will unhealthy eating harm my baby?

cskme_

Reaction score
I'm 10 weeks tomorrow, and lately it seems like I have been eating sooo terribly. I manage to eat an apple and a mandarin every day and some salad, avocado and some whole wheat bread. But I have also been drinking fruit juices, iced caps and eating chocolate bars, fries, chips (I eat chips almost every day) candy, hamburgers, sausages. I realize I need to stop, I lost 30 pounds before becoming pregnant and I don't want all my hard efforts to go to waste. It's hard to eat how I used to when I lost so much weight because yogurt and eggs and a lot of veggies make me feel sick. Does anyone know if this is harmful for my baby? I have been consuming a lot of sodium and sugar, but also eating healthy along with it and still taking my prenatal vitamins. I am going to try as hard as I can to eat healthier and to avoid cravings for crappy food. But I am worried now that I have done damage to my baby.

I don't think so, I'm the same lots of things make me sick at the minute so I'm not eating well at all. I think if it's only at the start of your pregnancy especially if it's for sickness you have lots of time to get back into a healthy routine :)

Your body breaks down these foods into their components and that's what your baby gets. Mostly your baby needs energy, whatever form you can get in at first. Try to eat as well as you can, but you won't harm your baby unless you are eating extremely bad or not at all.

If you're not eating meth, then you're probably fine.

As the PP said, your body is breaking everything down into elements that it can use. There are plenty of nutrients in a burger! There is even less cause for concern in your situation since you are eating healthy foods along with the unhealthy foods. To be honest, the only person who is likely to be harmed if you were eating awfully (which it really doesn't sound like you are) is YOU. Your body will pull from itself to provide whatever the baby needs if your diet doesn't provide what's necessary. This is why there used to be an old wives take about losing a tooth for each baby. Your body will pull the calcium straight out of your bones if you aren't eating enough of the right stuff. The same goes for many other things. Baby first. Mama gets the leftovers. I'm absolutely sure that you haven't caused any harm to your baby. :hugs:

My baby is going to be made mostly of cheese pizza at this rate. Craving this as its the only thing that makes me feel normal for a short period of time.

As the PP said, your body is breaking everything down into elements that it can use. There are plenty of nutrients in a burger! There is even less cause for concern in your situation since you are eating healthy foods along with the unhealthy foods. To be honest, the only person who is likely to be harmed if you were eating awfully (which it really doesn't sound like you are) is YOU. Your body will pull from itself to provide whatever the baby needs if your diet doesn't provide what's necessary. This is why there used to be an old wives take about losing a tooth for each baby. Your body will pull the calcium straight out of your bones if you aren't eating enough of the right stuff. The same goes for many other things. Baby first. Mama gets the leftovers. I'm absolutely sure that you haven't caused any harm to your baby. :hugs:

The meth comment made me laugh! I honestly didn't really know how it worked, I figured if I was eating tons of sugar my baby was going to end up diabetic or have heart problems. Or because I was eating too much salty chips and I'm constantly thirsty that my body isn't providing enough water to my baby. I know that sounds really uneducated but stranger things have happened LOL

My baby is going to be made mostly of cheese pizza at this rate. Craving this as its the only thing that makes me feel normal for a short period of time.

That sounds amazing. Cheese pizza and buffalo wings.

The meth comment made me laugh! I honestly didn't really know how it worked, I figured if I was eating tons of sugar my baby was going to end up diabetic or have heart problems. Or because I was eating too much salty chips and I'm constantly thirsty that my body isn't providing enough water to my baby. I know that sounds really uneducated but stranger things have happened LOL

I totally get why you're concerned! A lot of people live to fear monger new and expectant mothers, and there is an ever growing list of what not to do-- starting as soon as you're even thinking about pregnancy, it would seem. It can be daunting! Thankfully, this whole process is amazingly fine-tuned and (barring any hugely bad choices) there is very little you can do to disturb the natural course of things.

However, lots of sweets and excess carbs can increase your risk of getting gestational diabetes... But a few splurges in the early weeks is not going to get you there, especially if you are fairly healthy with normal blood sugar when not pregnant. I really wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Funny enough, I do struggle with blood sugar issues and don't normally want to eat pizza because I know how bad it makes me feel. Chips and French fries too. Yet, for whatever reason, I have been craving (and occasionally eating) all three over the past couple of weeks. It's frustrating, but I know it will probably change in another few weeks so I'm just trying to ride it out... without gaining too much weight in the meantime. :p

Baby won't be affected unless you're having things that directly affect them (too much caffeine, smoking, alcohol etc) they're very good at getting the nutrients and minerals they need from your body so try not to worry, you're taking your vitamins so that should help keep your levels up. Eat what you are able to eat at this point, I gave myself thrush eating only bread in first tri :dohh:

Later on when you're able to eat better do, not for baby because they'll get what they need but because your own levels will suffer as a result.

No it will not Obviously eating healthy is better all the way around, but often such as in one of my pregnancies where women are very nauseated or struggling with severe heartburn only junk food is appealing or stays down. My ob told me to eat what I could regardless of whether it healthy. All I could keep down was Captain Crunch and pizza rolls. Baby was fine.

BUT I will tell you for a hard fact if you eat poorly the weight is a LOT hard to lose!

I hope it doesn't, too much pizza for me tonight! Seems like all these babies like pizza!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->