Worried about gaining too much weight.

Clartylou

Mummy to Samuel, Pgt no#2
Reaction score
Since Feb of this year I have been on an eat less move more diet, and am glad to say I was doing well and lost 2 stone in 6 months. Then unexpectedly (we were TTC, but hadn't thought we'd fall so soon) I got a :bfp: I have now been eating badly again. The thought of salad makes me feel sick, and all I want is burger and chips. Oh and crisps! I am so worried about putting on all the weight I lost in addition to baby weight.

I have my 1st midwife appointment on Tuesday and will speak to her about continuing my diet to see what she says. I am still very overweight and have a high BMI so I don't think dieting will harm the baby as lots of "fat" stored lol.

Has anyone else been eating badly since getting their :bfp: ?

Clartylou

ive been eating crap but ive never been a healthy eater and ive totally gone off food so im trying to eat little of what i fancy iykwim xxxxx

ye hun! i hav sinc about 7 weeks n im desperately tryin 2 replace the junk im eating with fruit which im kinda managin! iv got a real thing for a roll n chips jus now from the chippie with loads of salt n vinegar! iv never been over weight! iv always bn really quiet petite but i doubt its going to last much longer :(

xxx

I wouldnt worry hun I lost 2 stone in about 6 months aswell then got my :bfp: I have put it all back on because my food tastes have gone mental. I was told by MW to eat what I fancy as baby will not be effected too much espec as my MS has given me jip.

Aww hun I can understand why you feel worried :hugs:

I've never really been a healthy eater a such but before my bfp I started to get really good at at least getting 3-4 bits of fruit a day. Now I'm lucky if I even eat one bit of fruit a week!!

But I think at this stage the most important thing we can do is just eat. With morning sickness and the rest of it taking its toll, it's better to just eat something, anything, rather than worrying about whether it's the "right" food.

The way I see it, I've got about 7months to start eating 'properly' and as I'm taking multivitamins, I know I'm at least getting the daily recommendation for each so that's one less thing to worry about.

My problem is I'm losing weight rather than gaining it and I'm eating loads of crap... not really sure what to make of that :shrug:

deffo havent ate anything healthy since finding out! the apple i had last week was prbs the healtiest in a wile! i jst need to keep down wot i can x

I have my 1st midwife appointment on Tuesday and will speak to her about continuing my diet to see what she says. I am still very overweight and have a high BMI so I don't think dieting will harm the baby as lots of "fat" stored lol.

Has anyone else been eating badly since getting their :bfp: ?

Clartylou

Hi Clarty, I totally empathise with what you are saying but I would urge you to speak to your midwife before you start any sort of diet.
I am very overweight, BMI 30+. I have been very concerned with putting on too much weight while pregnant, not for vanity but because I thought being even heavier would cause health problems for me & my bean during pregnancy. So since my BFP I have tried to eat healthily and not add too many treats into my diet. I have had quite bad MS so haven't really felt like eating too much anyway. I am now 19+2 and I haven't put on any weight.

The result of me being 'good' is last week I ended up at the docs feeling really run down, she tested my water and found ketones in it. These are produced when your body isn't getting enough fuel so it starts to break down fat just like when you are on a diet. These ketones can be passed through the placenta and can be harmful to the baby. In addition to this as I have been trying not to snack and sticking to my 3 meals a day, my blood sugar was very low, (1.3) so I was hypoglycaemic. I could have passed out at any moment and prior to going to the docs I had just been driving on the M6. The doc thought I had gestational diabetes but it would now appear the problem was caused from me not eating little & often which is needed during pregnancy to keep your blood sugar stable. I now have to have 6-7 small meals per day.

The doc said it is natural and healthy to put on some weight during pregnancy, she said if you add up the weight of the baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, uterus & water retention it should be at least 25lb by the end.

Yes cut out the junk, but don't reduce you calories... :hugs:

pregnancy is the last time to be worrying about weight, unless you're very overweight to begin with - that comes with it's own complications. By the sounds of it, you've lost some weight and become healthier. Eat what you can get down and worry about the weight when the baby's come out and you can start vigorous excercise again!

If you want burger and chips you could make a quorn burger and oven fries for a healthier option but your baby needs a constant stream of nutrients that living off fat reserves just doesn't supply. Healthier food is often more filling and less calorific anyway.

I still go for the junk if I want it but make sure i eat the good stuff too. If you are struggling, drink juice not from concentrate and soups and beans, lentils etc, they make all the difference xx

I had two weeks of feeling really rank, and just ate whatever I could manage, even if that meant the only thing I felt like eating was digestive biscuits.
Now that I'm not feeling so sick I have been craving salads big time, have had one every day for lunch the last few days - my body telling me I need fresh food! I find that as long as I don't leave it too long between eating, I can now manage to eat a healthy meal. Saying that last night I had 2 chicken pies and peas, not sure if that's so healthy!

I dread getting on scales every time I go to the MW. But i actually feel like I am getting heavier than I am. Last apptmt I had put on 4 pound but it felt like a stone! I think alot of water and bloating. I have thrown the scales out as I am depressing myself xx

Thanks for the all the replies. I have to admit that continuing to eat the way I was prior to knowing I was pregnant is making me feel like crap. I am hungry most of the day and then eat rubbish when I get home from work.

As said in the OP I have my midwife appt tomorrow so will see what she says. My BMI is 30 + and I am worried she will be mean to me.

I will try to eat little and often, but its difficult in my job and I don't know whats good for me to eat and whats not.

Clartylou x

Thanks for the all the replies. I have to admit that continuing to eat the way I was prior to knowing I was pregnant is making me feel like crap. I am hungry most of the day and then eat rubbish when I get home from work.

As said in the OP I have my midwife appt tomorrow so will see what she says. My BMI is 30 + and I am worried she will be mean to me.

I will try to eat little and often, but its difficult in my job and I don't know whats good for me to eat and whats not.

Clartylou x

Hi Clartylou, I think my last post may have come across a bit preachy & I didn't mean it too - sorry :blush: I think what I was trying to say was don't be worrying about dieting now, just do whats best for you & your baby and sod what anyone else thinks!

As for the MW being mean to you, not a single person at the doctors or hospital have mentioned my weight once but I have to admit I have been waiting for it! In fact I've only been weighed once and that was at my 12 week scan, they just wrote the figure in my notes and that was it...

My thoughts are with you & I hope your apppt tomorrow goes really well xxx :hugs:

I've put on 1.5 stone iin teh past 2 months and im about 8 weeks gone. I had to stop my 6 day a week workouts cos I was too drained :(, and my body needs the excersise so going to try doing swimming and some light gym stuff (cross trainer) now I am not feeling so ropey or tired.

Does anyone know if they let pregnant folk use gyms? like how long u think u get? I better ask! They are going to be so shocked when they see my fat size 16 arse waddel in again. lol

Yes you can use the gym, just go steady on what you do though ie no heavy weight lifting, sit ups etc xx

I understand what you are saying,but you do need at least 1,700 calories a day at least.
I am struggling with that right now,I am 11 weeks and I have no appetite at all.
All I can manage is freshly squeezed orange juice and weetabix with hot milk.

I find it odd because my last two pregnancies I was ravenous from the start and ate everything in sight.

I am trying to get more fruit and veg in,for the first time ever I don't want junk food!

I do retain a lot of water though,ick

:rofl: Scrap the salads and hands up to the burger and chips :happydance:
when i was pregnant with the twins i eat like a horse i did put on some weight but your pregnant so eat what your belly wants you to

If you really feel like somthing and worried to eat it incase you put weight on
Dont be ignore them diet monsters in ya head :rofl: and get that meal your craving for , You can easily loose the weight when you have had baby
with some ladies the weight just falls off them i have lost the extra pounds i put on when i ate all the goodies when i was pg and i never even tried hard to just make sure your eating some veg and drinking plenty of water and milk

:hug:

Im normally really healthy, ever since i quit smoking a year and a half ago ive been on a major health trip but at the mo the idea of salad/veg or fruit is making me feel ill, i just want junk. Im going to end up massive if i carry on.

My last two pregnancies with my boys I didn't want any fruit or veg at all,it was steak,creamy sauces,kfc and cheeseburgers!
Yes I ended up as big as a house,lol
I put on 4 stone I think with my last son LOL

Now all I wantis orange juice,I swear I am going to start peeing bright orange at this rate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->