Worried about 10 month olds development - please help

crazydiamond

Reaction score
I am very worried about my 10.5 month old son. As a bit of background he was full term but was very upset for the first 6 months of his life - we think due to a dairy allergy and associated reflux which we have now fixed. As a result he didn't get much tummy time so his motor skills have been delayed - he is now just starting to try to crawl - rocking backwards and forwards on knees and can sit unsupported for around a minute. He loves standing and walks between me and my husband but is not yet cruising on furniture.

My main concern however relates to his language skills as I think he is now making process with his motor development. He has never babbled and does not imitate at all. Even now he is often pretty grumpy and the majority of the sounds he will make are of the moaning kind indispersed with a few squeaks and squeals. It is really hard to engage him by talking, silly songs, expressions etc and he tends to get upset when I sit him down to try to read to him. He will sometimes turn to his name but does not point, waves or recognise words. He also has no stranger anxiety - often he gets more grumpy if I and in the room and engage with him. I was wondering if any of this could be related to autism however he does make good eye contact and loves more physical play and kisses and tickles will make him laugh easily. The other thing I have noticed is that he often has his tongue sticking out however he eats solids well so I don't think there is a motor problem.

I have discussed this with my health visitor but she just wants me to 'wait and see' and puts this and his temperament down to teething - he has 8 teeth already and his molars are starting to come though - could this be the cause? I have also tried to talk to a couple of GPs but they keep referring me to the health visitor. I really don't know what to do - should I be worried about this?

Didnt want to r&r but havont much advice really.. Everyone knows babies develop in their own time, & from what youve said i wouldnt worry too much at his age.
However, if your gut is telling you something isnt right, id go back again & keep going until they either did something or reassured me it was still normal :)

I would speak to your HV again, you can request a referral to your Community Paediatrician for a developmental assessment which would give you a chance to voice your concerns and could put your mind at rest. Are you in a Surestart area? Some SS centres have a Speech & Language Therapist attached who can advise on early language development xx

I am very worried about my 10.5 month old son. As a bit of background he was full term but was very upset for the first 6 months of his life - we think due to a dairy allergy and associated reflux which we have now fixed. As a result he didn't get much tummy time so his motor skills have been delayed - he is now just starting to try to crawl - rocking backwards and forwards on knees and can sit unsupported for around a minute. He loves standing and walks between me and my husband but is not yet cruising on furniture.

My main concern however relates to his language skills as I think he is now making process with his motor development. He has never babbled and does not imitate at all. Even now he is often pretty grumpy and the majority of the sounds he will make are of the moaning kind indispersed with a few squeaks and squeals. It is really hard to engage him by talking, silly songs, expressions etc and he tends to get upset when I sit him down to try to read to him. He will sometimes turn to his name but does not point, waves or recognise words. He also has no stranger anxiety - often he gets more grumpy if I and in the room and engage with him. I was wondering if any of this could be related to autism however he does make good eye contact and loves more physical play and kisses and tickles will make him laugh easily. The other thing I have noticed is that he often has his tongue sticking out however he eats solids well so I don't think there is a motor problem.

I have discussed this with my health visitor but she just wants me to 'wait and see' and puts this and his temperament down to teething - he has 8 teeth already and his molars are starting to come though - could this be the cause? I have also tried to talk to a couple of GPs but they keep referring me to the health visitor. I really don't know what to do - should I be worried about this?

My son was also 'late' on his developments (basically same stage as yours) and also had the milk intolerance/acid reflux (which only subsided at 14 months). My son did none of those things until around 14 months and he is perfectly healthy & lively. Please, please, do not try and associate the behaviours of a 10 month old with autism - you will only hurt yourself and drive yourself crazy. Remember that acid reflux/milk intolerance babies were in so much pain for most of their lives - so many movements/behaviours are associated with pain, don't underestimate the mental impact of that. When the reflux subsided is when my boy really started to do all the same things as the 'normal' kids ;)

I did my degree in Teaching English as a Second Language, I have a fair background knowledge of child language acquisition - your son's language is no concern at this point and will not be for another year+ minimum.

None of the behaviours you describe even resemble autism particularly at only 10 months.

He will develop in his own time. Maybe he associates babbling and using his mouth to create sounds with pain due to the reflux?

I would not be worried at ALL - my LO is the opposite to yours, she babbles away and has a good few words and is really good with her hands BUT has only recently learnt to sit up (she was in a cast so couldnt before, but imo that to me seems like a similiar restristion your LO had) she doesnt roll, crawl, stand or walk, im not worried because she IS learning, just as your LO is learning, they just so happen to be learning different things.

My DD1 was fully walking before she was 1, but had NO words, her language was quite late in coming, but you would have never guessed it now!!!!

I know it is easier said than done but try not to worry about the things your LO cant do and just concentrate on what they can :hugs: x

Thanks all for the reassurance, I think I have been paying too much attention to all the emails telling me what my LO should be doing each month. Aliss reading your reply made so much sense, he was in pain for months so it stands to reason he will have not been able to spend time practising new skills. I will at least try to stop worrying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->