Would you give your child cough syrup to get them to sleep on a plane?

Yeah, I think we would for medical reasons if needed but not "just because".

I was given a script for LO when we flew nz-uk and back, just her and me. I was visiting my mother who had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

He didn't say I should use it, simply advised of the dose should she become upset and fractious and I find myself struggling to cope.

I didn't use it on the way but she did get a dose on the way back, I'd just left my mum fr the last time, knowing I'd never see her again. We were fine until they messed up our seats (no bassinet) and I got upset and so did she, then there was turbulence so I couldn't rock her or stand.

It didn't 'knock her out' it just settled her enough to fall asleep on my lap.

I'd never fly long haul without something, same as I'd never fly without Pamol.

i haven't but can't say i wouldn't as a one off thing. i wouldn't do it if the kids were happy enough but if they were getting themselves in a state surely it'd be better for them to sleep? it's a 5ml dose of medicine, a one off.. what's it going to do?

I'm surprised this is an issue at all. My doctor recommended I use it for my son when we flew red eye to Germany from the states... I dont see the problem. He was fine and one dose of medication for a long flight to make him more comfortable instead of stressing and crying the whole time seems like a no-brainer to me. It's not like I drug up my child on a daily basis so he sleeps all day. :roll:

Since this is meant to be a debate, I would appreciate it if people wouldn't use :roll: It's rude and downplays the opinions of others.

This thread was an old topic I posted. We are going on a long haul flight in June and I will have calpol with us for MEDICAL reasons.

Not read the whole thread so maybe it's already been mentioned but up until a few years ago this was done with cough syrup and some children died as a result- this is one reason why most cough medicines for babies and younger children were withdrawn from sale xx

Its hardly the worst parenting practice in the world is it?
To be honest, no i wouldn't, not until i knew how she was going to react, if she was worked up/upset/struggling with earpains, i would consider it for her own benefit.

I wouldn't, and for that reason we won't be going on holidays until the children are older. However if we HAD to go somewhere while they are young I would deffo be going to a doctor for advice about something to calm my son down purely because he becomes very violent towards himself when he gets upset, and being confined in a seat on a plane/in a car for hours and hours on end would most certaintly set him off x x x

whats an antihistamine, is it like Calpol or something? I have no clue!

I remember my sister saying there used to be a Calpol Night that would help babies STTN but it was withdrawn for this reason i think, some mums were abusing it. I know my SIL used to give her twins it so she could get a sleep

Antihistimine is what you use for allergies, like for hayfever for example.

I have to use antihistimine for Maria occasionally now and it doesn't make her sleepy at all, would be useless to try it on a plane.

I have to use antihistimine for Maria occasionally now and it doesn't make her sleepy at all, would be useless to try it on a plane.

I've heard that is quite common especially with phenergen - I have friends who dosed their children on long haul flights and instead of having a sedative effect, it made them manic/hyper and 10 times worse than they would have been without! For that reason, doctors here (who will happily prescribe phenergen for flying with children) recommend you try it at home first before taking them on a flight.

I wouldn't think it would be wise to try a medicine for the first time on a flight anyway, just in case the child is allergic to it or something.

I wouldnt use cough medicine or benedryl etc (well I say that now anyway) but I would be taking a bottle of calpol if I was to fly with the kids. I would also be the terrible parent that gives there child a lolly to suck on during take off and landing x

I wouldnt use cough medicine or benedryl etc (well I say that now anyway) but I would be taking a bottle of calpol if I was to fly with the kids. I would also be the terrible parent that gives there child a lolly to suck on during take off and landing x

Nothing terrible about that at all. Hell, I drug mine up to the eyeballs, how do you think I feel? :haha:

Gosh no. I have enough issues giving him Calpol when he's ill or teething let alone giving him stuff when he doesn't actually need it. We took him abroad last year and he HATED The flight there and cried the whole time pretty much - He was a very independant little thing and was used to crawling and freedom etc so being held for 4 hrs was hell for him. Sure it was stressful and I cried after but I'd rather that than fill my child with medicine he doesn't need xx

I respect everyones opinion but I will say, until you've travelled over 36h straight (on planes/transit in airport - not counting the traveling to and from on departure and arrival) on your own; you can't know what you'll need to do to make it bareable and keep LO calm and safe.

I've ended up giving nurafen to other parents during a flight as they had none - not a smart move when you know your going to be on a plane at xxxx thousand feet for over 14h.

You may never need it but I'd never travel without painkillers and histamines (which also help with congestion on air travel too)

I have not done this but we have never been long haul.

I doubt we ever will really either!

I respect everyones opinion but I will say, until you've travelled over 36h straight (on planes/transit in airport - not counting the traveling to and from on departure and arrival) on your own; you can't know what you'll need to do to make it bareable and keep LO calm and safe.

I've ended up giving nurafen to other parents during a flight as they had none - not a smart move when you know your going to be on a plane at xxxx thousand feet for over 14h.

You may never need it but I'd never travel without painkillers and histamines (which also help with congestion on air travel too)

Thank you - this is what I've been thinking. I had to travel completely alone with my 15 month old to a different country.. 24 hour travel time... totally different ballgame to a 4 hour plane ride you have your OH with you for.

There are two classes of anti-histamines, drowsy and non-drowsy. Something like phenergan does make them sleepy.:sleep:

My mum used to give me and my sister medication to sleep, as well as our two poodles who would fly with us between italy and brazil once a year! The 4 of us could hardly walk, then would fall asleep and wake up at destination.

But no, i wouldnt give my baby anything. I would be too worried about overdosing her and wouldnt be able to relax during the flight. A colleague (a doctor), gave her kids phernergan then spent the whole flight doing jaw thrusts on them to make sure they didnt stop breathing :wacko:

And a little side story- I was at my husband's work function the other day and decided to indulge and have a red bull. I had just breastfed so figured by the next feed the caffeine wouldnt have much of an effect. One of his colleagues ( a man), came up to me and said i shouldnt be drinking it cos it would make her crazy blah blah. Later on in the night, he was saying how when he travelled with his 14 month old he gave him medication to sleep but it didnt really work, so he gave him a few gulps of his red wine on top of that to knock him out :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->