Would You Ever Donate Your Eggs/Sperm?

[
I am sorry for your loss with your ectopic pregnancy. I would think that you having had that experience would have made you a little more open minded to the grey areas between right and wrong, life and death. Infertility and the desire for a child is something that you could never begin to understand in the same way that terminating a pregnancy because your own life is at risk is something I could never begin to understand. you share this forum with many women who have first hand experience of IVF I know this is the debate forum but even so I feel like it would be kind and thoughtful if you avoided insinuating that infertile couple should just adopt when you have no perspective on how it feels to be infertile.

It's rather insulting of you to tell her how she should feel, based on her experiences. She doesn't have to justify herself to you, and you don't need to attack her.

I think it really borders on this:
"While BabyandBump tries to remain pro-choice on most subjects, out of respect for majority of our members that are either trying to conceive, or pregnant, we ask that you do not discuss topics on abortion and terminations outside of the 'Ethical Prenatal Losses' forum."

I agree. While I may not share the same definition of where life starts, I do respect everyone's right to have a choice and a voice on this.
I think that the direction this debate is going could be starting to head towards that rule, too.

Yeah, i think we should all just cool it, and let it go....

The original question was would you donate your eggs? I said no, because I would not want them used in IVF due to ethical issues. Someone then asked about my reasons and I replied, I'm not interested in getting drawn into a debate about it.

Unfortunatly your opinion of IVF is uneducated and illogical and to me as someone who very nearly needed IVF and has enjoyed seeing some very dear friends become amazing parents through IVF I find your opinion ofensive. You are happy to be judgemental about the legnths infertile couples would go to to have a baby but you are not willing to say if you would terminate an ectopic pregnancy. I would spend a little longer looking at yourself before you go saying that you would prefere to promote adoption to infertile couples... Why don't you promote adoption by supporting local childrens and young peoples charities? Why didin't you support adoption and the sanctity of life by choosing to have another persons embryo implanted into you rather than creating your own kids? I guess the answere is because you wanted your own biological kids, thats a 100% valid reason, just try to live by your own morals before you judge other people with them.

I'm not judging other people, I'm well aware that my beliefs are idealistic and that practically things don't work the way I would like. I gave MY reasons as to why I would not donate MY eggs and be involved in IVF. I don't really see the relevance of your questions to the discussion, but you seem to be making a lot of personal assumptions about me.

I had emergency surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy when I was minutes away from bleeding to death. Morally that horrifies me, but practically there was no choice as the situation was either going to end in one death or two.

My husband and I ARE involved with supporting local social services and children's charities, as fostering is something extremely close to our hearts for personal reasons.

Embryo adoption isn't really an option in the UK as far as I'm aware, I've only heard about it happening in the USA.

I just wanted to say i am sorry you went through this. At first I did think your post was judging but now I do not, so my apologies :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I have considered options for myself in the past, considered donating and spoke of being a surrogate. I decided I could only do this for someone close in my life but would reconsider donating my eggs again in the future ...

Fostering and adopting is an option but both are completely different situations. I was brought up in the care system until the age of 16 both in foster care and children's homes and although I have always wanted to and hope to foster (possibly leading to adoption) in the future nothing comes close to wanting your own biological children. Just because this situation is something close to your heart doesn't mean it's the only option and the only right one.

When I went through the situation of thinking I might not ever have my own children I found the words "foster or adopt" hurtful, like it was just that easy. I already want to do this and not because I may not have my own. It then felt like a replacement ... I wish people would keep it zipped sometimes (referring to those who said that to me).

Donating, surrogacy, short term foster care, long term foster care, children home staff and adoption are all amazing situations and personal.

I wanted to but I am not allowed.

I would donate if I had sperm instead of eggs. I'd be worried about the procedure and having to go on hormones and stuff. However I would be willing to donate to my sister or someone very close to me.

I think I'd donate my eggs to a relative, so that the LO was a part of my life and I would know that their parents were good people. I don't think I could do it for a stranger though because I'd always wonder what the child was doing, and would they come and find me one day? I wouldn't be able to detach myself from them knowing that at 18 they might want to find me and feel a real connection to me.
I don't think I could be a surrogate, I wouldn't be confident that I wouldn't want to keep the baby so it wouldn't be fair to take the risk.

I am planning on donating eggs and/or frozen embryos if my Ivf works and I am able to.

Infertility is brutal, heartbreaking and feels like a neverending torture. I'd love nothing more than to help other women have a baby too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->