Would you have a child if it were at risk of genetic illness?

Pyrrhic

Reaction score
I suppose this is a bit controversial...

OH and I are waiting to find out if Niamh has cystic fibrosis, we're also planning to get ourselves tested to see if we are carriers. Even if Niamh is a carrier, that means at least one of us is too.

OH have been speaking about it, and I said that if we were both carriers I would get steralised, even though I want more children.

What would you do? If there was a risk, would you get pregnant anyway? Would you opt for foetal screening in the hopes the baby is fine?

My opinion is that I couldn't knowingly have a baby with CF as I feel it's unfair, and I could never have an abortion so I would just deny myself the ability to get pregnant again.

Just interested in what other people would do.

If we were both carriers (and therefore have a 25% chance of having a child who is affected), I don't think I would try to conceive naturally and take that chance... but there are tests that can be done in conjunction with IVF to ensure that embryos that are implanted do not carry both mutant genes. I'm not sure if the treatment is currently available on the NHS, but even if you are both carriers you won't necessarily have to deny yourself more children :hugs: x

i think i feel the same rafwife, i think i would prefer to not get pregnant rather than worrying about if a baby would have the illness etc

Lou
xxx

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I hope the tests are negative :hugs: personally if I was in the same situation I would probably do the same as you but I suppose others would disagree. I don't really know to be honest x

Again, possibly far more information than you need right now but here are a couple of links that might help :hug:

Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD)

PHG Foundation

I know a family where the mother has developed Huntington's disease, which is a horrific severe degenerative disease where you lose all motor control, speech, eventually develop dementia even at a young age - it is fatal as well. The mother has gone down this path as well as 4 of her sisters. It is absolutely horrible to see. Her son has recently gotten married and he and his wife have decided that they won't be having children of their own because of the high risk of having a child who may have Huntington's - they want to stop the spread of the condition to their unborn and their families.

It is a very personal decision though, I don't know what I would chose myself.

After my husband and I got pregnant, I found out that I am a carrier for Gauchers Disease. I was never tested for this 10 years ago when having my first baby. If I had known back then, it wouldn't have changed my mind a bit. My husband is NOT a carrier so the chances of passing it to my new baby is very very low. Still, it has crossed my mind if we had both been carrriers, would I want more kids? I think it depends on the severity of the genetic disorder. My twin sister is most likely a carrier and I've told her about this because if she has any children with a carrier, she should be aware. Did they not test you while you were pregnant? Hope everything works out.

just wanted 2 say hope Niamhs results come back clear i have my fingers crossed for you all xxxxx

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I hope she's ok babe.

I would never, ever abort....no matter what:cry: but would probably limit the amount of children I had I guess if there was a high chance of them being special needs/disabled/poorly.

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I hope she's ok babe.

I would never, ever abort....no matter what:cry: but would probably limit the amount of children I had I guess if there was a high chance of them being special needs/disabled/poorly.

Exactly how I feel.When I was pregnant with my son it turned he could have had downs.I wanted to carry on as each child is different and they will always be special no matter what.Yes it is a daunting long road to go down but there are so many support networks theses days.It nearly split me and my then partner up but thankfully the results came back all ok.

I wish you all the luck in the world hun.Please remember that if the worst does come true (god forbid) you will never be alone.We are all here and there is help out there xxxxx

I think I would be the same as you, but if I found out that my baby had a serious genetic illness I probably would abort. It would depend on what it was though.

:(

I wouldnt get sterilised because its so final. I dont really know enough about the condition and genetics of it to say what I would do. I probably wouldnt conceive naturally and just risk it... I would prob look to see if there were other options like Sams mum mentioned. I could never be sterilised

Didnt want to read and run but I dont know what I'd do - suppose you could also think well theres 25% chance, but the severity of the disease/illness in the 25% chance may be different.
Depending on the illness that 25% positive may only have a 10% chance of being a 'full-on' condition.

Its a tough call and I selfishly say I hope I dont have to make it myself but I do hope she is ok babes and im sure everything will be :)

:hug:

My mother had 4 siblings who all died from cystic fibrosis as babies (this was 50yrs ago remember!) so ofc there was a chance my mums kids would have it and a chance Amelie could have it. If I was a carrier I'd probably do the same as you.

I wish you, your OH and little Niamh the best of luck X

Cross fingers Niamh's results come back fine.

Its a tough call though on what someone would do. I am probably likely to have a child with Tourettes Syndrome as dh has it, as does his mother and a few of his uncles. We will see and deal with it as it comes. Luckily its not life threatening, or I would possibly change my opinion on what I would do.

Wanted to wish you well for Niamh :hugs:

I think it depends son the gentic illness..I was born with a cleft lip & palate and my dad was born even worse with no nose...I know that now days the surgeries and 100x better than when they operated on me.
I will find out in 2 weeks if my baby has inheritaed any of those and if he/she has i am ready to deal with the cercumstances and find out about surgeries.

OH and I are waiting to find out if Niamh has cystic fibrosis, we're also planning to get ourselves tested to see if we are carriers. Even if Niamh is a carrier, that means at least one of us is too.

I just wanted to clear up this bit of what you said hun. If Niamh has it then you are both carriers. She can't get it if just of you has the faulty gene. It has to be passed to be passed from both parents hun. I really hope her results come back clear and it is not a decision you have to make. What lead to her being tested for CB?

From a personal point of view I think I would try the genetics route for having kids if I knew they could isolate the gene in the embryo then it is an option I would consider but it doesn't work for all conditions. I wouldn't be sterilised as I know it's probs wrong to think it but you never know if your current relationship is going to last for ever and you may meet some one else and be able to have kids with them. So it is a toughy this one :hugs:

i think it would all depend on how much of a high risk it was. but if i could have treatment that guarenteed bubs wouldnt have it or it the chance was very very minimal then i think i would.

thinking of you guys loads and hoping the reults come back fine x x x x x good luck hun x x x x

I just wanted to clear up this bit of what you said hun. If Niamh has it then you are both carriers. She can't get it if just of you has the faulty gene. It has to be passed to be passed from both parents hun. I really hope her results come back clear and it is not a decision you have to make. What lead to her being tested for CB?

From a personal point of view I think I would try the genetics route for having kids if I knew they could isolate the gene in the embryo then it is an option I would consider but it doesn't work for all conditions. I wouldn't be sterilised as I know it's probs wrong to think it but you never know if your current relationship is going to last for ever and you may meet some one else and be able to have kids with them. So it is a toughy this one :hugs:

I assumed what she meant was that if Niamh is just a carrier but not affected (and that is the reason for her failing the heel prick test, as carriers can still show increased levels of immunoreactive trypsin), they need to test to see whether just one of them is a carrier - and there's therefore no risk of having an affected child - or whether they're both carriers but Niamh only inherited one x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->