Will My Body Accommodate to Change?

DJMooMoo79

Reaction score
I was doing half breast milk, half formula and everything was great as far as latching and so forth. It worked for me because that meant I had more time to myself (daddy could feed) and baby seemed to get angry when I dried up anyways. Well last week she went on a screaming fit and was incredibly gassy. I lowered her intake of formula to no longer 50/50 but only giving her 2 ounces at night and 2 ounces during the day, the rest was straight breast feeding. And it worked like a charm. No more tummy aches.

Theres only one problem, im still only producing milk like I was previously, meaning a much more cranky baby when she doesnt get enough. My breast use to be engorged and then she would drain them. Now there drained all the time and I feel like im pulling teeth trying to feed her whatever droplets she hadnt eaten last feeding. Will my body accommodate to this change in feeding and produce more? Or will this be it?

Your body will produce more, but you need to put more time and effort in during these critical early weeks. Either nurse or pump much more frequently to signal to your body that the baby needs more. Maybe even pump while dad is doing the bottles. You get less rest in the short term, but now is when you have the best chance of building up your supply.

Thank you! I feel like im feeding all the time because she doesnt get enough with the initial feeding. I was worried that since I was already two weeks in though i was too late.

With demand feeding the LO goes through growth spurts all the time and the milk supply will adjust to those. Given that you are still very early on in regulating your milk supply it might take a bit longer to adjust.

Try
* drinking more water
* eating oats
* lactation cookies/tea
* putting baby to breast every 90 mins - 2 hours

Just keep at it. I combi fed LO1 for his first 8 - 10 weeks because of health reasons and at one point he was only having one BF a day and we successfully got to EBF. It just takes some work and some luck. My body loves to make milk fortunately.

Lots of water and lots of nursing. Your boobs shouldn't feel engorged and full all the time. Empty breasts show that she's draining them efficiently and your body is making milk to demand, rather than to feed twins or triplets! Keep an eye on the nappies, but if they're ok then keep going :)

Your breasts should not feel engorged anymore anyway, after the first week or 10 days the engorgement really goes down. I remember all of a sudden I didn't get engorged, my boobs just felt softer all the time, but DS was having plenty of wet and dirty diapers.

Also, it looks like you are almost 3 weeks, I hear it is a big growth spurt, which may be what you are experiencing! Drink lots of water, eat oatmeal (I swear I pumped more on oatmeal mornings...), get plenty of rest (I found sleep was important to regulating supply). Good luck!

If your breasts are empty and your baby nurses, the nursing will trigger your body to produce more milk right then and there. As your body continues to get more input to produce more milk, it will begin to adjust in anticipation of needing to provide that amount of milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->