Working mother or stay-at-home mom?

J

jerseyshoregirl

For those of you working outside the home......do you plan to become a stay-at-home mom or will you go back to work? On one hand I really want to stay at home...but when I think of how much more I could materialistically provide for my child if I continued to work, well... needless to say this decision weighs on my mind considerably.

And for those of you who are stay-at-home mom's, do any of you own your own home-based business? And if so, what do you do?

Thanks everyone!
Jeannie

Luckily I work for my DH'd family business. For the past 6 years, I watch my sister-in-laws kids every wednesday, and my mother in law watches them every monday. So my sister in law can work 2 days a week.

next year, all her kids will be in elementary school full time, so it's perfect timing! I will take off from April of 09 til June of 2010. Then I plan to return part time, by which time my mother in law plans to retire and will watch the baby when I chose to work :D

That is a fantastic arrangement! I commute 75 minutes to work each way, so I am feeling quite torn at the moment. Financially it is worth it to continue working, but I'm having a hard time trying to imagine being that far away from my child every day...especially when he/she is so young.

I originally planned to go back to work, but now that the time to return is coming up, I made the decision to stay at home with my son.
Yes, I would be able to give him more toys, etc. if I went back, but what I'm giving him by raising him myself is far more valuable, and will last a life time.

And I'm currently taking care of my 2 nieces to bring in some extra cash. It will be a little tighter, but definately well worth it in the long run..

Daycare costs too much so I really rather not work. My check would just be paying off daycare almost so it isnt worth it to me. I do though run a business from home and it helps when i need $. I slowed down abit but plan to pick back up soon. I used to sell sooooo many childrens paintings. I can copy any room theme and paint it on canvas.. It is pretty fun. That is one of my many things I do for money. lol

I started watching my one nephew (just one day a week mind you) when he was about 4 months old... and wouldn't you know that on the days I watched him a few times he hit milestones with words, steps, etc...

I told myself I wouldnt miss those things for the world. I will be off work AT least a full year, but maybe longer. I wouldnt return full time until he/she's in school full time. We can afford it, though. I don't think I'd be as stedfast in my decision if I NEEDED to work.

Hiya,

I will be going back to work after around 9 months or so. Two reasons: Firstly we couldn't really afford for me to stop working and secondly I really love my job and its a career that I want to progress. My mother will be doing all the child care and I am lucky in the respect that I can more or less work the hours i want planning on going an afternoon a week and 8am-3:30pm. plus in the long term we want to be able to provide as much as we can for the future.

what does everyone do btw?

cath x

Hey Jeannie!
I am battling w/ the decision of whether to work/ work part-time or stay home. I have no idea what to do. My sister has been able to stay at home w/ her little girls and she LOVES it. I would really like to do the same. Her husband does make enough though for her to have the ability to stay home. My hubby makes a good amt., but without my salary we would be cutting our monthly expenses pretty close. If I choose to work we'd be able to put away a very decent amt. of money a month and have extra.

I don't know know what to do ....

Hey Jeannie!
I am battling w/ the decision of whether to work/ work part-time or stay home. I have no idea what to do. My sister has been able to stay at home w/ her little girls and she LOVES it. I would really like to do the same. Her husband does make enough though for her to have the ability to stay home. My hubby makes a good amt., but without my salary we would be cutting our monthly expenses pretty close. If I choose to work we'd be able to put away a very decent amt. of money a month and have extra.

It'll be interesting to see what we decide to do over the next eight months...and how many times we change our minds. It is a woman's perogative though :rofl:

I would love love love to be a stay at home mom. With my son I've been lucky enough to have my mom watch him when I need to work but with this one I want to figure out some way to stay home. My husband and I both go to school I'll graduate right before the baby is due and I work at my dad's accounting office but only make $10/hr so its just barely paying the bills and that's without baby #2 or car payment.

I just gotta find a way to make it work because I think at least for the first few months I need to be at home more this time!

Hopefully husband can find some sort of income before then

When is your husband graduating school? When the time comes, make sure he posts his resume on https://www.monster.com and https://www.careerbuilder.com!

Hey Jeannie!

It'll be interesting to see what we decide to do over the next eight months...and how many times we change our minds. It is a woman's perogative though :rofl:

It's so true! I definitely is our perogrative! :rofl: I have a feeling I'm going to cave and stay home though. I can't imagine commuting 75 minutes to work everyday. That's crazy girl!

I will definitely be going back to work. We don't have a choice, and like someone else had said, it's my career and I think it's important for me to continue working. I'm also going to school while working full-time, so it will be tough at times, but worth it in the long run. Luckily I'll be getting over a year off work (1 year mat leave plus some vacation time), so I'm really looking forward to that. Plus I work for a company that gives us every second monday off, I will be speaking with my employer before I leave to talk about getting every monday off, it's a government job and they are very accomodating luckily. I think if we could afford it, I would probably drop down and only work 2/3 days a week...but we can't, so that makes my decision easy! lol

I am a stay at home mom except in the summer because I work at a local farm , I will probably go back to work this summer and have my oldest daughter baby-sit the baby .

I plan to definitely stay at home for the first year, after that we'll see, maybe part time work. When the baby's born we'll be moving back to mainland Europe, so we can easily afford for me not to work. I used to think I would want to not work until my child went to school, but I don't think I could really do that, I'd need to be doing something else too.

About the 75 minutes commute...if I didn't like my work environment so much and the pay wasn't so good, then I wouldn't do it - even now! But it is worth it. And I think the one thing that makes it all okay is that I know I won't be doing it forever.

When I went through my scare last Friday, I decided that if this pregnancy was not successful, that I was going to final a job closer to home sooner than later.

As it stands now, if I see a heartbeat on the scan on Monday, I am thinking of asking my supervisor to work 5 8-hour days with one of them working from home. If not, I may ask to go to just 4 8-hour days (right now I do 4 10-hour days).

I am too tired to keep up at this pace!

I am lucky enough to be a homemaker and going to be a stay at home mom.
My Hubby works from home so we have a great arrangement.
I know that after I was born my mom started a daycare in our house to make extra money but still be home with us kids all the time..thats always an idea.
=D

When is your husband graduating school? When the time comes, make sure he posts his resume on https://www.monster.com and https://www.careerbuilder.com!

He's just beginning so in two years he'd be able to get a job in the field and then continue with his schooling. We have an amazing deal on our home so we wouldn't really need that much extra money. I'll be graduating in child development so maybe I could find a job where I could bring my kiddos with

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->