worried about age gap

Gemma Lou

Reaction score
Hi there everyone :flower:

I have a little boy who is 11 months old today, and we have started to talk about our next baby. My hubby is in the forces and has been told he will be going away for 4 months at the end of this year but will then be posted locally, with that information we have been considering getting pregnant before he goes away to make the best use of time whilst he is away before he gets sent away again (hopefully a minimum of 2 years).

The fact that he will be posted 5 mins down the road from our house will be fab and so useful, however, all our friends think I am crazy considering a 22 month age gap.......

what do you think, although I think it will be hard at first, I hope that it will be worth it as they get older and are into similar things.

would love to hear your advice, experience and opinions.

Hope to get to know you all in here in the next few months! :happydance:

x x x :shrug: x x x x

my sisters eldest is austic and there is just 15 months between the youngest 2. The youngest was not planned. What i'm saying is you just find ways of dealing with these things. I say if you think you can manage go for it.

My hubby is in the army (just replied to your other post) and we are going to start ttc in sept when Poppy will be 13 months old so we will be looking at a similar age gap. My hubby has recently had a posting close to home and it did make things much easier for us. I just look at it like this, you will always find a way to cope, if Poppy had been twins no one would have said we were crazy and we would have had to manage! Good luck to you!xx

I have heard lots of different opinions. Some swear by a small gap (kids playing together, same interests etc), others curse it (tough first few months). We don't have much of a choice as I am an older mom and will start ttc once I have my period again (am breastfeeding). If I were younger, I'd prefer a larger age gap, I think...just to enjoy my boy by himself a little longer:cloud9:

In my experience, a 2 year age gap is the most common... so I'm sure you'll be fine!!! :)

I have heard a lot of people say that the close age gap is best. I am unable to have another atm due to us wanting to get married in a couple of years and needing to save for a new car otherwise I would have another in a heartbeat.

My dad was in the forces and they had 4 years between no 1, then 12-15 months between no 2, 3 and 4, then they had a gap of 4.5 years and had another one and no 6 came 14 months after. My dad was posted to the gulf whilst my mum was pregnant with no 6 and she coped fine. She has never said she regreted the small age gaps and I know she is trying to get me have another one as my lo is 3.5 and she can't cooo over baby clothes lol.

Good luck and hope that if you do go ahead you aren't waiting for too long!

Vicky xx

There's a 20-month age gap between my and my sister. Age really doesn't matter in terms of playmates etc (my sister and I were like chalk and cheese and fought like cat and dog, but now get on brilliantly), but what you need to think about more is whether you can cope with the extra work having a newborn and a toddler will involve.

Millions of parents do it with no problem and I'm hopeful we'll do this ourselves, as I do worry about age and not wanting to be an older mother.

It all depends on the individual couple. Good luck with your decision.

Im TTC now! Sam is just under 5 months ... we always said we wanted them close and since giving birth we have been talking about doing it all over again! So now we are lol! Whatever the age gap there are pros and cons, Im hoping we will be lucky enough to catch soon but whatever happens we will be happy!

Jack is now 18 months and i feel so guilty that he wont have a brother and sister anytime soon :(

I was 18 months old when my little brother was born and we were (still are) best of friends and my mum said we were just great together. Which makes me sad as Jack loves other kids and it wold be nice for him to have company.

We just have to much going on at the moment with renevations in the house, trying to save ect ect Or i would be TTC now!

I would go for it hun if you dont have anything stopping you. :thumbup:

Hi Gemma! Nice to see you here! There's no right or wrong choice here.. I say to just go with your gut, follow your heart! :)

Hi Gemma! Nice to see you here! There's no right or wrong choice here.. I say to just go with your gut, follow your heart! :)

Thanks DolceBella! Nice to see you too!!!! :thumbup:
Whats news with you now????
xx:flower:

I agree, follow your heart! There are pros and cons to both a small age gap and a larger age gap.

Hi, I have 7 and 9-year-old girls that are best friends. I'd definitely vote for the closer in age decision. Don't get me wrong, the first few years SUCKED big time!!!! We didn't know if we were coming or going...so much work!!! But, when they were 2&4 it started to get so much easier, and now it's a piece of cake. They play all day together and I just kick back and tell them when to clean up. :) We are TTC in a few months, and I'll have to little helpers for the next one, so I'm convincing myself and DH that one new baby will be breeze after what we went through 2 babies. Wait, have I argued for or against trying again?! :-0

my mum had my brother and sister(twins) when i was about 2 years old. obv it wasnt planned that she would have twins but she said it was great to have everyone at the toddler/baby stage all at once. like my OH want 3 year gaps between all our kids! i don't want that as then i would have 9 years with babies/ toddlers! my friend is 11 months younger than her brother and they are the closest siblings i've ever met.
Sorry i'm rambling, i think you should go for it! dont just because your husband will be home though. you need to feel like now is the right time

Personally I don't see a problem with it. It's a personal decision for every family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->