Worried about losing job...

I am not in this position but in my head i was. I quit my last job (hated it) and got offered 2 jobs which I took (part time and full time) when i went for interviews we were thinking I was pregnant, i was late which rarely happens and had lots of symptoms (probably the stress of leaving a job without one to go into) and during that time i was convinced i was to be honest and i didn't want to tell them but i didnt want to test so i could say "i didn't know for sure at that stage" if they didn't take the news well. I think it is a very controversial topic because employers see it from their view and employees see it from theirs.
But no one in this day and age should discriminate and no woman should EVER feel like they she shouldn't get pregnant out of fear of losing/not getting a job.

A probationary period is usually 3 months - 6 months (legal maximum) in the US. I plan to tell soon as my initial screenings just came back clear. I will be just a little over a month there.

My concern really is them reacting poorly. I've been able to keep my emotions in check but having someone react negatively would irritate me.

I'm unsure as to HOW to go about announcing it, I figure my boss first and then leave it at that. I just don't know what to say. I don't want to frame it like it will be an inconvience as I get that these things can change fast but I've had no issues and was able to work up until my due date with my first.

It was only by luck that my uncle in law didn't get an earful when we announced. My MIL made a joke about it being unplanned and I said the JOB was unplanned, not the baby. I heard UIL make a nasty comment about bad timing, insinuating that I was a bad person for not putting NY career first. BIL heard it too and got mad (found this out later) and everyone else ignored UIL because he's a loudmouth jerk. It did hurt a bit to hear that and I'm sure one or two of the people I work with will react similarly. I don't intend to tell them off obviously and would go to my boss/HR if nasty stuff was said to resolve it but I'm just hoping they won't find a reason to let me go. My belly is VERY obvious at this point and there are only so many things I can wear to camouflage it. I still fit my non-maternity work pants for now but tops are really tight around the belly.

Good luck! You never know, they may react very positively and all this stress for nothing. Hope it goes well.

Not sure what its like in the US but it Canada they are allowed to let you go at anytime in the first 3 months without an explanation. Its known as like the trial period. After the 3 months they need a damn good reason usually with being written up multiple times etc. If it is the same there they could let you go and just say you werent fit for the company. Id wait a bit if possible

Is that for any job in Canada? I live in Ontario too and was never told when I was hired that I was under going a probation period (which is what my husband used to be told with a few of his jobs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->