Worried - Heart Murmur

Lyndz

Bella's Mummy
Reaction score
Hi, I took Bella to the doctors this afternoon to just get him to check a cough that isn't getting better (turns out it's not a cough, just a very mucusy cold) anyway, as he was listening to her chest, he said she had a heart murmur and did i know. Well, no, i didn't. Nothings ever been picked up before and she's a very healthy baby (usually!). He's refered her for an appointment with a cardiologist (in June) just to check it. He said chances are that it'll be gone for then, it was maybe caused by her being a little distressed with him listening to her chest, she got very upset and cried.

I'm just quite worried and i'm almost in panic over drive! Has anyone had experience with this? If so, did the murmur clear up on it's own? If not, what happened?

Thank you ladies :)

My Lo has a slight mummur when shes poorly/distrssed. Ive had it cecked and its only there when shes poorly.

Its very common, the majority of infants grow out of it.

It sounds a lot more shocking that the reality of it.

I think Lo's was picked up around the 7-9 month mark when she got her first nasty cold

My sister was told that my niece had a heart murmur when she was a baby, it cleared up by itself & she's now a very happy healthy almost 5 year old x
Easier said than done I know but try not to worry too much I'm sure she'll be fine x :hugs:

Thank you. I'm trying to stay calm, it just sounds serious! I've done a little reading up and from what i've read it seems pretty common, just wanted to hear others experiences :)

It's a very common thing, I wouldn't worry too much about it! I had a heart murmur as a child too & it's never been an issue for me.

for us- lyssa has a major heart condition, and that's what causes her murmur- but no need to worry cos murmurs are common.
the reason i replied is cos im baffled he could hear her heart well enough to diagnose a murmur when she was crying, that seems really odd to me, as lyssa has a very loud and noticable one and you can't hear hers at all if she cries x

for us- lyssa has a major heart condition, and that's what causes her murmur- but no need to worry cos murmurs are common.
the reason i replied is cos im baffled he could hear her heart well enough to diagnose a murmur when she was crying, that seems really odd to me, as lyssa has a very loud and noticable one and you can't hear hers at all if she cries x

She didn't cry immediately, when he first put the stethescope (?) on her, she looked at him for about 10 seconds then started wailing! When he stopped, she stopped. So he waited for he to stop crying then had a quick listen again, about 5 seconds later, she wailed again. I'm assuming this is when he picked up the murmur, in the inbetween when he got to listen without her crying :)

Thank you for your post :)

ah makes more sense.
i was ranting here about him worrying you for possibly no reason!
fingers crossed the appointment goes ok. x

:lol: It's ok, i probably didn't explain very well in my first post! She started off all smiles and laughing to him, then he put the stethescope in and on her chest, first of all she looked at me like "um, mum, whats he doing", then at him, then her lip came out (which was kinda cute) then she wailed!

Thank you, me too!

:hugs:, It's not the same thing but when I was pregnant the midwife mentioned my heart murmur that I didn't know existed and neither did my mum ,it worried me too so can only imagine what's going through your mind! She said it would prob clear up itself and I've never heard anything about it since x

My adult brother has a heart murmur. It's never affected him to my knowledge.

My daughter was born with a heart murmur and she's completely fine in herself. Does have fits, but that's nothing to do with her heart. Also found out my Nan and Grandad both have heart murmurs and they are completely healthy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->