Would you do a home birth with a shoulder dystocia history

aliss

Reaction score
Would you? Please be honest. I am still torn between birthing centre and home birth. My first appointment (10 weeks) will be Tuesday with my midwife. The nearest hospital is literally 1km away from my house but that doesn't really matter for a dystocia birth I don't think.

If it was you, what would you do?

Depends on why I had a SD the first time around. Was it because I was in an unfavorable position (lithotomy)? If so, then yes, because at home I stay on my feet in labor/birth. I actually probably would no matter what, because once a SD doesn't mean a SD next time around. Especially at home when you are standing/squating a lot.

Hi Aliss!!! :wave:

I'm hoping for birthing centre again. I had a really good experience last time, and the atmosphere was just like home but I didn't have to clean up and was presented with a cooked meal when I went to the ward a couple of hours after! :blush:

Hoping too that because they're aware of Earl's injury from last time, they'll do their best to avoid it by helping me to have an active labour and birth. I would also have a higher chance of using a birthing pool in a birthing centre as all the labour suites have private ones. :thumbup:

I would probably go and have a look around and see if it's for you. Ask questions and speak to the MWs on the unit, as they are a lot more positive than some of the more 'jaundiced' L&D/community midwives.

The thought of a homebirth doesn't really appeal to me anyway, so maybe i'm a bit biased, but I wouldn't dis-count the MLBU if you have the opportunity to go.

Are you in the Facebook group? There's a member on there who has had 2 home water births after 2 c sessions and a shoulder dystocia of an 11lb baby! Her last baby with no dystocia was 10lb plus :)

Thanks girls!

My last- induced on pitocin at 40+3 for waters breaking, stuck on a bed for 3 days, 4 hours pushing, you know, typical fun hospital times.

I'm not on FB but that sounds very inspiring1!!

You should come along!! The group is 360 members strong and very active!

Iv got no idea, I'm still debating this myself.

Thanks girls! Looks like my midwife has managed to convince OH so we might be.

BTW just to report we had an amazing appointment (my OH came too). She spoke about my PND, about my experience, how she felt that we could def. 'start over' this time, and she even had orgasmic birth and Ina May's birth matters on her desk! ;) Pretty surprising considering her English wasn't even good but she had them in her library!

Yes, I would most likely have a HB, but it would depend on the circumstances around the SD first time round. Was it because of hospital intervention? Or was it because of a pre-existing with my pelvis?

I was having a conversation recently with midwife on this topic - she experienced SD with her first baby, next baby born at home in water.

Most cases of SD can be resolved by midwives on the spot.

Well, what position were you in when you had shoulder dystocia problems? If you were flat on your back, that's not saying much. If you were on all fours or you had people doing a pelvic press to you and you STILL had shoulder dystocia problems, that's another story.

When you're flat on your back, your pelvis is smaller. When you're on all fours, it's at its largest. If you're squatting and two people press on your iliac crests, this can also open the pelvic opening further.

If I had shoulder dystocia on my back, I'd still go with a home birth. If I had shoulder dystocia on all fours or with the pelvic press, I would not go with a home birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->