worrying gender scan

kaleidoscope

Mum of 4,expecting a 5th!
Reaction score
just got back from my private gender scan and not sure what to think tbh..

as she was scanning me she said I assume that youve had your anomoly scan, which I havent yet and her manner changed and she was a little frosty and said that they dont normally scan until youve had your anomoly scan...and said you do realise that this isnt an anatomy scan?

I said yes I knew and then she said straight away baby was a girl:cloud9:..but then spent 5 mins taking measurements..and said again..that she was not checking anatomy..but would tell me if she saw anything worrying..

she then said although she wasnt checking baby as per an anatomy scan..what she had seen looked fine but then asked when I had my scan..I said next week..and she said oh right..and was really quiet....
I know it sounds stupid but she barely spoke as we left, yet the couple who were in before me when they came out she was really chatty and was asking if they coming back for a 4d scan

Im convinced shes spotted something wrong:cry:..so instead of celebrating my baby girl I feel utterly miserable and wished i hadnt gone

oh no hun i dont know what to say. Im sure everything is fine and she was just being pissy coz u hadnt had ur anomaly scan yet. Try not to worry and keep us posted when u have ur scan next week...sorry i cant be of much help xxx

When I had my 4D scan (at 24 weeks so after the anomaly scan) the lady was very good and had a little check around at the baby. She told us she was just making sure everything was all right.

The lady was very chatty and told us that a couple of weeks before she had done a 4D scan and spotted a very serious problem with the baby that the NHS has missed. She said she had referred them to the clinic and that it had been really sad.

I would hope that every operator would need to do the same and if there was a problem to tell the parents and refer them to the correct place for follow up.

I had one on Tuesday and I asked 'does everything look okay?' She said, well I can't say because this isn't a detailed scan, you will have one of those at 20 weeks to check for problems.

I thought maybe they don't like to discuss these things :shrug:

I wouldn't worry too much if she said she would tell you if she noticed anything was wrong. I'm sure she would have :hugs:

If your anomally scan is soon then just 'try' not to worry too much. If it's a while off maybe just give you MW a quick call, explain what happened and see what they suggest. Sorry bugger all use. Please try not to worry lovely, I'm sure your little girl will be just grand.:hugs:

Fingers crossed that everything is ok for you hun, it could be she was just being picky as you hadnt had your 20 week scan yet, although if she said she would tell you if she found something Im sure she would have told you......

Call the clinic that carried out your scan tomorrow and tell them that since you had your scan you've been worried that something may not be right. I'm sure the sonographer will speak to you and put your mind at rest.
Your anomaly scan may only be a week away but you don't want it preying on your mind.

if she said everything looked fine then im sure you have nothing to worry about, im also pretty sure she would ethically have to mention if she spotted anything worrying (even if it was just so you could highlight it at your official anomaly scan and get them to have a closer look)

she was probably just pointing out it wasnt an anomaly scan coz you would've needed to pay more to include that option iyswim? & maybe the couple before you paid for a more expensive package & thats why she was being more helpful? xx

thanks all..cant call the clinic as this one only opens on thursday and friday evenings..might phone their other clinic though and just get some advice

Some people just don't have a very good bedside manner, I'm sure she's just one of them. I'm sure everything is fine and you're getting yourself worried for nothing!

try not 2 worry. she did say that she would tell u if she saw something dodgy. I'm sure she was annoyed that u didnt go 2 your anomaly scan 1st. try 2 relax, maybe she was just having a bad day, people can be weird! chin up your scan is soon and hopefully will put your mind at rest :hugs:

well I phoned the clinic and explained..the sonographer is not there today but he said he would ring her and ask her to call me..this was an hour and a half ago..so Im not holding out much hope.
He said they have a policy of..if theyve seen anything worrying..to contact your consultant at the hospital..tbh..I would personally have liked to have been informed to if shed seen anything worrying..so the phone call was not reassuring

I think if she had seen something seriously wrong then she would of told you there might be a problem and suggest that you see MW asap. Try not to worry x

well I phoned the clinic and explained..the sonographer is not there today but he said he would ring her and ask her to call me..this was an hour and a half ago..so Im not holding out much hope.
He said they have a policy of..if theyve seen anything worrying..to contact your consultant at the hospital..tbh..I would personally have liked to have been informed to if shed seen anything worrying..so the phone call was not reassuring

Hi ya hun, she just sounds like a crappy sonagrapher to be honest with bad bedside manner as I was told at my gender scan at babybond they would let me know if anything was wrong so you could get it checked out via the nhs. She said she wouldnt just smile sweetly and send us on your way if she saw something that didnt look right. Im guessing thats the policy for most places hun, try not to worry Im sure your baby is fine and congratulations on team pink :hugs:

well the receprionist who is also her dad called and said hed spoken to her and she said she didnt see anything worrying, she would have told me if she did..so I feel a bit better..have come to the conclusion that she had the people skills of a gnat

she just sounds like a pissy woman to be honest. i wouldnt worry hun xxx

well the receprionist who is also her dad called and said hed spoken to her and she said she didnt see anything worrying, she would have told me if she did..so I feel a bit better..have come to the conclusion that she had the people skills of a gnat

:rofl:

When I had my gender scan at 17 weeks, I had to sign a form (like a disclaimer thing) which stated that while this was not an anomoly scan, any problems would be highlighted and brought to the attention of the health care professional in charge of your care (that is partly why you are supposed to take your notes - contact numbers etc).

My sonographer also said similar to me - this is not an anomoly scan etc. But he still took measurements and said he thought things looked as they should.

Maybe you caught your sonographer in an odd mood or whatever. I would wait until your 20 week scan before you start to worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->