Would you have a home birth after c section

youngwife20

Reaction score
Question above.

I have now decided against it, but I am seeing what you all think.

I had an EMC due to PROM then Failure To Progress Past 6cm. There was no real emergency, she was not distressed etc. My time ran out basically.

I have decided I am going to birth at home as long as I can.

I am undecided but ticked yes as that was my instinct.

I was having a home birth with my daughter but ended up with an ambulance transfer to hospital at 8-9cm (stalled labour and exhuastion), and a c-section at 10cm as her head was only 3/5ths engaged and her rate rate was starting to vary (my notes say CPD as the reason).

Some days I think I'll go to hospital next time, others in definitely trying home birth again - and I'm still only TTC! It felt good to be at home last time and I felt in charge of things plus, I figure that I'd feel safer being at home with a midwife than waiting at home as long as possible without one then going to hospital. But then again, the ambulance journey was one of the lowest points of my life and I really really don't want to repeat that.

aww thats so sad that it didnt work out for you last time im sorry it didnt workk! im looking into hiring a doula thats still in training so its cheaper! to help me birth aslong as i can at home then come with me to hospital

I definitely would consider it as long as I knew baby and I were healthy. My baby has been breech so it's been raised that if baby stays breech, we could be on the c-section track. Obviously, it's still very early and we have plenty of time to get better positioned, but it's been the first time I've ever really considered what I would do if I had to have a c-section with this baby. If it had to happen, I'd definitely want to still home birth next time, though might consider an IM if I did just to get some extra support.

I definitely would consider it as long as I knew baby and I were healthy. My baby has been breech so it's been raised that if baby stays breech, we could be on the c-section track. Obviously, it's still very early and we have plenty of time to get better positioned, but it's been the first time I've ever really considered what I would do if I had to have a c-section with this baby. If it had to happen, I'd definitely want to still home birth next time, though might consider an IM if I did just to get some extra support.

Off-topic for what's being discussed in this thread, but you know about https://www.spinningbabies.com/, right? Seems like the sort of thing you'd know about, but thought I'd toss it out there just in case. :)

hope your baby turns! whats an im x

Yes! I am planning a HBAC in April after the emergency c-section of my son in March 2011 (home birth transferred to hospital - c-section due to BTB with hyper extended neck i.e. got stuck).

I'm using an IM (independent midwife) though as I felt I really needed continuity of care, and I need to know for sure that if I end up with another c-section it cos I really need it and not because of box ticking, hospital imposed time limits, nervy midwives or unnecessary interventions.

A friend of mine birthed her breech baby at home (bottom first) using the same midwife I'm using (my baby is not breech - or at least isn't at the moment!) so it is possible - more risky though I guess so I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation. I would maybe get an IM or a doula who could come to the hospital with me.

what country are you in? my hospital point blank refused to send a midwife to my house to help me labour.

I'm in the Isle of Man - my hospital refused me a home birth too - that's why I've chosen to use an independent midwife.

They are not very good with home births here - I really had to fight to get my first one and the day after I had my c-section the consultant came in and said "Well you won't be able to have a home birth next time but you might be able to have a vaginal one" - I was devastated and shocked by her bluntness so I started looking into my options straight away. I guess I could have forced them to attend me at home (duty of care and all that) but I really wanted the confidence that I wasn't going to be transferred into hospital for the slightest excuse so an IM was the only way to go for me.

I looked into independant midwifes they are too expensive 3thousand pounds + i dont really feel to confident in homebirthing now i have thought it through. but i wil speak to my consultant and see if they can come to a compromise and l;et me labour to start with in water as they refused

Yeah it is mega expensive - but after my first birth I knew it's what I wanted so I started saving straight away.

Hope you get your water birth! Got my fingers crossed for you!

aww thats so sad that it didnt work out for you last time im sorry it didnt workk! im looking into hiring a doula thats still in training so its cheaper! to help me birth aslong as i can at home then come with me to hospital

I love the idea of a doula but DH is dead against the idea. I raised it (hypothetically) a few months ago and he was so angry and offended at the suggestion, said if I insisted on a doula then he wouldn't be there for the labour and birth, and would never forgive me for that. I felt it was a bit of an overreaction.

I love the idea of a doula but DH is dead against the idea. I raised it (hypothetically) a few months ago and he was so angry and offended at the suggestion, said if I insisted on a doula then he wouldn't be there for the labour and birth, and would never forgive me for that. I felt it was a bit of an overreaction.

wow wierd did he explain what was so bad about it? x

A doula supports the partner as much as the woman! You should read my birth story in my signature (or the last couple of paragraphs anyway).

wow wierd did he explain what was so bad about it? x

No, he was too worked up to be rational. I think it may be that he sees it as a criticism of his ability to support me during labour. He was ok last time, not very proactive or supportive though and would've been happy to stand aside for the midwives I think.

I checked yes, even though I have chosen to do a vbac at a birth center an hour away. We just did not have the support from family, and I found fighting for a home birth much too stressful. I am happy with my decision and feel lucky to have found a team of midwives who will support my vbac completely with little interventions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->