Work rant/question

BadMamaJAMA

Reaction score
Hello! I just wanted to rant about my bad day, but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience...

I work full-time and am fairly green at my communications career. In February, I learned that people were being shifted around, and that I would have to fill in for two senior positions as they looked for candidates to fill them. They still haven't been filled, and I remain non-senior.

Today, I had my performance review, which was entirely positive (think terms like "rock star" and references to the "herculean" task I had tackled in February "with a smile.") However, I learned that my job gives everyone the same standard raise percentage.

For me, the yearly pay increase amounted to a three-digit number. I was counting on more... A LOT more, given the fact that I'm currently subbing in a position $20k above my pay grade.

So I think I want to leave and seek a new job that will treat me better. But, obviously, I'm pregnant. Is this ethical? Has anyone done this? What would you do?

I think it's totally fine to job hunt, especially so early in pregnancy. I wouldn't leave your current job until securing a new position though in case the job market is slow. You don't have to tell potential employers you're pregnant (and personally I wouldn't consider doing that until getting a job offer in writing). But eventually you won't be able to hide your pregnancy which would make an employer hesitant to hire you, even if it is illegal to discriminate in reality few employers would hire a person who they'll have to replace in just a few months.

It's definitely Ok to look for a job while pregnant. Companies aren't supposed to discriminate over anything let alone pregnancy, though i'm sure it does happen. I know my sister-in-law got her current job when she was pregnant. The job she had before that ended up letting her go (she thinks it was because she was pregnant but had no proof) so she was without a job for a couple of months. She went through the interview process and didn't announce that she was pregnant (though she wouldn't have lied if asked :)) but she wasn't showing at the time so it didn't come up. Once she was hired, the company didn't seem to have any problems with the fact that she was pregnant and it worked out great. She really likes her current job and has now been there for about 4 years now, I think. :) So its definitely possible and there's nothing unethical about it as long as you don't flat out lie or something (which I'm not saying you'd do, I was just making my point :)). I don't know where you are from, but if you are in the US, I'd just make sure you check into your maternity benefits at each job you look at! It definitely varies widely from company to company!

Thanks so much, both! I'm definitely looking. I am indeed in the US, so maternity leave is a big deal. I might just tough it out til February and then "go on maternity leave" with the intention of never coming back...

I'd personally would be iffy quitting my job while pregnant . While they can't technically discriminate because your pregnant , lots of place will find other reasons to let you go especially if your still in their probationary period. Before you quit have tried talking to them about the raise?

Well, my boss said she talked to her boss about getting me this fabled raise they provide to employees working more than one job at a time. Her boss didn't know what she was talking about, even though she had given her the same raise.

I will certainly bring it up, but it's not hopeful.

I would definitely talk to them about it more. Can't you apply for one of the senior positions?

As for looking for a new job, I would personally wait. I can't help but think, like pp said, they would find something if your in your probationary period and announce your pregnant.

Either way good luck!

When I covered a more senior position I wrote a report on what I'd brought to the job, what I'd done above and beyond my usual job, kind of a mini appraisal then gave it to my boss. He passed it to his boss and recommended I get a bonus for covering the role and I did. I'm actually now permanent in the more senior role but with that bonus earnt more when I was just covering. It can't hurt to try. If you don't get any recognition then perhaps do look for another job.

Dont u have to be in a job 12 mths to be eligible for maternity leave? Thats how it is here in Australia so I personally wouldnt leave . By the time u get used to the new job, people place etc ull have to leave to have the baby

Id just talk to senior staff about what u have contribute and what u think u deserve

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->