Worried about lifting toddler

mjemma

Reaction score
My DS is 14 months and still wants to picked up a lot and needs lifting into his cot, car seat and pushchair. Do you think this will do any harm? I'm sure lots of pregnant mums are doing the same but when I was pregnant with DS I was careful not to lift anything heavy and now I am lugging him around everywhere!

Nope. Just make sure to keep yourself in good shape by exercising regularly, and use proper form when lifting anything (lift with your legs, not your back) to avoid injuries.

I wouldn't think there is any real harm in it as long as you don't have any really strict restrictions. I lift and carry my nearly 30lb 1 1/2 year old all the time. There's no way I can avoid it being a stay at home mom and DH working 10hr days!(I was even picking him up the day after I had my gallbladder removed, much to my doctor's displeasure) If you are worried about it, talk with your doctor. They will be able to tell you if your situation calls for any restrictions.

Thanks ladies. I was quite paranoid and careful in my first pregnancy but you don't have that luxury with a toddler running around, do you!

hi hun, im the same with my 18mo & shes a tonne weight haha! she is getting a little better and not wanting picked up as Often, but its a thing thats always in the back of mine, aslong as we arent bending and like swinging them about and silly things, we should be fine, cause to be fair we still have to get on with out day to day lives ... but all us mummies do is worrrrrrrry about everything haha !

goodluck hun xx

I made a thread about this the other day and just asked my doctor a few days ago. Its fine as long as your body is used to it, and as long as you have no health conditions.

I lift my 28 pound 16 month old all the time! I have to. Lol

I was lifting 2 year olds at work till nearly 30 weeks last time, I must admit it gave me a terribly painful back but it did me no long term harm! Luckily my sons older and doesn't really require lifting at all so I'm hoping to be a bit more comfy this time! Just avoid it where possible but don't worry about it, the link to miscarriage has been proven I'm sure to be one of those scare stories/myths.

I made a thread about this the other day and just asked my doctor a few days ago. Its fine as long as your body is used to it, and as long as you have no health conditions.

I lift my 28 pound 16 month old all the time! I have to. Lol

This!

As long as your body is use to it there are no problems as long as you lift accordingly. My son is 24 lbs and I lift him quite frequently.

Hi
My little boy is 3 and a half he weighs 20 kg is really tall he has autism global development delay hypermobility and hypotonia I have to lift him when I'm on my own my gp said it's fine remeber your body is used to lifting that weight and there really isn't a risk I have to put little man in his buggy or cot although I hold both his hands to get him upstairs so I don't have to carry him this can take 15 minutes but we get there lol it's pushing him up hills that's wearing me out lol

Don't worry :)

I lift my little sister all the time and she's 3 years old. I don't like go crazy and swing her around or toss her or anything but picking her up for hugs and kisses I do all the time and my baby is fine :) She also loves to hang all over me when I come to visit lol.

My almost three year old mama's boy weighs in at 32 lbs. I carry him all the time.

As all the above posters said, it is fine!

My girls are both around 40 lbs and I lift them. I don't carry them much as I am tired and sick, but it won't hurt anything.

With my second pregnancy, I had to hold my 1 year old every day to get her to sleep for her nap (AT LEAST 20-30 minutes). My back was killing me, but it is perfectly safe! Just listen to your body and stop if it doesn't feel OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->