Wishful Thinking : 6w5d no fetal pole

Hope2Bmom14

Reaction score
Hello ladies !

I’m a ball of nerves and praying I get to call myself a mom in the short future. This is my first pregnancy and I went in per doctor request to do a transvaginal ultrasound. The sac was measuring 6w5d and the yolk sac was found perfectly symmetrical, but no fetal pole was detected. My first HCG measured 42,842 and I’m waiting to hopefully see that number rise Monday.

I’m terrified I’m having a blighted ovum and my doctor didn’t give me any answers or explanation except we will see. She also order a lot more lab work for my next appointment which doesn’t settle my nerves at all
My RH antibody was negative and I’m 0+

has anyone had a similar experience? I’m praying to God I see the heartbeat next Thursday but the doctor isn’t so hopeful.

I had a blighted ovum in 2020. At 8 weeks I was only measuring 6 weeks and a few days. My betas only got up to 15,700 and then began to decline slowly. I'll attach my ultrasound so that you can compare yours.

I feel like your numbers are high, so that's positive. I hope you get good news at your next appointment!

Screenshot_20220122-201717_Chrome.jpg

I was about 6 weeks and may have been 4/5 days I can’t remember, but all that was seen on an internal scan was the yolk sac.

Had a scan about 8/9 days later and BARELY saw the fetal pole and a small flicker. They said I must have been really off on my dates despite my periods being 29 days cycle usually on track, and I had sex ONCE on my estimated ovulation day.

they estimated really off by like a week or more behind, but by the time I had a 12 week scan baby was back on track growth wise to my original dates!

my uterus is tilted backwards so I’m wondering if maybe that angle obstructed the view even with internal scan? No idea! But they made a comment that my uterus was tiled backwards on those early scans!

hoping you get some good news on your next scan! It’s not totally uncommon, even if you’re confident on dates etc like I was! Babies grow at all different rates! It blows my mind. The same baby from what I referred to above, was first ‘behind by over a week’, back on track, then was born 4 pound 10 because I had pre eclampsia and my placenta must have been starting to fail (but a week prior to giving birth they did a growth scan and told me he was approx 6 pounds or more!)
He was a tiny baby but by 18 months it was clear he was generally taller than my eldest son when he was the same age. He’s 3.5 now and fits in age 4-5 clothing. There are no rules for babies and growth xxx

I had a blighted ovum in 2020. At 8 weeks I was only measuring 6 weeks and a few days. My betas only got up to 15,700 and then began to decline slowly. I'll attach my ultrasound so that you can compare yours.

I feel like your numbers are high, so that's positive. I hope you get good news at your next appointment!

View attachment 1105665

Thank you for the input, and I’m sorry you had to go through that.

my doctor would give me our ultrasound photo (she said you won’t need this one)
In mine you could definitely see a good thick sac and the yolk sac was pretty well formed just no fetal pole, I’m going to hope for the best though I have faith !

I was about 6 weeks and may have been 4/5 days I can’t remember, but all that was seen on an internal scan was the yolk sac.

Had a scan about 8/9 days later and BARELY saw the fetal pole and a small flicker. They said I must have been really off on my dates despite my periods being 29 days cycle usually on track, and I had sex ONCE on my estimated ovulation day.

they estimated really off by like a week or more behind, but by the time I had a 12 week scan baby was back on track growth wise to my original dates!

my uterus is tilted backwards so I’m wondering if maybe that angle obstructed the view even with internal scan? No idea! But they made a comment that my uterus was tiled backwards on those early scans!

hoping you get some good news on your next scan! It’s not totally uncommon, even if you’re confident on dates etc like I was! Babies grow at all different rates! It blows my mind. The same baby from what I referred to above, was first ‘behind by over a week’, back on track, then was born 4 pound 10 because I had pre eclampsia and my placenta must have been starting to fail (but a week prior to giving birth they did a growth scan and told me he was approx 6 pounds or more!)
He was a tiny baby but by 18 months it was clear he was generally taller than my eldest son when he was the same age. He’s 3.5 now and fits in age 4-5 clothing. There are no rules for babies and growth xxx

Thank you girl for reply and helping to settle my heart ! I’m pretty sure my cycles are way off, I know I had a period at the end of November into December but couldn’t remember dates, my cycles are longer as well like 34-38 days, I also didn’t get a first positive until January 6th so hoping I just got my dates wrong! Please keep me in prayers this week I definitely appreciate them

Thank you girl for reply and helping to settle my heart ! I’m pretty sure my cycles are way off, I know I had a period at the end of November into December but couldn’t remember dates, my cycles are longer as well like 34-38 days, I also didn’t get a first positive until January 6th so hoping I just got my dates wrong! Please keep me in prayers this week I definitely appreciate them

With that info it really sounds like you may just be earlier than you think. I have weird longer cycles and it can be so hard to pinpoint. Even 1 week early at this point can be Huge! Good luck!!

Are my HCG levels too high ? I’m trying to stay off google but it’s hard when I’m so nervous and looking for answers, I feel like after reading 42k is way too high but I’m not so sure

Last edited:
NewI wanted to give an update!! I good update to give all those mommas that had to worry like me a good positive outlook

I went in today expecting to start a miscarriage my doctor gave me an 80% risk and only 20% survival of the baby.
I prepared myself for a loss but we didn’t give up the hope.
Today I went into my ultrasound and baby is perfectly healthy I am measuring six weeks and six days and the baby‘s heartbeat was 125 my doctor said that baby is completely OK.
And we found out that I have a luteal defect, my body just doesn’t produce progesterone but with the supplements we are hoping to supply a baby with enough to grow.

so keep up hope mommas miracles do happen!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->