Worried about excessive vomiting

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Earl has always had quite close gag reflex. From being about 12m he has vomited pretty regularly due to too much food or certain textures (sausage skins were a bad one for many months when he was younger). He vomits a lot if he has a cold/cough and I know it's something to do with his diaphragm or the phlegm sticking in his throat in this case as sometimes he'll vomit up purely phlegm (sorry for the tmi). Sometimes it's a simple case of he didn't blow his nose and the phlegm he sniffs will catch in this throat and that's it. Tonight while tucking him in to bed I tickled him, he coughed and that was it - his whole dinner came up! He's not ill bar a bit of a snotty nose that has been lingering since the last cold he had (typical reception class bugs lol). He certainly hasn't eaten anything untoward or out of the ordinary.

My only thing that really I'm thinking may help - he loves milk, and often will have milk and biscuits at bedtime or have yoghurt or even a small bar of chocolate at tea time. I am wondering if maybe I should stop him having as much/any dairy and see if this improves? I don't really want to go to the dr's with him. I know there's nothing 'wrong' with him - my hubby told me that he was very much like this as a child, but of course now the schools are very strict when it comes to vomitting and he missed 4 days of school for no reason last half term because he was sick. I've now spoken with his teacher as I know he needs to be at school and she has said to write them a letter and maybe get a Dr's note to say we've seen someone so that they can have it on his records (not for any diagnosis, just to say it's on the system) and then if he's sick at school for example they will be able to assess him by his personal circumstances, and if he can still come to school they will allow him to come more readily.

However, there's still the fact that he's vomitting. He's so used to it now it rarely phases him but it's still not pleasant for him. Do you think the dairy might be related? Ho long would it take to show an improvement? I have no experience with intolerances but want to try this because if it would work it would be a simple fix which would help him and hopefully he will later grow out of the gag reflex issue like hubby has done.

All mine are a bit like this (so is hubby!!) it's only generally when they have a cold (only a sniffle can set it off!) blocked nose = puke, cough = puke, runny nose = puke!! Earls sounds worse than that though, I would take him to the doc just yo get the letter for school, our school isntly over strict, lucys gone a few times after puking at night/early morning due to her gag reflex! It's also mainly phelm but occasionally can be a whole meal. Hubby tends to gag/nearly get sick everytime he has a blocked nose or a cough, we are kind of used to it now!! But he was a sicky baby so I'm hoping the kids get better with age, but at least they all know now that if one of them is coughing lots the other gets s bowl as they know they are likely to get sick!!

Sorry no help, but I know where you are coming from! Maybe keep a diary of food/Colds/puking see if there is any correlation or maybe try less milk see if it does make a difference xxx

Might be worth cutting down on dairy as I'm sure I've read somewhere this makes phlegm worse as it encourages production of it.

Omar is the same and it freaks me out! He has a cough those days, so I give him dinner at 4-4.30 and he goes to bed at 8 pm with nothing other than water.

He doesn't drink milk and I don't use if in cooking, but he eats plain natural yoghurt 3-4 times a week. He also have a very sensitive gag reflex and he suffered from reflux when he was a baby.

He even gags from the nose drops. At school he doesn't eat anything.

I don't have much advise, but with elimination diet it should show some results after a week or 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->