x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->