Women able to choose to have a C section

I had all my 4 vaginally. I lost my fourth Ava. But a doctor who is a friend said to me that in the United States A LOT of doctors push for C sections just to make money and I found that very sad,as a doctor you take an oath and to me for a doctor to put ANYONE through an operation just for money is disgusting.
I think if you need a c section than yes but just cause you want one is ridiculous and who the hell wants to come home and take care of an infant while you are probably in so much pain from the scars, just coming home and taking care of an infant is hard enough without having to do it in so much pain. Just doesn't make sense to me. :flower:

That's not correct. Our out of pocket healthcare costs are ridiculous and we are thus more likely to sue when malpractice occurs if you check the medical malpractice lawsuit rates between the two countries. Thus, the doctor is obligated to offer a c-section and explain the benefits and risks as opposed to natural childbirth if a complication comes up.

For instance, an OB patient has GD and because of it the baby is found to have macrosomia. The mother opts to deliver naturally and a birth injury occurs. The parents sue to the OB because they feel it could have been prevented.

"I explained the benefits of early induction, and c-section delivery to avoid such a complication and natural delivery was the patient's choice" sounds alot better in court than, "Well no I had confidence and felt natural delivery was still the best option so I didn't inform the patient of their other options" The second answer is guaranteed to have the court rule against the OB, blemishing their medical record and causing their malpractice insurance rates to rise.

It's not the OB's fault that we opt for a safer option when our options are laid out in front of us when we can eliminate a known complication from the equation as a culture we practice defensive medicine the majority of the time as opposed to reactive medicine.

I wouldn't worry too much about their being a surge in your healthcare costs even here where we're villified for having a high c-section rate only >2% of those are classified elective.

Well this is what I was told by a very well respected OBGYN, maybe for you and people you know it is not true, but I believe for SOME it is true not ALL. I do however believe there are more good caring doctors than not, but I also believe most want to make money and giving women c sections is more money. The medical field used to be about saving lives and giving the best care possible, but now even when I call to make an appointment with any doctor the first question is how will you be paying for it. I don't disagree with all you have said but what i posted also goes on too.I have seen it first hand..:flower:

A c-section makes more money for the hospital, but I doubt OB's make a commission from the hospital for having a certain number of c-sections per quarterly. I wouldn't say the situation makes them money I'd say it saves them money in the form of lower malpractice insurance premiums and job security while providing the best care possible because it's in their best interests to do so for reasons stated above.

Back to the thread, though, I find it amazing that the cost of a c-section in the UK is half the price at $3172.32 as natural birth that's $6550 here not even accounting for copays, insurance payments, etc. Also somewhat interesting that the brunt of the cost of allowing elective c-sections is going to be counseling to talk expectant mothers out of it according to that article.

No!

I watched the piece on BBC news this morning and I had a negative feeling about it. The right to choose was based on women's fear of giving birth, more so if the fear is based on previous traumatic births.

I have every sympathy for anyone that has a traumatic birth experience, I can totally understand the fear. However, I think that them following on with a c-section does nothing to address the fear. It merely legitimizes it, which I think is unproductive.

C-sections carry risks both to mom and baby, and if the section is unnecessary, the risk is also unecessary.

I think more resources should be directed at educating women about labour and birth and the emphasis must be placed on the natural capabilities of our bodies. Our bodies were designed to give birth and any fear associated with it should be dispelled, not accepted as normal.

This type of thing was also trying to be established in Uganda, and I felt it was sad as the one thing I thought Africa had going for it was its recognition and acceptance of the natural processes of the body.

Also, where are they going to get the manpower? counsellors, extra surgeons, ob/gyns anaesthetists, nurses on postnatal wards etc? I have spoken to so many women who had c-sections and so many of them said they were "left to it" on the postnatal ward as staff shortages were rife. How on earth do they propose to cope with higher c-section figures?

No. I am against it. x

If you want one without medical reasons you should have to pay for it end off...

If I want a boob job or a gastric band I would have to pay as I have no NEED to have the following even though I am scared of getting fat and hate my boobs, that it all purely my own feelings which could be delt with in better ways than having an operation.

We need to change what it is that is making women not trust/believe in their own bodies.

maybe a better way would be too introduce some sort of positive/pre birth counselling :shrug:

would be cheaper than c sections and would hopefully make for a better birth experience for those that are scared

Honestly, I'm all for it. I think a woman has a right to choose whether or not she has a c-section just like she chooses to breast or bottle feed .. besides, it's part of her birth plan, & all birth plans differ :shrug:

I don't know, I could just be talking in circles here, I apologize as it's late :haha: I have thought very strongly to have an elective c-section next time around because of the horribly traumatic birth of my daughter. Episiotomy, 4th degree tear, unable to urinate for months, hemmorhaging of the uterus, the list goes on and on. It has caused me to fear giving birth again so badly that I have even thought about ruling out having any more children :nope: I just wouldn't want to be in the horrid state I was in ever again x

I'm waiting for my elective section right now. Was supposed to be yesterday but after waiting and staved s whole day it got moved to.today.

It's elective, but beacuse both Mu twins are breach and I can't deliver them any other way. It's upsetting, as o desperately wanted a natural birth like my son.

If more and more people elect for no medical reason, more people will be left waiting. It's not fair that I could be bumped up because of someone else who choose one when they could have delivered naturally. because they had two emergencies yesterday by the time it got to me they didnt have the resources to deal with twins, even though I was first on the list. So here I go again waiting.

If I could have then myself I would, and save my sanity and recovery. People who opt for sections clearly have no idea how bad the recovery is.

As for those who have had a baby before and had a tough time then I can understand, but for someone who hasn't then I don't understand at all.

More staff is what is needed to make birth less scary.

I'm waiting for my elective section right now. Was supposed to be yesterday but after waiting and staved s whole day it got moved to.today.

It's elective, but beacuse both Mu twins are breach and I can't deliver them any other way. It's upsetting, as o desperately wanted a natural birth like my son.

If more and more people elect for no medical reason, more people will be left waiting. It's not fair that I could be bumped up because of someone else who choose one when they could have delivered naturally. because they had two emergencies yesterday by the time it got to me they didnt have the resources to deal with twins, even though I was first on the list. So here I go again waiting.

If I could have then myself I would, and save my sanity and recovery. People who opt for sections clearly have no idea how bad the recovery is.

As for those who have had a baby before and had a tough time then I can understand, but for someone who hasn't then I don't understand at all.

Goodluck hun...hope it goes well..xxx

Ah goodluck for your section, hope all goes well and they soon be here :flower:

I wish you all the best :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

I support choice. From my own experience of having a difficult labour- around 20 hours in and with my babies HB dropping low I begged them to let me have a c section, just so I knew my baby would actually live as I was seriously worried for his life.MY requests were denied for a further 6 hours until it got the to the point his HB practically stopped and I was rushed through to have an EMCS. I felt powerless and scared and out of control, my sins life was danger and yet I had to go by what the medical team felt was right, not what I felt was right.Turns out I was right.Babies die for the very same reasons, sections left too late and mums having no say.My experience has made me lose complete faith in the MW team which has influenced my choice to have an elective this time.I don't trust the team t decide what is best for my baby any more and just want it here quickly and safely.I am hoping these changes might make them decide to do sections upon request if a labouring mum decides that what is right for her x

I don't think its a good idea. When I went for my section I was told I had to wait as summer wasn't in distress but there were 2 other ladies waiting for theatre. That's fine they as were in a more serious way. Now I'd have been really annoyed If the 3 of us in established labour had to wait because someone had an elective section without medical reason.
Secondly if the nhs cannot afford to employ more midwives how on earth will they manage with the aftercare? There were 52 women who had given birth and only 10 midwives attending to them. Its a ridiculous idea as I don't think it would be manageable with an influx of c section

Although next time I will be choosing to have a section, again. My last was a CatA1. The recovery was awful.
, no other word for it. The first 24hrs I couldnt barely hold/feed/change my child. Neither use nor ornament. Even to this day my scar can hurt from time to time, I have limited feeling about 2-3 inches either side.

I dont know why anyone would choose to have one without a medical reason. However that is having been on the otherside of major surgery. You cannot understand what labour is like until youve been through it, people are naturally scared of the unknown

I don't know where I stand with this, a c-section is major surgery and carries risks, its the risks that make me have a doubt more than anything else - for someone that could have a straight forward labour on their own is the added risk justifiable? I'm not so sure it is, labour should be as safe and straightforward as possible and giving c section to someone who doesn't need it seems a little bit medically unprofessional.

Honestly, I'm all for it. I think a woman has a right to choose whether or not she has a c-section just like she chooses to breast or bottle feed .. besides, it's part of her birth plan, & all birth plans differ :shrug:

I don't know, I could just be talking in circles here, I apologize as it's late :haha: I have thought very strongly to have an elective c-section next time around because of the horribly traumatic birth of my daughter. Episiotomy, 4th degree tear, unable to urinate for months, hemmorhaging of the uterus, the list goes on and on. It has caused me to fear giving birth again so badly that I have even thought about ruling out having any more children :nope: I just wouldn't want to be in the horrid state I was in ever again x

i think in your case a c-section would be acceptable because clearly you really had a hard time having your baby vaginally. not only that i don't think it would do you any good mentally.

personally i think it should only be done for medical reasons. i don't understand why women would want to opt for a c-section.

I really don't understand either :shrug: I was told with LO that I may have to have a c-section as placenta was very low, TBH it was my worst nightmare. Thankfully her placenta went up and I had a natural birth. :thumbup:

I think if there is a genuine reason then a c section should be offered, other than that then I don't think you should just be able too choose, they have said that a c section costs the NHS on average an extra £1000 per birth, I worry where this money is going too come from when maternity services are already stretched too the limit, I worry it is going too put the lives of every mother & baby at risk regardless of their birth choice because there just isn't going too be the funding there. Maybe if there is no medical reason for a c section then it should be a case of paying towards the extra cost of the operation/increased after care out of your own pocket, although I dunno if that would work either. It just seems wrong (in my head) too offer elective c sections (where there is NO medical need) when many trusts have stopped minor/cosmetic (removal of fatty lumps ect) operations because of funding, I just can't get my head around the fact they are saying it is 'ok' too choose too have a major abdominal operation and they will pay for it, when it isn't 'ok' for people too still have minor (often done in GP surgerys) operations for removal of fatty lumps ect

I dunno if any of that even makes sense, but it does in my head lol

Agreed!

I have cysts on my head at the minute that cause me so much pain it hurts me to brush the hair on one side of my head.

They have to numb it (local) cut it out and stitch it up. I've had a few on my head already, but I've been told by two doctors I'm not a priority...but if you want a c-section for the sake of it, you can have one :wacko:

I think the word "elective" c-section is a bad choice of words for doctors to use. I was scheduled three 'elective' sections, and two ended up being 'emergency' because I went into labour before I got to the scheduled one. It was a decision that my doctor and I agreed upon for various reasons and here is the thing: I don't need to justify that to ANYONE else...that is my business, and it really is upsetting that people will assume that because you have a scheduled section people will think A) you are lazy B) you have a misguided doctor and/or C) they have the right to ask WHY you are getting a section. I don't think it is anyone's business but the mother's and the doctor's...and that's it. I am not letting some busy-body nosey "I had ALL my kids vaginally so why can't everyone else" person tell me that I did it wrong or it wasn't 'good enough'. This isn't a competition, there is no awards for bravery, and I will trust the opinion of my OB/GYN over anyone else. Not angry with anyone here, but just venting/talking about my beefs about it.

Check this out

https://allafrica.com/stories/201111250895.html

I think its a hypothesis only at this stage, but it might be worth looking into. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->