Worried. Possible Autism? *UPDATE PAGE 3*

my ex husbands reaction when i told him i thought he might be autistic was "theres nothing wrong with him, he's just been mummied too much"

What a daft thing to say! :sad1:

i know Gem, i couldnt believe it!!
his answer to the "situation" is to sit him in front of a computer console for most of the time he has him :-(

hi Ladies
My oldest son was diagnosed with aspergers when he was in gr.2. He is now 19 years old.
Some of his symptoms when he was younger was chewing, chewing on everything from drawstrings, and when you have a hole in like, sweatpants at the knee and there is fraying material, he would put his knee up to his mouth and chew on that too. When he got upset or fustrated he would mix his words more like he was telling the sequence of events that happened, backwards... if that makes sense. If he couldnt express himself verbally in the right way he would get very emotional, and start to bang his head or scratch his legs...
Now he is extremely intelligent his hobbies are computer animation. He is very affectionate, He doesnt do well socially he has issues with identifing person space and facial expressions and there meanings.
FULL OF LOVE! all he wants is to love everyone LOL.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes

just wanted to say thank you x its good to know.
my son is a chewer of cuffs and collars! and is at the moment going through lots of repetitive movements constantly, so we are having a tough time just now.
hopefully this stage will move on and then no doubt we will be faced with other challenges x

Hello everyone, I'm so glad there's already a thread about this, as my concern for my 21month old daughter Lauren is very similar. No words, just blows raspberries or "quacks" (a noise she does at the back of her throat that sounds like Donald Duck!), doesn't point to things, is quite aggressive, lines up and stacks toys beautifully but does not want to play with her twin AT ALL (breaks my heart when I see her sister's little face :nope:), carries round a plastic spoon everywhere and occasionally sleeps with it, has recently become obsessed with climbing (always liked to but has gotten scarily angry if stopped lately). She is stocky whereas Emily is slight and although she normally leaves Emily well alone, when she got in her way when trying to scale the railings around the TV area, she nearly ripped her head off trying to drag her out of the way :cry: Hence why I feel I can't be persuaded to ignore the symptoms any longer, despite everyone telling me I'm imagining things.

I had called the HV round a month or so ago about delayed speech - Emily's slow too but at least she babbles and has a go, and tries to copy - but I felt she dealt with me reeeally patronisingly, didn't interact with or watch girls at all, just gave me a teen-mum speech about emphasising the name of the object they're holding etc etc etc. I'm an infant school teacher by trade, I do know how to promote a good environment for language.

Who else should I turn to if the HV isn't interested?? xxxxxx

Go to your GP push to see a paediatrician or go to another HV.

I have fought bloody hard and I am now getting my daughter seen at hospital and she has speech therapy starting soon.

It really is a mine field.I hope you get help darling.I know how you feel its so worrying x

Thank you sooo much Eoz :hugs:
I have no problem at all with having Lauren "labelled", I know it's a huge deal for some parents and it's understandable, but having taught in a school that had 56% of children on an IEP for special educational needs, I know how vital it is that a blind eye is not turned. THAT's what really scares me, that if my concerns aren't taken seriously by somebody, she will end up having irreversable social problems.

Thanks again :flower: It's nice for someone to say something other than "She'll grow out of it, she's too young to be worried about yet" :dohh: xxxx

Read my thread then you'll see why i'm with you xxxxxxxxx

https://www.babyandbump.com/special-needs/449924-autism-dla-sen.html

to the above post, shes not to young. I started the process with my son from 22mths.

My son is 6 now and also a chewer. His clothes get destroyed :(

to the above post, shes not to young. I started the process with my son from 22mths.

My son is 6 now and also a chewer. His clothes get destroyed :(

Lauren chews! Her milk teeth are shot because she chews her beloved spoon :dohh:

Its so bad isnt it, and people just dont understand either :( You can add me on FB if you want to chat, just PM me :)

Thank you hunny :flower:

I downloaded the checklist for autism in toddlers (the M-CHAT assessment version) and although she only "scored" on two thirds of it, all of the crucial answers - questions 2,7,9,13,14,15 - she ticked every one of those :nope:

Has anyone else heard of/ seen/ completed this assessment?

ooo no do you have a link?

ooo no do you have a link?

It's pretty hard to find, can't even remember where I got it, and you had to do a declaration that you weren't affiliated to this or that or whatever (sorry, pregnancy brain, it was late last night so don't remember lol) but it's meant to be the one the GP uses as a starting point. HOWEVER, I downloaded it, so give me a minute to figure out how to attach a word document, and I'll stick it on for you :thumbup:

thank you xxxxxxxxxxxx

Can't do it!! :nope: :growlmad:

So until I figure out how to attach a word doc, I'll copy and paste the text into this post, then maybe you could copy and paste it into a word document... sorry about that.

V V V V V V V

M-CHAT
1. Does your child enjoy being swung, bounced on your knee, etc.?

2. Does your child take an interest in other children?

3. Does your child like climbing on things, such as up stairs?

4. Does your child enjoy playing peek-a-boo/hide-and-seek?

5. Does your child ever pretend, for example, to talk on the phone or take care of dolls, or pretend other things?

6. Does your child ever use his/her index finger to point, to ask for something?
7. Does your child ever use his/her index finger to point, to indicate interest in something?

8. Can your child play properly with small toys (e.g. cars or bricks) without just mouthing, fiddling, or dropping them?

9. Does your child ever bring objects over to you (parent) to show you something?

10. Does your child look you in the eye for more than a second or two?

11. Does your child ever seem oversensitive to noise? (e.g., plugging ears)

12. Does your child smile in response to your face or your smile?

13. Does your child imitate you? (e.g., you make a face-will your child imitate it?)

14. Does your child respond to his/her name when you call?

15. If you point at a toy across the room, does your child look at it?

16. Does your child walk?

17. Does your child look at things you are looking at?

18. Does your child make unusual finger movements near his/her face?

19. Does your child try to attract your attention to his/her own activity?

20. Have you ever wondered if your child is deaf?

21. Does your child understand what people say?

22. Does your child sometimes stare at nothing or wander with no purpose?

23. Does your child look at your face to check your reaction when faced with something unfamiliar?

Answers that are possibly cause for concern: all No apart from qus 11, 18 & 22.

Key “red-flags” are questions 2,7,9,13,14 & 15. No to all these questions are definite grounds for concern.

Hi there! I hope all is going well! I know the investigations take months and months, but it's good you started it off, nothing will change, he'll still be your brave boy, you'll just have a diagnosis and extra help for him in school and such (also you can get dla and increased child tax credits for him.. I put my daughters in a saving account for her for emergencies)
By "nothing will change" I mean of course the way you see him! He may progress over time, it just depends where on the spectrum he is. I know it takes ages, when I was waiting I got so frustrated with all the medical officials.. But fact is they don't like labellinf because then the child is stuck with that label often for life, better to be sure and not rush I guess.

Sorry this isn't helping you at all is it?

At tge end of the day, you are not alone in this, there are parents all over the world that have been through what you're going through and they live having someone to talk about it with! I suggest checking out local groups, even if not diagnosed, they really are welcoming and it does help to know they're there. (plus they understand why your child is a bit off, so you don't get the judging looks!)

I'm here to ramble on some mire if you'd like, just give me a shout :)

Chin up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->