Will we be able to wean from the nipple shield?

Jokerette

Mama of 2
Reaction score
Wondering about experiences from anyone who has used a nipple shield? DD is just not a good latcher but she's been doing awesome with the shield. I'm looking for people's experiences and wondering if you were able to wean from it eventually?

We took a long time to wean because I tried a lot at first and was discouraged since it never worked without. Then at 8 months I tried and he latched fine. Wow, he fed so much faster without!

I had to use a nipple shield with DS to begin with as I have relatively flat nipples and he found it difficult to latch. He started pulling it off mid feed around 4 months old and would then latch fine without it. So a couple of weeks later I went cold Turkey and we haven't looked back since and he is now 8 months and feeds so well without it. (And it's not as much of a faff!)

My right breast had a flatter nipple so I used the shield. I would attempt to get her to latch on to the actual nipple every time before putting on the shield. Sometimes she did (although it was never a deep latch n was sometimes painful ) by doing this she drew out the nipple some and now we don't need the shield at all. Just keep trying without it, eventually she will get it. And don't feel guilty about using it. It's getting her the milk she needs

Yep. My DD dropped them cold turkey at 5 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->