working at a gas station while pregnant

thats really weird
i thought everywhere in the US had grown out of gender specific stereotypes such as that
here on the west coast in oregon and washington and california
women arent viewed differently in correlation to men anymore
equal rights we are treated the same
women dont need to be treated special we are just as capable as men
here at home if there is a problem with the plumbing and my OH is at work i just fix it i dont call a plumber or wait for him to get home
up here women are taught to be independent and self sufficient
we dont rely on men

in my opinion isnt not kind to think someone cant or shouldnt do something based on their gender
here in oregon women would get mad if they were told they couldnt or shouldnt do something because they are a woman

I just want to say, please don't put all people who live on west coast under that umbrella. I have a lot of friends who live on west coast, who never lived here in midwest, who also feel the same way I do. They are some of my gaming friends I've met over the years. Two of the couples actually live in Oregon.

and no one is telling women they couldn't or shouldn't do something because they are woman

i said think not tell

and apparently people are

thinking women they shouldnt pump the gas because they are women

What are you talking about??? I open my own doors and pump my own gas all the time. My husband knows I can because I do. He's on the road out of state Monday through Thursdays and rest assured, I did just fine as a single mother before he came along as well as now lol.

When he does it he isn't doing it to undermine me or make me feel incapable, he's doing it because he loves me and he think's it's polite. When he lets me go up for communion in church in front of him, same deal. It's not to make me feel stupid, it's simple manners.

If I or my children see an elderly man or woman walking towards the same door as we are we will hold the door for them the same way, or usher them to go ahead of us in line so they don't have to stand in line. Not because they can't open doors for themselves, or can't go in line behind us, but to show RESPECT. There are parking spots closer to the entrances of clinics, hospitals and shopping centers for pregnant women and for women with smaller children to utilize not because they aren't capable of walking from further away, but because it's public courtesy to have them closer.

If you don't like it that's fine, but I'm pretty well traveled and have yet to run across anywhere where the people don't extend similar courtesies. It certainly has nothing to do with living "primitively."

okay yes i agree in being polite and respectful to elderly and pregnant women and families with children ect.

but it shouldnt make you feel uncomfortable for them to do something for you and not you doing something for them
it shouldnt make you feel uncomfortable to let them do their job

if anything if i knew a pregnant woman was working at a gas station i would hope that business there was really good so she could get more hours and therefore make more money cause there is no harm in making more money and i dont know her situation or her story. everyone is fighting a battle that you know nothing about so why be judgmental, critical and rude and why not just give courtesy and love in the form of a thank you and a smile

okay yes i agree in being polite and respectful to elderly and pregnant women and families with children ect.

but it shouldnt make you feel uncomfortable for them to do something for you and not you doing something for them
it shouldnt make you feel uncomfortable to let them do their job

You are entitled to your opinion. I disagree.

But I will add you to my ignore list at this point, please know I will no longer respond to your comments here or elsewhere in the future because I won't be able to see them. This will hopefully stop us from butting heads in the future. Best of luck to you.

Just to add, I was born in Roseburg, Oregon. Grew up in Grants Pass, Oregon. University in Eugene, Oregon (Women's studies major). Graduate School in Newberg, Oregon. Lived in Portland, Oregon for 10 years on Hawthorne Blvd (a total of 32 years in Oregon). All that said, I absolutely believe in giving extra courtesy to women (especially pregnant women) and elderly. I would feel extremely uncomfortable with a pregnant woman pumping my gas (a non-pregnant woman would never bother me) because of the rights of that unborn baby being exposed to something they have no choice about. I would never advocate discrimination against women and I don't believe that is what happening in this situation. Just a case of discomfort. I would be driving across the street to not feel so bad for that baby.

Born and raised in California here. I also agree that I'd have no issues with anyone pumping my gas - male, female, whatever age or race. But I would with a pregnant woman not because I have any reason to discriminate against pregnant women, but because I'd worry about the effects the fumes would have on the unborn baby. I know when I stand by to pump my gas the smell bothers me - pregnant or not. So if anything, I'd simply hope the woman wouldn't have to be in that position to begin with. But this is me not knowing if there are negative effects - if there are none, by all means, go right ahead!

i emailed my midwife the other day but she has not replied yet which is strange
so i emailed my OB
hopefully i will have a reply sometime tomorrow if not later tonight
will update with what she says

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly