Working momma, reducing supply :(

SoldierWife

Reaction score
Hello ladies!

This has been quite the journey for me already and my baby is only 2 months old. This is my third baby, all three I breast fed until about the two month mark and switched to formula when I had to go back to work.

Ultimate goal with this baby is to make it the entire year exclusively breast feeding. So we are middle of week two back to work. I pump three times a day for about 20 min each session (I can't usually pump too much longer than that due to work and by then I seem to be empty)

First week went perfect, I was producing almost exactly what the baby was eating at the baby sitters. I noticed my milk supply seemed to increase by Friday of week one and Monday. Monday I even out produced what the baby ate which was a big victory for me! :happydance:

Yesterday I still produced more than the baby ate but not by as much. I have been generally pumping about 12-16 ounces a day and my baby has been generally eating about 12 ounces.

Okay so today, I woke up and felt sore on one side, I just assumed I was a little engorged because the baby is sleeping longer than he use to. Nursed him and got ready for work, I noticed the one side was still sore. So I assumed maybe I slept on my stomach funny and it was just sore. Then each pumping session I only got one ounce out of that side. Thankfully leftie is over compensating over here and I still have produced what the baby has eaten today but I'm really starting to worry.

Could I have a clogged milk duct or is it normal to have this drastic of a change? Advice for how to help my body resolve this?

I get like that when baby has an usually good night's sleep, my boobs are sore for the next day and then everything goes back to normal. I don't really pump so I'm not sure if my supply has actually lowered on that side or not, but baby has always seemed satisfied after feeding on the sore side. You can look into foods/supplements to boost your milk supply if you are worried, oatmeal, brewer's yeast (baked into cookies or banana bread), fenugreek are ones I can think of off the top of my head. I had a bit of a scare when my first was about 4 months old thinking that my supply was tanking so I ate oatmeal and lactation cookies religiously for about a week and my supply went back up to normal.

Baby feeding off the sore side is a great way to clear blockages. Also hot compresses (or hot shower/bath) and massage of the breasts.

I ended up having him exclusively nurse on that side (I would have switched if he was still hungry after) and pumped the other side since I didn't want the same thing happening to that side. I had read that having the baby nurse in different positions is thought to help too so we ditched our normal nursing position lol! It was super sore by the time I got home from work so I fed him when he got home from the sitter and then before bed both times on that side. He got it cleared up for me. This morning back to pumping more normal amounts.

My last two kids I never had that issue so it was a big shock for me. It felt like someone sucker punched me in the side of my breast. Its still slightly sore but much much better today.

Thanks guys for the help! I think I was premature to worry but I knew you guys would help :)

Sounds like you had a bit of a clog, glad everything is back to normal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->