Would you give your child cough syrup to get them to sleep on a plane?

To give a child medicine just to "knock them out" during a long haul is unethical. That's putting it mildly.

I don't think most people would do it just to "knock them out" It helps relax them and make them a big groggy which I can see helping them get through a long flight with nothing to do. I still wouldn't do it, but it's not like they are beating them into submission to listen and sit still.

if a child can not handle a long trip journey without the aid of medicine (unless for medical reasons) then maybe the parents should revise where they holiday to until that child is older and better able to deal with travelling.

There isnt actually a medicine that 'knocks them out' that you can buy over the counter though is there.

You can get various things anti-histamines/paracetamol/anti-inflammatory. None of them will 'knock you child out' unless you overdose them, but i dont think anyone is talking about that being an option.

I dont think its just for the parents benefit for them not to be distressed, it is for theirs to.

When my boys are ill like now I give them calpol to help them sleep but for no reason other then a flight hell no!

There is a medicine that has a sedative ingredient in it, mediced, which makes children sleep.
when my eldest was a baby you were able to give it to them once they were over 3 months old that change a few years back it changed to only over 6 years old. I remember a friend reccomending it to me to make my daughter sleep through the night and i didnt like the idea of it even to use when she was in pain because of the sedative ingredient that was in it and didnt use it.
Personally if my girls were upset by travelling i wouldnt travel, or i would go on short flights or by other means of travel boat/eurostar/car to closer countries or holiday in this country (like we do) until they are older.
I dont like the idea of given them medication for any other reason other than it being relating to a medical reason. x

Medicine is for treating illnesses. Using it for anything else is abusing the medicine as per the instructions of the manufacturer.

I always pack a bottle of Benedryl with me if I'm traveling long distance on an airplane or boat. I'd be miserable if I didn't! When I flew to Europe, I had Benedryl, Tylenol PM, and Melatonin!! (err..not all at once, though!)

I remember whenever my cousins and I would take the 12-hour ferry ride to the mainland in the summer when we were little, we'd all happily line up to get our 'downers.' (I think it was Melatonin?):p Otherwise we'd all be very unhappy children the next day.

Motion sickness, aka nausea, is a medical reason that qualifies for drugs in any number of given situations. Some kids get drowsy from it, some get hyper, most I think you wouldn't know they've had it except for the absence of moaning and crying while driving winding roads or dealing with sharp banking, etc in plane travel.
And seriously? We should stay at home and not travel to see our family for what? 5-10 years because using an anti-nauseant is "unethical" or "unnecessary" (in the eyes of someone who isn't a doctor/nurse/paramedic, let me point out)? That seems like a pretty extreme judgement and suggestion. I suppose I could turn around and say I think it's unethical to let a child suffer unnecessarily when there is a safe and recommended treatment for the problem available? :shrug:
I think this is a "to each their own" situation, but no need for the harsh or judgemental language being used. :shrug:

I think quite a few people have stated that there should be a valid medical reason to give medication :shrug:

I would never give my child any type of medicine just to make them fall asleep on a plane. (Medications excluded)

Sure it would make the trip easier on me, but I gave up taking the easy way out the moment I got pregnant.

i have clearly said unless for medical reasons and i also never said people shouldnt holiday ever but to revise where they holiday to i.e go someone nearer/closer to home until there child is older enough to cope with longer travel.

If a child needs to be given medicine (except for medical reasons!!!) to travel for the ease of the parents/child/passengers then yes i think the parents should look at other options for holidays. x

no! I don't think the thought has ever crossed our mind, it's not something I could ever see myself comfortable doing, although I did consider spiking my own drink when we were going through a sleep regression :haha:

Sarahakka - the OP asked whether one would give cough syrup to get children to sleep on the plane. Thats what my answers are in reference to. Nothing to do with medical conditions.

Is it fine for parents to give children cough syrup for NO OTHER REASON other than getting them to sleep? - answer: NO.

I have a doctor friend who always gives her children anti-histamines when she takes them on flights. I know I don;t know what it's like to try & deal with a child on a plane but I think I'd probably try & avoid giving a child medicine unless they needed it.

In my experience medical personnel are the worst for dosing their children up .... My Mother was a nurse and used to pour antihistamines/cough medicine/paracodol etc down our throats on a regular basis and with very little reason :nope:

She met her match with my little sister though ... she turned out to be one of those kids whom antihistamines turn hyperactive. The trouble was that Mother didn't find that out until after a hefty dose of Phenergan just before a long car journey - NOT fun :wacko:

It's not something I ever did ... and neither I or my siblings ever let our children stay with my Mother unsupervised either. She really was quite cavalier about medicines and it was quite scary :(

Isnt there a theory that you should give them painkillers/anti-inflammatory because thier ears dont deal with the change in pressure like we do and its more painful for them?

Ive never taken Lo on a flight, but i wouldnt rule it out. I know plenty of medical people and many parents who do this. Its not like doing it every time you go out the house, itll be a once a year or less thing

^^^this makes sense. Like you say its only a once a year thing. However I might say I'd do it, but not sure if I actually would...I took them both away last year and wish I knew this back then :rofl: NIGHTMARE.COM

lyss has had antihystimine before (for an allergic reaction) and it sends her absolutely loopy- so it wouldnt help anyway!

Never in my life will I give my little boy that again...It was like Chucky on a high!!! :argh:

Yup. Have done with DS1 when he was about 2 and we were flying for nearly 30 hours straight. If you knew him, you'd understand why. Rather that then being throw off a plane or having 30 hours of glares and abusive comments from other passengers.

we used to be given phenergan to make us sleep xmas eve :lol:

I personally wouldn't do it, although Aidan has never had an issue with long journerys no sickness, being upset etc. Then again I wouldn't judge parents that do as they know their child and I am sure they have their best interests in mind. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->