Worried I will not be crazy about baby?

cowlicks

Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of babies. I don't go and play with people's babies, I don't ooh and aaah over them. I'm very much into my cat and treat him like my kid. I'm ok about kids, like them better than babies but still not a big fan of other people's kids.

I'm ready for motherhood and I know the sacrifices we all have to make to bring up our kids. I'm sure there'll be lots of fulfilling moments and I'm looking forward to that challenge. However, I'm worried I won't be crazy about my own baby. Has anybody not been a big fan of babies/ kids but change your mind after you had your own, or just you're not a fan of other people's babies/ kids but you're crazy about only your own?

I know this is kind of a crazy thing to worry about, I'm sure when I actually have the baby I will love it so much, but... I can't comprehend that now because I've never had a connection with babies.

You'll be fine. :)
other people's kids will probably seldomly make you react the same way as your own.
Also...i don't think you have to be crazy about your child... it's totally okay with you just love it and care for it and try to do the best you can to keep it safe and happy.
I think I prefer being not crazy. ;)
I personally also like children that can talk, because it easier to communicate with them and i like to see how they develope a very own personality... but I'm very sure i can still love the shrimp when it's here and enjoy their baby-time too.

I was not particularly a baby person either prior to my son. I never wanted to be around them, and only liked kids who talked so they could communicate. I didn't have an aversion or anything, I just was super uncomfortable around kids...until I had my son everything changed. It takes time and patience and there are some real frustrating moments, but the good always outweighs the tough times. I'm sure you will be fine. As long as you love and care for the child, you will be fine.

I was a bit like that..... Except I always loved little babies, just once they grew into toddlers and older children in general I wasn't a fan haha..... Now I love children.....everyones children, all ages I just love them....so much joy and potential in each and every one of them - being a mum has totally changed me, Your own will always be more special though :) I'd say if you love your cat like a kid you shall be just fine :)

I'm not a fan of most kids. There's a select few that I like, but in general not a fan. But I love my dd to pieces and think she's the greatest thing ever. I want her to stay little forever but she's growing so fast :(

I have always basically disliked other people's babies and kids, but I'm a huge fan of my own! It really is different with your own baby. I worried about the same thing when I was pregnant the first time, but I needn't have worried. I'm crazy about him!

I have two friends that got pregnant and never wanted kids and we're never a fan of babies/kids! They ended up pregnant and they're head over heels over their kid! I was actually scared for one of my friends as I thought she would really dislike being a parent but she is amazing!!

Your own kids are totally different to other people kids lol most kids actually annoy me after working in long day care before having mine. I mean i liked my job and the kids were great most of the time but i was glad when it was time to go home at the end of the day lol
My cousin never wanted kids, ever. She ended up having an surprise with her partner and she is such a good mum to her daughter and step kids and she's very glad she came into her life :)

Although all babies are cute to look at I too was never the type to want to play or hold other people's babies. I am on my 3rd pregnancy and I still don't like to play or hold other people's babies or kids at all. I like to look at other people's babies and smile but from a distance.

I am absolutely crazy and head over heels for my kids though. I love to hold them, play with them, sniff them (I'm weird), cuddle them. Oh I don't know what I would do without them.

You will be fine ;)

You may not be crazy about your baby right away, and that's okay. I am a big baby lover, but when my second was born, we had just never bonded. The pregnancy was a total surprise - I found out the day before I was supposed to have a very important surgery, so I had to cancel. I was devastated. I would have to live with this issue until months after giving birth, when I could finally have it (which I never rescheduled and got pregnant again when my second baby was 2 months old, and I was on the pill).

Anyway, long story short, I resented him all the way through the pregnancy. When I saw him, he was beautiful, but I didn't have that bond I already had with my oldest when he was first born. I'd later come to find that I also had a beautiful bond with my third baby right away, but with my second, it took - and still takes - a lot of effort. My other kids are just like me, and we get along perfectly, but my second born is just like his other parent, and I really have to set time aside for him, to bond with him and make sure we stay close and have a good relationship with one another. It is a struggle sometimes because I don't just automatically understand why he's feeling what he's feeling or what's going on with him, and it's effortless with the others because I can always understand exactly why they'd feel that way and make things better. But, I love them all just the same, and this issue means that he gets more of my attention and focus, and things between us are getting better and better as he and I both learn how to communicate more effectively with each other.

Just thought I'd give another perspective. And even if your issue isn't just a personality clash, I think it's the same outcome. You might just need to put more effort into bonding with your baby. Pregnancy, especiallyonce you're able to feel your baby moving around, is the perfect time to start trying to form a bond with your baby. Once your baby can hear - around 18 weeks along - you can start enjoying books and music together. At around 12 weeks, your baby already reacts to touch, and even if you can't feel your baby, rubbing your belly and loving on your baby is totally possible. The more focus you put into it, the more you'll start to love and cherish your baby, and the easier it may be for you once your baby is born. Regardless about how you feel about babies, once you bring life into the world, your entire outcome on everything may change.

Thanks so much- it's really reassuring to hear!
I'm sure it's going to be alright; I guess I just thought that from the moment I'm pregnant I would suddenly turn into a child-loving person :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->