Worried. Possible Autism? *UPDATE PAGE 3*

yes I'm talking "flip the bird" middle finger!

Adanma

Hey, just thought I would give a little update. Jason is seeing the health visitor tomorrow, took them ages to give me an appointment. I'm going to make a list of "symptoms", I just hope she actually listens. I've not had the best experiences with health visitors.

I'll let you know what she says. :)

Well the health visitor has been and gone. She was actually really nice and listened to everything I had to say and asked questions regarding his habits.

She is coming back next Tuesday with an assistant who has experience in Autism diagnosis and is doing the first test. She said that his symptoms are valid and she also acknowledged that he was in his own little world the entire time she was here and say his arm flapping.

She did say though that it could just be the way he is. She said that even if the tests come back negative he needs some additional support through play and speech therapy.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

Good luck, will they refer you to pead or a CAMHS as I know a few people have to verify the diagnosis before it is given xx

hi ya my little boy who is 2 years 5 months displays similar problems he has lack of speach although is slightly improving, but hes baheviour is terrible he has been referred to speach therapy and had a assessment which will now involve 2 more, 1 at nursery and one here. my eldest has aspergers and adhd so the concerns are there

good lucki feel this time round i was listened more due to matthews problems, they didnt want to know when matthew was younger only got sorted when he started school

Update

The health visitors came today and did a development test.

It went pretty well, Jason was in a good mood so they got quite a lot of attention from him.

The had him do lots of different things. Stack some wooden bricks, put little pegs in a cup in 30 seconds, feed a doll and brush her hair and numerous other things. Asked me questions about him.

After the test she added up the score. He scored well (24 month level) in manipulative skills, interactive social and self care social skills and was right on target with locomotive skills.

He scored bad with visual, hearing & language and speech and language. He is at the same level as a 10 month old baby for those except for visual which was the same level as a 12 month old.

He is being referred for speech therapy and for a fortnightly development through play therapy.

She said she couldn't say whether he has Autism or not, that is going to be kept on note and will always be in the back ground and it will be discussed at the meeting she will have with the children's centre and a doctor but she wants to see if the therapy will help him first.

Glad to hear things are getting taken care of Weeplin! Keep us posted as to how he is progressing!

Adanma

hi i have 3 boys & i girl my 2 oldest lads who are now 16 & 14 years old did not speak really untill they started nursery my oldest said the odd work & my 2nd oldest didn,t say a word they wanted me to send him to speech therapist but i said no he would talk in his own time , by the time he was 3 & a half 6 months after starting nursery he wouldn,t stop , now he is almost 15 years & we have to tell him to be quiet a bit , i hope your sonmakes some improvement , my daughter was best speaker she started talking at 18 months . violet

Weeplin -- i think it is wonderful that you are being proactive & getting the evals & services your son needs. It certainly does not help our children to be in denial or to be offended when a professional/friend/family member points out a possible concern. It's quite a puzzle sometimes to figure out what is going on!!!!!!! But we need to be open to all possibilities... love our children unconditionally... and help them reach their full potential.

My son is 3 years old. He is still a puzzle & i still have so many unanswered questions. I hear so many conflicting ideas/suggestions: ADHD, High functioning Autism, PDD, Verbal Apraxia, Hyper-kinetic Syndrome, speech delay, OCD............ lol. I've heard it all!!! I don't know yet exactly what diagnoses my sweet little boy has.

Hang in there. Keep observing, keep researching, keep asking questions! And by all means..... if services are recommended, follow thru with them! Early intervention is crucial! An official diagnoses may be a while down the road. Some of the traits/characteristics will become more noticeable over time. As their mommies, though, we know when something just isn't right. I knew since my son was under a year old.

My mom was... and still is... in denial regarding my son's "differences". Some people are just like that. I see it all the time. But it certainly doesn't do our children any good to be in denial! :shrug:

Good luck! :hugs: I'm glad speech & play therapies will be starting soon! Your son will benefit from both.... regardless of what his diagnoses may or may not be. There is no such thing as "too much attention!" :hug:

LOL.......... sorry for all the rambling..... Hope it makes some sense!

Weeplin -- i think it is wonderful that you are being proactive & getting the evals & services your son needs. It certainly does not help our children to be in denial or to be offended when a professional/friend/family member points out a possible concern. It's quite a puzzle sometimes to figure out what is going on!!!!!!! But we need to be open to all possibilities... love our children unconditionally... and help them reach their full potential.

My son is 3 years old. He is still a puzzle & i still have so many unanswered questions. I hear so many conflicting ideas/suggestions: ADHD, High functioning Autism, PDD, Verbal Apraxia, Hyper-kinetic Syndrome, speech delay, OCD............ lol. I've heard it all!!! I don't know yet exactly what diagnoses my sweet little boy has.

Hang in there. Keep observing, keep researching, keep asking questions! And by all means..... if services are recommended, follow thru with them! Early intervention is crucial! An official diagnoses may be a while down the road. Some of the traits/characteristics will become more noticeable over time. As their mommies, though, we know when something just isn't right. I knew since my son was under a year old.

My mom was... and still is... in denial regarding my son's "differences". Some people are just like that. I see it all the time. But it certainly doesn't do our children any good to be in denial! :shrug:

Good luck! :hugs: I'm glad speech & play therapies will be starting soon! Your son will benefit from both.... regardless of what his diagnoses may or may not be. There is no such thing as "too much attention!" :hug:

LOL.......... sorry for all the rambling..... Hope it makes some sense!

Thank you :hugs:

Hi,

I work with special needs kids and I just wanted to say that whether he just has a developmental delay or if he has something more such as autism, you have done the absolute best thing for him! Early intervention with any type of issue makes HUGE HUGE difference!! :-D

Good luck!! :hugs:

Hi there,

I am in the same place as you, at Oscars 2 yr review the hv picked up on certain things. He now has a portage worker doing play therepy, he goes to a session at preschool twice a week, has speach therepy, has seen a peadiatric, child psychoogist and is waiting a child psychiatrist. We keep getting conflicting views and are no closer to knowing anything, I guess it will just take time. Very frustating though.
Oscar runs bacck and fore, makes car noises, blows resburries - we call it stimming (self stimulating) he gives little eye contact and has regressed in language skills, he doest talk and he is now 30mths, he was able to count to 10 when 2 but is losing that too. Although he is a very loveing boy and never any bother. He doesnt point at things, or bring you things he finds interesting, he takes you by the hand and pushes you to what he wants, kind of like using you as a tool, ad is osessed with cars and doors, although he doesnt line things up and change in routine doesnt bother him. Sometimes I just wish someone would give us a straight answer, ya know, but nothing yet.
You're not alone and sometimes you feel low about it questioning the future, but on the whole we just tryto enjoy his age as it is......like my husband said, all parents have challenges, ours will just be different thats all.
Hugs to you, sorry if i have rambled, jut wanted you to know your not alone :hugs:

my son was diagnosed last year with asd. he will be 10 in december, my ex husbands reaction when i told him i thought he might be autistic was "theres nothing wrong with him, he's just been mummied too much"

I'm going thropught the very same with my daughter.She self harms badly though and at 23 mths thats is scary as hell.She is having play therapy and speech therapy but so far we haven't had much progress.

It took me 3 months to teach her one single word but finally she does say Mummy.Sadly my princess is losing lots of weight and has gone down hill so badly.She is being referred to the peads.

I hope your son comes on in leaps and bounds hun.And hugs to you xxx

hi Ladies
My oldest son was diagnosed with aspergers when he was in gr.2. He is now 19 years old.
Some of his symptoms when he was younger was chewing, chewing on everything from drawstrings, and when you have a hole in like, sweatpants at the knee and there is fraying material, he would put his knee up to his mouth and chew on that too. When he got upset or fustrated he would mix his words more like he was telling the sequence of events that happened, backwards... if that makes sense. If he couldnt express himself verbally in the right way he would get very emotional, and start to bang his head or scratch his legs...
Now he is extremely intelligent his hobbies are computer animation. He is very affectionate, He doesnt do well socially he has issues with identifing person space and facial expressions and there meanings.
FULL OF LOVE! all he wants is to love everyone LOL.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes

Moms and Mums that have posted here...I too, am in "your boat"...my 2 year old is not talking, he grunts, he covers his ears, he paces back and forth...he loves to fuss with other people's hair. He does not use utensils....he is an EXTREMELY picky eater! And lately he throws BIG FITS and has begun to BITE!
He has started OT and speech therapy.
I am aware of "sensory issues" and believe he has some. I am grateful we have begun therapy with him, as other moms have stated "early intervention is key" :)
I wanted to have another baby, and we are now expecting....
Lately I have tremendous guilt and fear that I won't be able to give the attention and help to my 2 year old once the baby comes. I have faith that God knows I can handle this, but at times, it's SO overwhelming..
I know we are the perfect parents for our kids, but it's HARD sometimes...all I try to do is forget the nastiness and COUNT MY BLESSINGS!
sorry for the rant...but I am glad this site is here to share with others! It helps!
Our 2 year old has started to "sign" 3 words now..we've been working with him for 2 months now :)
I think a diagnosis is a ways down the road, at this moment I am thinking it could possibly by aspergers, but he has a FABULOUS TEACHER and I am SO grateful for that!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->