Work vs. stay at home?

jandksmommy

Reaction score
So here it is in a nut shell. My little girl was a 23 weeker who has done incredibly well. She was doing so well that I returned to work part-time the day after her 1st birthday. She (and her twin siblings) go to a wonderful daycare while I am at work and they LOVE it there.

Here is the problem... Since my return to work, the exposure to so many other children has exposed her to every illness going around. She has had several cold and RSV this winter. Because of all this, she is now back on oxygen support (which she hadn't needed since 8 months old) as her lungs have been damaged by the viruses.

I love working part-time, it gives me a well needed 'break' from caring for twin 27 month olds and a 17 month old. The twins are doing so well at Daycare, they have friends, are learning all sorts of things, have thrived in this environment... even my little one has started to learn sign language there! But... as I sit here and suction my little gals nose for the 6th time today so that she can actually breath through her nasal prongs, I feel insanely guilty for exposing her to these viruses that have damaged her already compromised lungs.

I feel like if I resign my position and keep them home to avoid so much exposure, I am hurting her siblings; but if they continue to go to daycare, we will constantly be fighting illnesses and I will be compromising her lungs even further.

What would you do?

What about a childminder as opposed to a nursery? Not as many children so a lower illness risk

My daughter started nursery at 15 months in April time and we had a hellish 4 months or so with illnesses. We then had a few months of not too bad and winter came. She ended up in hospital for 4 nights in the dec at 23 months with rsv and bronchiolitis. She is now 4 and although the first winter was rough the rest of them have been fine. Obviously she has been sick but no more than any of the other children at nursery and I think it helped her development lots as well.

That is great to hear! We are holding off making any decisions about this for a few months as we want to see if her lung function improves with the warmer seasons. I have had many people tell me that the first year of being with other children (daycare or school) is horrible for illness. I wish now that I had waited until she was 2 years old to return to work to give her lungs more time to grow strong and healthy. I pray that the damage done by RSV ( and being sick ALL winter) will eventually heal so she can be free of her oxygen tank and have the chance to play and move about freely.

Like 25 seeker said I think every baby picks up every illness possible in the first few months of nursery/pre school etc. whether you went to work now or left it till she was 2 the outcome come could of been the same. Hope she improves soon and is able to come off the oxygen. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->