• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

worried about c section - bad previous experience

MummyIwanabe

Twin Mummy!
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Don't wish to put anyone off so please don't read on if you don't want to hear my not so pleasant experience!

I had a c section last march at 28 weeks 6 days it was a code 1 emergency and the babies (I have twins) were out within 30 minutes I think. The spinal block was so quick they kept saying could I feel this could I feel this, more than this? etc etc but before they could finish they were already cutting to get the babies out pronto. I felt them cutting, so I knew they had started! It was due to a placental abruption so very serious and very important they were out as soon as possible.

Anyway long story short I felt WAY to much and managed to grit my teeth until the babies were out then I begged to be sedated more, It was such a weird horrible situation where the surgeons were stood holding my bits together while I was freaking out at the anethistist! He eventually gave me more sedation but even then my poor DH said I was scratching at the screen trying to stop them. It was truly a bit of an ordeal I'd rather not repeat!

I have found myself expecting again (somewhat of a surprise and not expected) I've been told c sect is best option for baby which I'm happy to do but I'm scared rigid of the proceedure. They assure me because last time it was such an emergency they weren't so interested in getting me comfortable and HAD to get the babies out asap. Of course I wanted the same! I don't think the spinal block amount was enough for me and I have an appt with an anethistist to discuss this and see how this time they can make me more comfortable. I'm hoping because it was such an emergency that this planned section will be more relaxed and they will get my meds right but equally the thought of staring up to the ceiling and seeing those surgery lights and the blue screen is really scary!

Has anyone had a not so pleasant experience but their second one much better? I see pics of ladies and hubbies with their newborn beaming away and I just so didn't have that. I lost a massive amount of blood and felt so much it freaked me out.

Sorry to scare anyone who read on! I told you not too! :haha:

Is there any reason they didn't put you under? I know there are more risks with GA but the thought of having to feel the procedure seems to be too much to bear.

I'm so glad your twins are OK and I hope your next section goes much more smoothly!

They didn't the first time as twins were so premature that they would already be having breathing probs so a GA would have made it worse. This time I think they said I possibly could but I haven't discussed it yet and not sure how it would affect baby plus hubby couldn't be there so I duno want to do best by baby just dont want to freak!

What reason have you been given for a repeat CS being better for baby this time?

Is it a singleton pregnancy this time?

Were there mitigating factors to your surgery last time i.e. vertical or high incision or complications with healing?

Due to placental abruption they want to deliver baby at 38 weeks but they won't induce as it may produce stronger contractions, higher risk of pa with my history and recent c sect scar too much added pressure.
I can wait til 41 weeks but if I didn't go into natural labour it would still b a c sect.

There are no guarantees that you would have another abruption, there is far less pressure on your uterus this time as I take it it isnt twins this time?!

Surely it would be a better option to wait until the baby is ready to be born and VBAC under your own steam rather than deliver early?

You have to remember that a planned CS is a completley different beast to an EMCS, I had an EMCS but totally different to yours my baby was never in distress and I was 10 days over my EDD but it was horrible, there are so many things that you can plan for a CS if its elective that you cant in an emergency.

Take a look at 'gentle CS' by googling a CS can be good given the chance.

I had a terrible 1st labour but it wasnt a section i was "natural" but it agony i was torn by the Dr and took 11 months to mentally recover and 3 years on my tear still opens.. anyyway this time i opted for a section.. what a lovely, beautiful experience!!
I went into labour the day before my section, contractions 5 mins apart when i got to hospital. I was camly checked out, monitered, booked in and into my gown. I walked into theatre 1 hour after arriving at hospital. Everyone in theatre introduced themselvesand explained what each of their jobs were. I had my spinal done and i laid back, then someone popped thier head over the curtain to say they were going to shave me and another said they were going to put in my catheter in. The radio was on and everyone was giggling and singing. One girl then told me theyd been pinching and nipping me and id not noticed so they were beginning. Before i knew it bambino was here DH was asked if he wanted to look as her bum just popped out of me hehe. Afterwards i had lovely one to one care, a lovely bed bath with my shower gel and moisuriser and plenty tea and toast. Everyone seemed so relaxed and caring. Cos an emergency section is for urgent health reasons they dont have the time to take your "birth plan" into consideration. I had in my birth plan that i wanted to know every step of what was happening (this didnt happen in my first delivery and i felt so out of control and scared!) Ensure its all over your notes the issues you had last time and say you dont want them repeated!! With an elective section im pretty sure you will have a much much nicer experience!!! xxxxx

Thank you ladies! It's just 1 this time! :) I'm hoping as you say things will run to a plan this time and be much smoother!

good luck with whatever you choose to do. I had an emergency and it was a fantastic experience, i am having a planned section with this baby and im even more nervous than the first time around.

With a planned section they take the time to check you are totally numb. They sprayed cold water up my body and i had to say when i could feel it and it got higher and higher till i was numb. So i hope that helps that worry. they didn't start till i was completely comfortable x

I had an emergency C-section with my first and a scheduled with my second 5 years later.

During my first the numbness started creeping up my body. I didn't notice until my chest got numb. And then my arms and hands. I remember saying something and being told it was fine. And then I lost my swallow reflex. I couldn't swallow the extra saliva in my mouth. My throat was numb and I couldn't do that action. And I could breathe fine but I panicked because I felt like I was going to drown. I started freaking out and they had to get one of those dental suction things for my mouth. I have no memory after my son came out. I briefly remember his father holding him and then my next memory is waking up in a different room.

I had always thought that I'd simply passed out. My OB during my 2nd pregnancy explained to me that they must have knocked me out. That numbness travelling up your body is rare and very bad. And was likely due to a spinal being done too high.

My planned C-section went perfect, I thought. They did spend a lot of time asking me if I could feel this or that. Every once in a while during the surgery I thought I felt something, but it wasn't painful, just uncomfortable/awkward. I initially got really warm/faint/nauseous. I think this was a side effect of the anesthesia. (I don't react well to pain killers in general). They got me some water and ice chips and the feeling faded before surgery was started. I felt totally alert and fine thereafter.

Thank u I appreciate u taking the time to tell me your experience I hope my planned c section will be better fingers crossed :) x

Good luck to you. I've only had one and it was one of the worst moments of my life. It was an emergency and I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. I was not smiling in my first pictures with my daughter. I share your fear. However, I did not feel a thing! I think you had a unique experience. None of my friends have bad c-section stories. I would discuss your concerns with the anesthesiologists ahead of time and they will take extra special care of you. This time will be totally different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->