Would u pay upfront for a bathroom to be fitted

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
We have two quotes for a new bathroom and both comp need paying in full before they start work. Would u web comfortable with this ?
Also we have a tiny bathroom and the cheapest is 5k is this about right ?
Thank you x

Is that including fittings and tiles or with out?

I wouldn't pay upfront!! Dom & melinda have taught me this.. no idea about prices

cx

I also wouldn't pay upfront unless it was somewhere like B&Q or Homebase where they're not going anywhere and if they don't do it or do it wrong etc. you can get your money back or get them to fix it, but smaller companies and things I definitely wouldn't. I'd pay a deposit and the rest once it was all done and I was happy with it..If they weren't planning on ripping you off they wouldn't have a problem with doing it that way.

I have no idea on prices though I've never looked at bathrooms x

Thank you I was surprised when both companies said it had to be paid upfront the full amount. That price was for everything tiles ect. Well one was seven and one just oer five x

I definitely wouldnt pay upfront no chance!!
I also think that sounds a little steap price wise but i guess that all depends on the size of your bathroom my gramps isnt that big fits a bath,sink,toilet and space to get dressed so just an average bathroom and i believe his was around 3 and half.

Thanks ladies I'm going to get more quotes and go with someone who is happy to have a deposit and the rest on completion x

my oh used to be builder and that you shouldn't pay the whole amount upfront. A good company wouldn't ask for the whole amount, it kind of shows that they need the money and the last thing you want is employ a company that might have money trouble.

Noooo. Never pay upfront. Cowboy builders have taught me a lot

You should normally be expected to pay 20% upfront to buy materials. then you arrange to pay the rest in installements through out the job...i wud advise u pau when certain jobs completed ie when the plumbing done, when suite fitted and finally when tiling done. then u keep 5% back which u only pay once finished and ur happy it all works.

How much should it cost...well for a decent suite i would say around £1500 inc taps. but then depends if u getting a sepearte shower, storge units, heating, flooring and finally what sort of tilling - i assume walls will need re plastering. and the labour. All this shouldnt take more then two weeks.

so for a pretty decent finish inc all the above then i wud agree with about £5000...but they shud provide u with a invoice which breaks down all the costs.

(my hubby a plumber and were just about to do our own really small bathroom and it costing us about £2000 just for parts and that with discount).

I spend my working life stopping people being ripped off by builders. Never pay a penny to a company up front. There is no need. Even if you pay 20% for materials up front, what's to stop someone buggering off with that money?

Ask them what you need to buy and buy the materials and store them at your house. Or, tell him you will pay for the materials when they are delivered to your house. If someone doesn't have enough of a line of credit to buy a bathroom suite, i'm not sure i want to do business with them. If i do, then it will be on my terms, not theirs. Then pay for their labour at an agreed point. If it's a weeks work, pay when complete. If it's a months work pay every week or fortnight.

Always agree a retained amount (5%) which will only be paid once you are satisfied everything has been installed correctly.

Cost wise, it's hard to say what the right cost is without knowing exactly the work you are looking at having done and what sort of specification you've chosen. It seems high for a small bathroom.

my dad was self employed kitchen and bathroom fitter/maker. he would get 20% before the job, and and the rest after x

btw he worked 50 years self employed he deffo never ripped anyone off. He used to get ripped of by buying the whole suite ect and people then not wanting it. But only a few times i remember that happening

TM, of course there are some very good tradesmen out there, but the reality is there are also a lot of rogues. As a client, unless you know your contractor well, or he comes on a strong recommendation, paying anything upfront Ida risky thing to do.

My hubby is a joiner, he fits kitchens amongst other things and never asks for a penny upfront.

My hubby is a joiner, he fits kitchens amongst other things and never asks for a penny upfront.

I assume the client buys the kitchen? This is absolutely the fight way to do it.

TM, of course there are some very good tradesmen out there, but the reality is there are also a lot of rogues. As a client, unless you know your contractor well, or he comes on a strong recommendation, paying anything upfront Ida risky thing to do.

yeah see most of dads work came from word of mouth, he never advertised. and he used to work 6-7days a week and 14-15 hour shifts

Yes they do. He has all the tools, which is what you would expect from a qualified person so there is absolutely no reason for him to charge when they are buying the kitchen. He does what you say Foo and gets a weekly amount from the person, so they know he is going to keep coming back week on week.

Also, I would say to the OP about asking if they have a portfolio of work. Or anyone that would be willing to give them a reference (sort of like a review). DH has both. Also ask around, recommendations are a great way to find a trust worthy tradesman.

Never pay upfront for anything to be done. Always keep back a certain percentage of money anyway to pay on completion of job to your standard.

5k seems a lot to me. We have a big bathroom that needs a lot doing to it as the walls are in a right mess etc and if we paid 5k we would be getting a really nice suite and fixtures etc for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->