• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Worried about blood test

kellyc1987

Reaction score
I took DS (2.9 years) to the doctors as he has brittle/flaky toe nails which he has basically had since he was born but I thought they'd just harden up as he got older. He was referred for a blood test for iron, vitamin d, and a full blood count.

I just called the doctors for the result and I've had to make an appointment for the results, they won't tell me anything over the phone (procedure) and now I'm really worried about what it might be :wacko:

DS doesn't have a great diet, doesn't eat any fruit (other than dried raisins) and only eats peas and sweetcorn as a vegetable... I do the whole hidden vegetable thing wherever I can and give him fruit pouches and a multi vitamin everyday and he does eat chicken/fish/beef mince and eggs.

I'm just so worried about what the blood test could show and they haven't got any appointments until 4.30pm on Thursday.

The only positives are that when I called they said they were going to send a letter and I only needed to see the nurse practitioner. Just needed to rant on here.

It might be that they’ve come back normal so they need to look at something else or even just recommend a nail treatment or something. Hopefully it’s nothing, try not to worry (easier said than done I know)

As long as he is otherwise well, I'd try not to worry too much. There are many many people out there with brittle, flaky nails (it's a common problem) who don't have any major health concerns.

That being said, my 3 year old also had toenails like these up until fairly recently. They seemed to improve when we started a child's probiotic (which also improved her eczema no end) and more recently a chewable daily vitamin.

He might not eat a lot of veggies, but if what he is eating is quality, it's not that bad, especially if he's eating eggs. Good quality eggs are super nutritious. It also sounds like you're doing what you can to supplement the lack of fruit and veggies which I imagine would go a long ways. Not doing it on the phone is more a matter of standard procedure than a sign of a problem. Hang in there!

Thanks all, it was low feritin levels (iron stores), they said it's not bad enough for medication and can be improved with diet

Thanks all, it was low feritin levels (iron stores), they said it's not bad enough for medication and can be improved with diet

You've got an answer and a solution; that's great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->