worried SICK

3babesforme

Reaction score
i am beyond sick with worry. 2 days ago we had a level 2 ultrasound. i'm slightly higher risk than normal because my first son had a heart defect (he's a healthy 4 year old now :thumbup:) so i was the one who actually requested a level 2 vs a normal anatomy scan. everything looked great. the perinatologist pulled us back and said- your baby looks wonderful, very healthy... BUT, his femur bones (thigh bones) are measuring 5 days behind and that's very common with down syndrome. my heart sank. she then went on to say- i hope you hurry up and decide so that way we can terminate sooner than later. i am so heartbroken. i talked to my normal doctor and he said shortened femurs can just be a result of having short parents (i'm only 5'4" and my husband is only 5'6"). this is our third baby and our second one actually had 3 soft markers for down syndrome- enlarged kidneys, soft spot on the heart, and shortened femurs. i was more naive and didn't worry, and no one told me that he was doomed to have down syndrome and he came out perfect, and is a very smart 3 year old now. but the doctor this time worried me sick. i just had the NIPT testing done today that gives a 99.1% accuracy of detecting t21 (down syndrome, t18 and t13.

im just venting. nothing can ever go my way.

I'm no expert but can only share that over the years on this forum I have read similar stories and each time everything turned out to be fine. There was always a reason-short parents or baby just hadn't caught up at the time. At least you got the NIPT test and in my experience they come back WAY faster than the office tells you. Both of mine came back in 5 business days. Fingers crossed for you that all is well :hugs:

I am so sorry. I would be in the same boat. Will be thinking of you and your LO and some speedy test results. Major :hugs:

How awful of the sonographer. My LO's femur measured around 7 days behind at her 19 week scan. I had similar worries. We went back at 21 weeks and all had caught up. Please don't worry; it's very common. My LO is a healthy, cheeky and tall little girl now!

I wouldn't be worried instead I'd be pissed at the sonographer who told you to terminate based on pretty much nothing! Being 5 days behind that's not even one week behind! Some babies come out 22 inches long and some come 18 inches long.

I'm very hopeful that your baby will be perfectly healthy and you'll have nothing to worry about. Big hug to you mama!

All 3 of my kids have short legs b/c of DH's side.. and probably b/c of my side some too lol.
All of their legs measured about a week behind. The 2 already here are totally fine and the one I'm pregnant with is totally fine as far as we know.
I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's the only oddity on the u/s.
And I would definitely complain about the comment made to you.

I just wanted to offer a :hugs:. I have a potential health issue with my baby too. It's very stressful. I hope you get your results quickly and everything is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->