Will the flu or cold cause problems during the 5-6 weeks of pregnancy

LindaSun

Reaction score
Please help with advice - Anyone had a cold or flu during their 5-6 weeks of pregnancy? I was in the bed almost 1 week with high temperature and running nose... Happily I didn't take any medicine. Just homemade juices and tea... Now I am in my 11 week. I am so worrying if it caused problems and had impact on the normal development of my baby... Please share your experience. Will I have a healthy baby?

I hope it won't, I've got a bad cold with a horrible cough. And have had it for over a week now. Doesn't seem to get better!! xx

It shouldn't unless u had a high fever. If u had a high fever u had to take Tylenol to lower it as much as possible. My Dr always said flus, colds, gastro all fine unless u spike a temp over 38c then u need to medicate or consult a Dr as high temps can cause developmental issues in a first trimester embryo

I asked my doctor about this because I was wondering if I should get a flu shot or not and she said if I get a flu it will suck for me but not to worry about it affecting the fetus. You can be throwing your guts up and it won't affect it. Just obviously try to stay hydrated, etc.

Please help with advice - Anyone had a cold or flu during their 5-6 weeks of pregnancy? I was in the bed almost 1 week with high temperature and running nose... Happily I didn't take any medicine. Just homemade juices and tea... Now I am in my 11 week. I am so worrying if it caused problems and had impact on the normal development of my baby... Please share your experience. Will I have a healthy baby?

Thank you all for your replies.. Really helped me to feel more confident!! Anyone who has already delivered a healthy baby after that? Please share your experience.

When I was pregnant with DS, I got the worst / most violent stomach virus I've ever had around 22 weeks- had a high fever, couldn't keep anything down (including water) for over 24 hours- lasted almost 3 days. It didn't help that I was home alone because DH was out of the country! DS is healthy and sleeping upstairs right now :)

(Not quite first tri, but still a scary sickness in pregnancy!)

I don't have any direct experience but my mam did! I can't remember if it was when she was pregnant with me or my brother but I remember her telling me how she had an awful cold & we're both fine & hopefully your little one will be too :hugs:

I don't have any direct experience but my mam did! I can't remember if it was when she was pregnant with me or my brother but I remember her telling me how she had an awful cold & we're both fine & hopefully your little one will be too :hugs:

Thank you so much for your input! Could you please ask her during what weeks of pregnancy she had that cold? I have heard that especially 5-6 weeks are very dangerous for the baby....

Still got my bad cold and cough but no fever, thank goodness.

got 15 days until my next scan and will go crazy until then!!!

Thank you so much for your input! Could you please ask her during what weeks of pregnancy she had that cold? I have heard that especially 5-6 weeks are very dangerous for the baby....

I will indeed but very much doubt she'll remember but I know it was early & I would think around the 5/6 week mark. :thumbup:

I will indeed but very much doubt she'll remember but I know it was early & I would think around the 5/6 week mark. :thumbup:

Thanks my dear!! Your reply helped:happydance:

I've had terrible sinus/chest congestion since 6+6 ish. It is officially just in my chest and seems to be on its way out since I am coughing up all sorts of nasty stuff. My OB approved some over the counter meds to help with the mucus and getting it all up but warned not to take too much. mostly I am just worried about the coughing hurting the baby, which my OB said not to worry about at all, but this is my first pregnancy so I worry about everything!

Just trying to get a lot of rest, fluids, and getting all the crap out of my lungs.

It won't affect the baby, just hard on mama. The key is to stay hydrated.
This my 4th baby / pregnancy and I had the flu once and didn't know I was pregnant(5 weeks along) and was taking meds like crazy, and a week later found out I was preggers. Now that baby of mine is 6 and thriving healthy happy boy! So don't worry!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->