Worried about LO....

WanaBaba

Reaction score
hi, my LO is 4 weeks old and im starting to get really worried about her :(

There are a few things really,

Her eating, sleeping and pooing has changed and she keeps vomiting.

She is on c+g formula and usually has around 5 oz around every 4 hours and usually sleeps most of the day and night. Also she was pooing every other day, not totaly solid but not runny, a yellowy brown colour. And never really vomited apart from a tiny amount sometimes after bottle.

Well yesterday she started only having 4oz, around every 3 hours, and had two poos in the evening which were quite runny and more yellowy than normal.

Through the night she would only drink 2 oz every 2-3 hours and today she has been having 3 oz every 3 hours. She has been awake almost all day! She was awake 3am for a feed then 6 am then 9am, taking an hour to finished feeding each time but only wanting 2-3oz! anyway then she had another hour sleep but woke up 11am and stayed awake til 7pm!! she then had 2 hours sleep and woke up at 9pm for a feed, had about half an hour sleep after that and has been having 10 mins here and there since then but no proper sleep, it is now 5 am and she has just been having her feed but only had 1 and a half oz and then vomited EVERYWHERE!!!!!! She was also sick all over hubby this morning after he fed her (9am feed) and has just had another pooey nappy at around 1 am which was even runnier and more yellow looking than yesterdays.

The only thing i can think that i have done different is give her infacol, she had 1 drop yesterday night and 1 the night before, but it says on the leaflet there are no side effects from taking this?

Hope someone can help xx

Oh yeh forgot to ask, after vomiting just now, she is wanting more milk, is it ok to give milk after her being sick as she is screaming for it? or should i just wait til her next feed? I feel so stupid not knowing this....:blush:

I can't answer why she is suddenly vomiting or has changed her eating patterns. As far as giving her another bottle after she vomited up the last one, I'd give her one if she's hungry for it. Good luck. I hope she is back to her usual self soon. Maybe call her doctor if this lasts a couple days.

Please feed her if she needs more don't wait for another feed she will be starving by then. Did you check her temperature? Can you call the hospital or community nurse? That is all i can think of i would have called the local healthlink line to talk to a nurse, if you are worried i would suggest you take her in, she is very young.

Oh, and don't feel stupid for not knowing. You're a new mommy, how could you possibly know. We all have those moments when we feel like we are incompetent (well, at least I do:dohh:).

Thanks, she has went off to sleep now but if she wakes i will give her some more milk. I have not been able to check her temp as do not have a themometor, i know i really need to get one!
I am going to keep an eye on her and if it continues i think ill take her in to get checked over or atleast ring the hosp x

well she's woken up, already lol, so giving her rest of bottle now x

How many wet diapers is she having a day? The vomiting may not be that bad. Some babies spit up aftr every single feed others rarely, most are in between. As for the sleeping maybe try more of a schedule. Put her for a nap after she's been awake for an hour. She may be over tired and not know how to go to sleep at that point? My boy used to take an hour to feed as well. His first month was very hard for me. I would literally cry and shake because he would only eat an ounce or two. Now he's almost five months and can finish 7oz in ten minutes or less. So it does get easier. She may have a tummy bug if her diapers are runny. My dr told me it doesn't matter what the colour is. Colour is just an indicator of how slow or fast the formula takes to go through the system. Let us know how she's doing.

How many wet diapers is she having a day? The vomiting may not be that bad. Some babies spit up aftr every single feed others rarely, most are in between. As for the sleeping maybe try more of a schedule. Put her for a nap after she's been awake for an hour. She may be over tired and not know how to go to sleep at that point? My boy used to take an hour to feed as well. His first month was very hard for me. I would literally cry and shake because he would only eat an ounce or two. Now he's almost five months and can finish 7oz in ten minutes or less. So it does get easier. She may have a tummy bug if her diapers are runny. My dr told me it doesn't matter what the colour is. Colour is just an indicator of how slow or fast the formula takes to go through the system. Let us know how she's doing.

Thanks hun, she is having around 5 wet nappys in around 24 hours.
The other problem im having with sleeping is that she will fall asleep on me but as soon as i put her down she wakes up! And if i put her straight down to sleep she wont go to sleep atall :( Also she falls asleep when im feeding her, after about half an ounce!! I manage to wake her up a few times for a bit more but in the end after about 3 oz she is flat out, so i go to put her down and she wakes straight up!! She has just had an oz of milk and fallen asleep so im off to try putting her down and hopefully she wont wake straight up and i can get some sleep as im shattered, ive had around 3 hours sleep in the past 48 hours :(

Have you tried to swaddle her? That is the only way that my lo gets decent sleep. I use a miracle blanket and I can't even begin to tell you how great it works! She sleeps for at least 8 hours everynignt and it would be no where near that if not swaddled. Good luck Hun. I hope y'all are both able to get some rest soon! xx

what bottles & teat size are you using? she may need the next teat size up if she's not drinking much / falling asleep while feeding. i didn't even know there were different teat sizes until after a couple of months & reading on here!
xx

Hi hun, Harrison would always fall asleep after only havung a few ozs so we started changing his bum inbetween the feed so it would wake him up slightly, maybe try that?
Also your lo might only be having a few oz as she likes the sucking for comfort, do u use a dummy? As regards to the vomiting and runny poos, could she maybe have a tummy bug? Not much help hun sorry, I would prob see how she goes and then maybe take her to the docs xxxxx
HTH
xxxxxxxx

Have you tried to swaddle her? That is the only way that my lo gets decent sleep. I use a miracle blanket and I can't even begin to tell you how great it works! She sleeps for at least 8 hours everynignt and it would be no where near that if not swaddled. Good luck Hun. I hope y'all are both able to get some rest soon! xx

Thanks hun, ive not really thought about swaddling, i might give it a try though if it continues :thumbup:

what bottles & teat size are you using? she may need the next teat size up if she's not drinking much / falling asleep while feeding. i didn't even know there were different teat sizes until after a couple of months & reading on here!
xx

Hey, im using avent bottles and i was using the 3 teats but they were coming out a bit fast so switched to the 2 teats a few days ago.

Hi hun, Harrison would always fall asleep after only havung a few ozs so we started changing his bum inbetween the feed so it would wake him up slightly, maybe try that?
Also your lo might only be having a few oz as she likes the sucking for comfort, do u use a dummy? As regards to the vomiting and runny poos, could she maybe have a tummy bug? Not much help hun sorry, I would prob see how she goes and then maybe take her to the docs xxxxx
HTH
xxxxxxxx

hey, yep we use a dummy. I have tried the nappy changing a few times and it does wake her, but she soon falls asleep again once shes back on the bottle lol.

She has had 2 bottles since the vomiting and seems to be doing ok at the min, she has also had a good few hours sleep which has been great as ive finaly been able to get some sleep! :thumbup:

Lisa! I am going though exactly the same things as you! I worried she was ill too-but she is fine.Try the swaddling-Alexis had stopped wanting to be swaddled,but i tried it again and it settled her.She is the same,will sleep forever if she is being held,but put her in her moses basket and she wakes up...also,some days she sleeps a lot,then every 4 days or so she is awake most of day and only has 1o min naps.Im glad im not the only one experiencing this!!

Lisa! I am going though exactly the same things as you! I worried she was ill too-but she is fine.Try the swaddling-Alexis had stopped wanting to be swaddled,but i tried it again and it settled her.She is the same,will sleep forever if she is being held,but put her in her moses basket and she wakes up...also,some days she sleeps a lot,then every 4 days or so she is awake most of day and only has 1o min naps.Im glad im not the only one experiencing this!!

Thanks hun, i will def look into the swaddling as she has been doing the same thing today, ten min sleeps and will only sleep on me, which makes it really difficult to get anything done! Didn't manage to eat anything til after 5pm today! I was starving lol. She hasnt been sick agen or anything today though so im happy about that :)

Hi hun, try to hold her upright for 15 mins after her feeds to avoid throwing up. Milk spitting & throwing up from time to time is very normal. They keep changing their routine while growing up & it's very normal for her to wake up more or sleep more some days, she's still adjusting to her new world.

Hi hun just read ur posts didnt want to read and run. My lo started vomiting after his bottles and would be looking for more milk afterwards I took him to the docs and turns out he had reflux he is on infant gaviscon which has helped loads. If your lo seems ok in herself and doesnt have a temperature I wouldnt be that worried but I would certainly make a trip to the docs. Im not saying thats what it will be but at least if you get it checked out it will give you peace of mind. Hope it sorts itself out x

We used Infacol for a few weeks and it definitely made Rosie vomit - huge projectile ones sometimes, smaller ones sometimes. It wasn't anything serious.

Isn't there a pretty big growth spurt around 5 weeks? I remember Nate going through similar and all previous beliefs of 'what he was like' in regards to feeding, pooing and sleeping just went out the window. They change their habits all the time. If your at all concerned ring NHS helpline but I'd just say keep an eye on her. Feed her when she's hungry and try to get her to sleep as much as possible. Babies NEED alot of sleep and are very unpleasant when they dont get it.

Projectile vomits are VERY scary but they do happen and mostly happen to us when he's either drank to much or drank alot and hasn't burped. If it continues to happen frequently, I'd take her to see a dr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->