Would you give up your civil liberties if it saved just one child?

marley2580

Reaction score
So, as a home educator I am increasingly concerned about the continued growth of 'child protection' powers. I know many home edders that have been threatened with all sorts simply because they chose a path that is different to the norm. I even know of families that have had their children taken from them because they followed the wrong procedure when removing their children from school.

However, most people I know seem to have the attitude that it's good that government and social workers have the powers they have (and many think they should have more) because 'if it saves just one child'.

So my question is, do you think it's worth giving up your rights to govt as long as it 'protects' children? How much are you willing to give up? Where would you draw the line?

Hmm this is a tough one as safety of children can be quite an emotive issue I think it depends on what civil liberty it is, for example I wouldnt give up my right to privacy as I feel that the pressure of having someone monitoring you all of the time would more likely make things worse especially if you choose a lifestyle outside of the 'norm'.

Tough one, indeed.
One could argue that the horrific residential schools set up by our Canadian government for native children were there "in their best interests". Back in those days, it was supposed to integrate those native kids into mainstream society and give them all sorts of important educational opportunities/social skills/etc. Of course, it was actually culturally and emotionally devastating (and rife with terrible abuse) and is now regarded as a huge scandal. So that is one side of government interference.
But what about situations in which the well-being of the child really is in jeopardy? We've had cases here where a child with leukemia is not allowed a blood transfusion because it was against the parents' religion. I do not agree with allowing their personal right to religious beliefs interfere with their child's right to medical treatment and I do agree with state intervention on behalf of the child in that case.
It is kind of a huge spectrum, I guess. I'm not sure there is a simple answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->