Will you be using music during your labour/birth?

Nectar

Mum of one
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm just trying to work out what music I'd want to listen to during labour/birth. I did the Calmbirth course so was thinking of just taking relaxation music but maybe I'd want something a little more upbeat/interesting too?

What are your thoughts on music during labour?

Thanks!

I figure that I will listen to Jack Johnson during labor :flower:

personally if i don't listen to it outside the delivery room- no way would i listen to it during childbirth. I had a couple of choices at the hospital- all rainforesty pan pipes and whale song. Tried to listen to it- wanted to kill someone- so i went for the radio station i normally listened to. If i had my time again(or i had more time the first time i would listen to my favorite playlist on my ipod- it would have made the situation more 'homey" if that makes sense?

I was all set with an mp3 player and some labour/birth music I had downloaded for if it was a long and drawn out labour. Things didn't quite go that way, I ended up going from 0-60 very quickly as we had a few problems and they gave me a drip to speed up the labour. So didn't have chance to think even. But I would have used it if it had been dragging on to keep me calm etc.

Well my labor is going to be way in the future...well November so not way in the future but a long while so I may change my mind. But I totally plan to have music during labor. I am all for trying this without pain meds. we will see if I have the will or not to last. But music is always my go too for calming me down or getting me in the zone so I figure its a good choice.

now don't laugh cause I have a very eclectic music playlist but I figure it will consist of some of my favs like older daft punk, and then some Florence and the machines and some Ellie goulding, and few random songs that I love. I am so tempted to put some old school rock like Rush and such but I don't know how that will go over, might be too much. :shrug:

Thanks for your thoughts girls. I enjoy music but I don't play much in day to day life. I think it's true that if you don't listen to something in normal life you might not listen to it during labour! I guess I'll make a couple of play lists and see how I feel....?

I've never listened to music during labour before. I might do, I guess I'll see. I'm not sure the midwives would approve though, I'd be sticking on all rock and metal lol. Anything else would just annoy me - whale songs and so on.

I'll have my ipod on shuffle, but that's par for the course in my house. I have a home office and I generally have my ipod or itunes (with my complete collection, about 5 days of music) on a random shuffle from morning till night. There are a few selections that I have taken off of my ipod, mostly heavy metal that I don't think will be all that useful for labor. My second I listened to tibetan monks (chants and drums) and my first I had Queen's box set on repeat. Depends on what gets you grooving, the best thought out musical plan might never come to fruition if you want quiet.

Thanks Alicecooper and Anthrogirl - great perspectives!

I am a Broadway showtune junkie and had a random playlist of tunes playing during labor... all 28 hours. Pretty sure my DH was tired of listening to the Color Purple, Once Upon a Mattress, and Secret Garden by the time we were done.

I am a Broadway showtune junkie and had a random playlist of tunes playing during labor... all 28 hours. Pretty sure my DH was tired of listening to the Color Purple, Once Upon a Mattress, and Secret Garden by the time we were done.

:rofl: I bet those songs never sound the same now!

:rofl: I bet those songs never sound the same now!

I was in transition for a good portion of it so I honestly don't really remember. I do vividly recall loving the song "Hell No!" from the Color Purple. Apparently I really got in to it when a contraction would hit. I also remember throwing up violently during "Sensitivity" from Once Upon a Mattress. :haha:

Update on my musical labor from last saturday! I had itunes on my laptop on 'just plain shuffle' (yes, including my showtunes!!) going through the whole repertoire from 5 am till about 2:30 pm when I had to start to really concentrate through contractions. At this point my Bob Marley collection came out. It's about 6-7 disks and they shuffled until about 7 then my Celtic collection (lots of Chieftans, Loreena McKennitt, Ashly MacIsaac, etc), then when things got really/I] serious, the blues playlist came on at about 9 till birth at 1:34. At a couple of points I swapped the music onto other playlists but they were nonstarters...Bob Marley and Ella Fitzgerald, Muddy Waters, BB King had me grooving!

Update on my musical labor from last saturday! I had itunes on my laptop on 'just plain shuffle' (yes, including my showtunes!!) going through the whole repertoire from 5 am till about 2:30 pm when I had to start to really concentrate through contractions. At this point my Bob Marley collection came out. It's about 6-7 disks and they shuffled until about 7 then my Celtic collection (lots of Chieftans, Loreena McKennitt, Ashly MacIsaac, etc), then when things got really/I] serious, the blues playlist came on at about 9 till birth at 1:34. At a couple of points I swapped the music onto other playlists but they were nonstarters...Bob Marley and Ella Fitzgerald, Muddy Waters, BB King had me grooving!

Oh wow! Congratulations! Did you have a boy or a girl? That sounds like quite a labour soundtrack :haha: Hope all is well!

With my first I thought I wanted music until I was actually in labour , I had them shut it off because I found to distracting me from my breathing.

I had a playlist for #1 but was concentrating on my breathing so much I didn't want to hear it. I actually wanted total silence and even told the nurses to stop talking. I don't normally listen to much music aside from the radio while I drive.

I guess it's hard to know til you're in the situation!

I plan to. I ordered an album that I feel will help me concentrate. It is soothing, progressive electronic dance music (the album is titled Sirens of the Sea and is by Oceanlab) that I feel will allow me to concentrate while giving me something to bob my head to. I think I can also use it to visualize!!

I plan to use the same playlist as when I'm working out - stuff I can really get my aggression out to! Plus, I like to sing really loudly and badly, but if I've got some sort of heavy rock/metal on I can never manage anything to screamy...this won't be a problem in labour hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->