Would initials affect your name choice?

Chickensoup85

LTTTC with azoospermia
Reaction score
We don't know if we are having a boy or a girl but, for a girl, we have chosen the name Aubrey and I really love the middle name Rae; however, our surname begins with an S and my husband has a real issue with her initials being ARS.

Is he right? Is it really an issue??

My husband has rude initials too - apparently barely anybody noticed as middle names rarely come up where I'm from. I think his initials are funny, but I'd personally avoid giving my children initials that spelt something.

Maybe add a second middle name so you don't have to give up the names you really love.

Aubrey Rae Leigh S

...or something of that nature

I don't pay much attention to initials, barely anyone even knows my middle name so I haven't let it become a big worry. Go for the names you love!

Nope, my full initials are never used so it doesn't bother me. It's not the same but when my son was born the band JLS were popular, I hated them and those were his initials, I never wrote his initials out though so it didn't bother me.

My DD initials are MFG which in german (we're from germany) is a very commonly used abbreviation along the lines of "best regards" or "best wishes".
Literally everyone in Germany who has ever sent or received a semi-formal E-Mail connects MFG to that abbreviation. Seriously, even typing it on my iphone it wants to autocorrect to the properly written form of MFG :rofl:
At first we didn't even notice but when we did we didn't let it stop us from using the names we loved. We've had like two close friends jokingly point it out but other than that noone has noticed.

If you love the names, i'd use it regardless. If it does bother you then i'd think adding a second middle name would probably be easiest and you can keep the names you love :)

If you love the name I'd go with it. People very rarely include middle names when using initials anyway.

I DO pay attention because my mom was asked to initial something when I was in 8th grade, and she did. Her initials are PMS. My teacher laughed hysterically at it, asking, "Your mom's initials are PMS??????" Okay, so she reacted badly, and that shouldn't have happened, but I have paid close attention to my kids' initials just in case. I don't ever want them to feel embarrassed by it. I also have a child with a first name starting with A and a last name starting with S, so I was very careful about the middle name. I chose Elizabeth.

BIL is SDT. So he deliberatly puts them around the wrong way for a reaction. :/

DS1 was going to be Christopher Cameron R*** but the more I thought about it, the more it sounded like a motor oil.
DS2 is Brayden-Lee Elwynne R*** (BLER)
DS3 is Alexander Gabriel R***
None of their initials can be linked to anything nasty or rude.

I personally think it does affect how one names their baby. People can be cruel about the initials one has and for that reason, I personally wouldn't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->