Women able to choose to have a C section

A

AppleBlossom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15840743

What do you think to this? Should women be able to choose or should they only be done in an emergency or when there is a medical reason?

Discuss :flower:

I feel it should only be done if medically NEEDED. If you want to have an operation go and see a private surgeon :shrug:

I don't think the NHS can afford to offer a c-section to whoever wants one the money should be spent elsewhere IMO.

i do think it should only be done for medical reasons. i also think if a woman's had a previous section that a VBAC should be encouraged for further deliveries. unless of course the woman has physical/mental issues in doing so.

Personally I think that they should only be done in emergency's and offered only when absolutely necessary. I think the NHS is so lacking in money and in so many areas that TBH I see it as a waste when not always needed. :flower:

personally i think it should only be done for medical reasons. i dont understand why women would want to opt for a c-section.

personally i think it should only be done for medical reasons. i dont understand why women would want to opt for a c-section.

I too don't understand why anyone would want an operation

I've had 2 operations and recovery is horrible :(

I too don't understand why anyone would want an operation

I've had 2 operations and recovery is horrible :(

i was told i may need a c-section with my youngest and i was so upset and dreaded it thankfully i didnt have to in the end phew and so i cant personally understand what a c-section is like but everyone i know who has had one has said the same as you and would rather not have one, so i wonder how many people would opt for one and why?

As an informed choice, ideally yes. But as the NHS do not have the resources to provide this I don't see how it could be a good move.

Normal birth should be better understood and supported by HCPs so that fewer people end up seeing C sections as the easier / better option.

my biggest fear is having to have a c-section. i don't know how/why some people see it as an 'easier' option.

I had all my 4 vaginally. I lost my fourth Ava. But a doctor who is a friend said to me that in the United States A LOT of doctors push for C sections just to make money and I found that very sad,as a doctor you take an oath and to me for a doctor to put ANYONE through an operation just for money is disgusting.
I think if you need a c section than yes but just cause you want one is ridiculous and who the hell wants to come home and take care of an infant while you are probably in so much pain from the scars, just coming home and taking care of an infant is hard enough without having to do it in so much pain. Just doesn't make sense to me. :flower:

Stats show for 1% of the pregnant population who may chose this method of giving birth it will cost an EXTRA 5 million on top of birthing costs as it stands!! Seems this money IMO should be spent better on extra midwives, neonatal machines and breastfeeding consultants????

I'm all for people feeling they need one in certain circumstances but just because they think it's easier?? So wrong!

Stats show for 1% of the pregnant population who may chose this method of giving birth it will cost an EXTRA 5 million on top of birthing costs as it stands!! Seems this money IMO should be spent better on extra midwives, neonatal machines and breastfeeding consultants????

I'm all for people feeling they need one in certain circumstances but just because they think it's easier?? So wrong!

Exactly!! Perfectly said.. :flower:

I had all my 4 vaginally. I lost my fourth Ava. But a doctor who is a friend said to me that in the United States A LOT of doctors push for C sections just to make money and I found that very sad,as a doctor you take an oath and to me for a doctor to put ANYONE through an operation just for money is disgusting.
I think if you need a c section than yes but just cause you want one is ridiculous and who the hell wants to come home and take care of an infant while you are probably in so much pain from the scars, just coming home and taking care of an infant is hard enough without having to do it in so much pain. Just doesn't make sense to me. :flower:

That's not correct. Our out of pocket healthcare costs are ridiculous and we are thus more likely to sue when malpractice occurs if you check the medical malpractice lawsuit rates between the two countries. Thus, the doctor is obligated to offer a c-section and explain the benefits and risks as opposed to natural childbirth if a complication comes up.

For instance, an OB patient has GD and because of it the baby is found to have macrosomia. The mother opts to deliver naturally and a birth injury occurs. The parents sue to the OB because they feel it could have been prevented.

"I explained the benefits of early induction, and c-section delivery to avoid such a complication and natural delivery was the patient's choice" sounds alot better in court than, "Well no I had confidence and felt natural delivery was still the best option so I didn't inform the patient of their other options" The second answer is guaranteed to have the court rule against the OB, blemishing their medical record and causing their malpractice insurance rates to rise.

It's not the OB's fault that we opt for a safer option when our options are laid out in front of us when we can eliminate a known complication from the equation as a culture we practice defensive medicine the majority of the time as opposed to reactive medicine.

I wouldn't worry too much about their being a surge in your healthcare costs even here where we're villified for having a high c-section rate only >2% of those are classified elective.

I think if there is a genuine reason then a c section should be offered, other than that then I don't think you should just be able too choose, they have said that a c section costs the NHS on average an extra £1000 per birth, I worry where this money is going too come from when maternity services are already stretched too the limit, I worry it is going too put the lives of every mother & baby at risk regardless of their birth choice because there just isn't going too be the funding there. Maybe if there is no medical reason for a c section then it should be a case of paying towards the extra cost of the operation/increased after care out of your own pocket, although I dunno if that would work either. It just seems wrong (in my head) too offer elective c sections (where there is NO medical need) when many trusts have stopped minor/cosmetic (removal of fatty lumps ect) operations because of funding, I just can't get my head around the fact they are saying it is 'ok' too choose too have a major abdominal operation and they will pay for it, when it isn't 'ok' for people too still have minor (often done in GP surgerys) operations for removal of fatty lumps ect

I dunno if any of that even makes sense, but it does in my head lol

There must be a lot of misinformation out there if women would choose a section. I've never had one (I had both my children naturally, at home with no pain relief :shock: I am lucky that both births went smoothly and relatively quickly). But from what friends have told me (who have had both vaginal birth and section) the vaginal birth was a breeze compared to the section recovery!

I don't think sections should be seen as a straightforward 'option', no. I think they should be reserved for cases where it is medically the best way forward. Like others have said the extra cost associated with elective sections could be spent elsewhere.

:flow:

A lot of women who would choose a c section would probably do so because they're scared of labour/pushing and the pain that comes with 'natural' delivery. What they obviously don't understand is the immense amount of pain that comes after a caesarean. It's major abdominal surgery with a fairly long recovery period (especially when you have a newborn baby) I don't think I know anyone who has had a c section because of problems or because of a medical condition that would recommend it against giving birth vaginally.

I think women should be given the choice over whether to have a c-section or not. It's their body and it's how best they will deal with childbirth and getting their child out safely.
I was in utter distress when I was in labour because I'd been in labour for 55 hours by the time Ethan was born, I was extremely tired, I lost all energy to push and in the end, he had to be dragged out by ventouse. It left me feeling rather traumatised. I'd had to spend a night on my own in the induction suite on my own, labouring without my partner. He had been sent away when there was no need for him to be sent away, I was the only person there and I was in labour. The midwife who I'd seen when I came into triage to be assessed saw me in the morning and was furious he'd been made to go. He'd actually gone down to the car park to try and sleep in the car and I could see it from my window.
I felt completely out of control, everything was going in the complete opposite direction to what I wanted, my dilation was going back and forth. One minute I'd get to 6cms, the next I'd backtrack to 4cm.
Don't get me wrong, I'd suck it up and do it all over again if I HAD to, but I had said after having Ethan that if I do get pregnant again, I would seriously consider opting for a C-Section and hopefully avoid all of that again.
But if I can't have a C-Section, then I'd have to suck it up and just do it vaginally but as someone who was left very jittery after my birth experience, it'd be nice to know there is a choice for me. :flower:

That's not correct. Our out of pocket healthcare costs are ridiculous and we are thus more likely to sue when malpractice occurs if you check the medical malpractice lawsuit rates between the two countries. Thus, the doctor is obligated to offer a c-section and explain the benefits and risks as opposed to natural childbirth if a complication comes up.

For instance, an OB patient has GD and because of it the baby is found to have macrosomia. The mother opts to deliver naturally and a birth injury occurs. The parents sue to the OB because they feel it could have been prevented.

"I explained the benefits of early induction, and c-section delivery to avoid such a complication and natural delivery was the patient's choice" sounds alot better in court than, "Well no I had confidence and felt natural delivery was still the best option so I didn't inform the patient of their other options" The second answer is guaranteed to have the court rule against the OB, blemishing their medical record and causing their malpractice insurance rates to rise.

It's not the OB's fault that we opt for a safer option when our options are laid out in front of us when we can eliminate a known complication from the equation as a culture we practice defensive medicine the majority of the time as opposed to reactive medicine.

I wouldn't worry too much about their being a surge in your healthcare costs even here where we're villified for having a high c-section rate only >2% of those are classified elective.

Well this is what I was told by a very well respected OBGYN, maybe for you and people you know it is not true, but I believe for SOME it is true not ALL. I do however believe there are more good caring doctors than not, but I also believe most want to make money and giving women c sections is more money. The medical field used to be about saving lives and giving the best care possible, but now even when I call to make an appointment with any doctor the first question is how will you be paying for it. I don't disagree with all you have said but what i posted also goes on too.I have seen it first hand..:flower:

Tbh I thought we could choose anyway :shrug: surprised at that.

I think it's a shame tbh. My experience of 'natural' childbirth was traumatic and the recovery was awful at the time and still not something I can really think/talk about, however I'd never swap it for a c-section. At the end of the day it might have been a bad time for me but it's the way Lucas wanted to come into the world.

It doesn't help that they've got complete idiots on the news talking about it :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->