Would You Ever Donate Your Eggs/Sperm?

AirForceWife7

Mama to Brenna.
Reaction score
Just as the title says.

I think it's an amazing option for those who are having trouble, trying to get pregnant, and also same-sex couples who want to have children! The only part that I would have the hardest time coming to terms with is that if my eggs were used, I could possibly have a child or children out there that I'd never be able to meet. (Unless there are special circumstances of course, though I think that is very rare)

Now that I have my daughter, and I see how much that I love her and care for her, I'd have a hard time accepting that I would not be able to love the donor child in the same way.

Many donors go in with the mindset that those eggs/sperm are no longer theirs, but instead a blessing or hope for a couple or a woman trying to get pregnant. I don't think I could be as strong as that :flow:

(Surrogacy is also a very close topic with this, but I'll save that for another thread.)

How do you feel? :)

Initially when I read the question..... I thought, I could/ would if it was someone close tome who needed them BUT then reading what you wrote I think I changed my mind to, actually maybe I could only if I knew I wouldn't see or hear about the child that was made.
I think I would always wonder about them- but if I had no way of knowing if or what or who had come from my eggs then i would be ok. Such a hard question. Maybe when Ive finished having my own family and maybe if someone asked me to really consider it- it would take a lot of thinking about and my Oh's opinion would obviously count.

On the other hand- I would definately be a surrogate for a friend or sibling if it baby was not mine or my husbands biologically.

I really don't know if I could. I have watched a few very dear friends struggle with infertility and turn to either fertility technology or adoption. It's a long, hard, painful process and I felt very strongly for them. It did cross my mind - more as a question for myself than anything else - could I help as a donor? And I am really not sure if I would be strong enough to keep the necessary distance. Especially if I was both a donor and the one to carry and birth the child. I think due to my age (I'm 36, which is older than recommended for eggs) and my young family (the thought of pregnancy with my two little boys makes me weep with anticipated fatigue!), that it would be an unlikely scenario for me at this point. But yeah, tough one. With one in six couples dealing with infertility, it certainly might be a question more of us may consider. Huge respect to those who are sure that they can do such a thing.

I think its an amazing and incredible thing to do, i admire and respect any woman who can.
However, no i couldn't.
I would be a surrogate for the right person, i would carry and deliver a baby for them, but never with my own eggs. I would always feel that i was giving my own child away.
I watched a documentary on this once and it affected the woman far more than she realised it would.

without a doubt.

To me they are just one tiny part to making a baby so i would happily donate and not feel attached.

I don't think I could do it, i just could not go on with my life knowing I have a child out there. These women that do this not only make a dream possible for other women but are so commendable, thank god not everyone feels like me ..
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

No, but I would donate frozen embryos. I struggled with infertility (male factor) and we considered sperm donation, but later decided not to (we became pregnant with K with fertility treatments, after 4 years TTC and four losses). I would donate my embryos for implantation only due to my religious beliefs...an embryo is life and only God ends life.

No I couldn't and I wouldn't be happy for hubby to donate sperm either, he makes my babies no one else's

I always thought I could be a surrogate to a child that wasn't biologically mine but after struggling to heal after my 2nd section I couldn't

I'd have no problem donating eggs, I looked into it recently after so many of my friends were experiencing fertility problems but at 37 I'm classed as too old now:cry: ha!!

Id have no attachment to giving an egg, the more I think about it the more it seems like a little seed to me, not a potential baby BUT reading the above post by missy86 about sperm donation by your husband I feel very possessive over his sperm!! I'm not sure I'd like the feeling of him having a baby elsewhere but not bothered if I have???!

Am I weird?!?!

I'd have no problem donating eggs, I looked into it recently after so many of my friends were experiencing fertility problems but at 37 I'm classed as too old now:cry: ha!!

Id have no attachment to giving an egg, the more I think about it the more it seems like a little seed to me, not a potential baby BUT reading the above post by missy86 about sperm donation by your husband I feel very possessive over his sperm!! I'm not sure I'd like the feeling of him having a baby elsewhere but not bothered if I have???!

Am I weird?!?!

I don't think your weird but I am very possessive of hubby

Am I weird?!?!

Not weird at all :hugs: I'm the same way!

My hubby doesn't even feel comfortable with it .. he says he couldn't deal with having to be apart from a child that is biologically his, especially after having Brenna.

Good thing we didn't choose adoption .. those people are the definition of strong!

Im in the process of donating my eggs :) after having to have iui with our second baby (i am fortunate she is biologically mine and hubbys) it breaks my heart that other women cant be mums. I feel no attatchment to my eggs, people may think im heartless and weird but im not. it just made me realuse after having to go through iui. i am also going to be a surrogate for my best friend in a few years :) xxx

Never. No judgement but I have never felt comfortable with it and in my religion a person's maternity/paternity is supposed to be clear, and its not allowed to donate sperm or eggs xx

No I would not. I believe that my children are my responsibility to care for, and I couldn't handle not knowing whether how they were being brought up. I also have strong ethical objections to the processes involved in most types of IVF. I would prefer to promote adoption/fostering as there are so many children desperately in need of loving homes.

No i couldnt. I admire people that do it, its such a wonderful, selfless thing to do. But i couldnt have a part of me somewhere in the world being brought up by strangers. I would spend my life wondering if they were taking care of him/her properly, if my baby was happy, if she/he ever wondered about me, if she/he looked like me, had my eyes, my hair...? I dont know, its too personal.

I couldnt but I do think its great those who do, again my hubby wouldnt donate we believe Our eggs/sperm are to make our children for us to raise. Although part of hubbys thing comes from that he would not want our children to have step siblings so even if we had a divorce he would get the snip.. That's how strong his feelings are about his children/sperm etc

I've donated eggs twice and also donated 2 Embryos to couples who had fertility problems.

I would :) And if hubby wanted to donate sperm, I wouldn't have any issue with it.

No I would not. I believe that my children are my responsibility to care for, and I couldn't handle not knowing whether how they were being brought up. I also have strong ethical objections to the processes involved in most types of IVF. I would prefer to promote adoption/fostering as there are so many children desperately in need of loving homes.

strongly agree with this :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"