Worried about incompetent cervix

londonangel

Reaction score
Hi all, now that my 12 week scan is coming up I've got a new worry - incompetent cervix. I had a retained placenta with my last delivery and had to have everything scraped out under spinal block (assume this is basically a d&c?). Anyway, I'm now really worried that it will have given me an incompetent cervix - although it's a few years since I had my daughter so maybe cervix will have healed.

Anyone have any positive stories about having had surgery for retained placenta or a d&c and then had no problems carrying next child to term?

Many thanks.

No stories or experience but PLEASE don't worry about things UNLESS they're happening... It won't do you any good. I've never had a D&C myself but I know many friends who have and have gone on to carry babies fine... Step away from google, take it easy, and unless a doctor tells you otherwise, stop worrying about the "what if's"

Wishing u a happy and healthy 9mths xx

I've had 2 D&C's and also had part of my cervix removed and I still carried to term with no issues, it's natural to worry, but this isnt something you should have a problem with, and no doubt they will check length at your scans anyway

I had a d & c back in 2005 from a mmc and I went on to carry 3 babies full term. Hell my cervix was stubborn with my first :) You will be ok.

Thanks all. My husband also keeps telling me to stop googling things! I remember being worried about incompetent cervix last time round (first baby) but then I worried about everything.... Trying to be more chilled this time but not entirely managing!

Thanks everyone. Keeping my fingers crossed all will be fine :)

I had a retained placenta and had it removed under spinal, had 2 healthy, full term pregnancies after with no problems, was a bit shocked at the size of the placenta though as I'd only seen it come out in bits the first time!

I had a retained placenta and manual placenta removal with my first son and had no problems with my second son - also my placenta came out fine after his birth (a worry of mine!).

I am not sure if a manual placenta removal is as extreme as a D&C as your cervix is partially open anyway as you have just given birth. Even with a D&C your chances of incompetent cervix is extremely rare. I remember being pregnant with son number two and feeling around 20 weeks like my cervix was so low and about to open with the weight but it was completely normal feeling in a subsequent pregnancy.

See of they can check cervix length in a scan if you are especially worried as short cervix can be a risk factor for incompetent cervix. I'm sure you're fine though.

xxx

Thank you Nand01 and Poppy. It's nice to hear positive stories from women who also had retained placentas in previous pregnancies - and also nice to hear your subsequent placentas came out fine. I guess I just tend to be a bit of a worrier (partly because I like to be prepared in case something goes wrong and partly because having been positive when I had cramping in my first pregnancy, I lost the baby at nine weeks, which seems to have coloured my thinking in subsequent pregnancies).

I feel a bit better and less worried now. Just keeping my fingers crossed that Friday's scan shows a baby!

Thanks Poppy - I don't think they actually had to dilate my cervix as before they took me to theatre they tried a second time to remove the placenta (by sticking an arm up there - yuk!) so I assume it hadn't closed up that much, although I think it's a bit odd as I thought it closed up really soon after the birth and I didn't have it removed until three and a half hours later!

Hi Hun, I'm not sure that d&c etc can cause incompetent cervix. I had cervical cancer cells last year and had a significant operation. My cervix starting shortening at 22 weeks and I am on progesterone which has lengthened it again so now nothing to worry about and it's all looking good! I would ask your OB about the surgery you had to to your mind at ease. They can always check your cervix at your 20 weeks scan to make sure xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->