Would You - IUI?

Miss_C

Reaction score
Ok so my story is this - Had Jake in 2008 at 40 fell pregnant at 39 3 months before 40th birthday. Off pill since Dec 09 - actively ttc since June '10 following cancer scare in March (had LLETZ). Fell pregnant November 10 cycle, lost baby at 12w1d. Fell pregnant again August 11 cycle lost at 4w5d.

Last bfp was after HSG and 100mg clomid.

FS is saying to try IUI.

I really feel this is waste of money. DH sperm count normal. My FSH is 12 my AMH is 1.1 (eek) However on 100mg clomid had 3 mature follicles, ovulation was strong estrogen was 1009 on cd11 and 7dpo progesterone was 120 so the issue was my egg.

IUI will not achieve anything extra for us will it?

I'd be tempted to carry on with clomid for now and save IUI if, say, you haven't achieved BFP within 6 months.

Babydust huni!

cannot afford IVF and probably wouldn't anyway - hubby thinks that is taking things too far

Miss C, the success rates of IUI aren't much better than a natural conception...but, you might get better timing with your cycle by doing it...

Maybe add Pre-seed to your repertoire. It'll give the swimmers more time to get the job done. :thumbup: However, all the stuff they do for timing for IUI may help with fertilization because it'll be more specific. Eh. Pre-seed is what I'd try for the next round or two.

Ok so my story is this - Had Jake in 2008 at 40 fell pregnant at 39 3 months before 40th birthday. Off pill since Dec 09 - actively ttc since June '10 following cancer scare in March (had LLETZ). Fell pregnant November 10 cycle, lost baby at 12w1d. Fell pregnant again August 11 cycle lost at 4w5d.

Last bfp was after HSG and 100mg clomid.

FS is saying to try IUI.

I really feel this is waste of money. DH sperm count normal. My FSH is 12 my AMH is 1.1 (eek) However on 100mg clomid had 3 mature follicles, ovulation was strong estrogen was 1009 on cd11 and 7dpo progesterone was 120 so the issue was my egg.

IUI will not achieve anything extra for us will it?

sorry for your losses :hugs:

its a hard decision, if you are never going to try IVF then I would try some IUIs....yes if the problem is with your egg then it doesnt help but theres nothing you can really do for those anyway. IUI can sometimes be that extra boost as the sperm is washed and put right where it needs to be. I read that with normal intercourse about 500,000 sperm make it to the uterus, with IUI they are putting in millions of the best sperm.

My FS was saying even with healthy 20 yr olds 30% of their eggs have chromosomal issues and the number grows with age and is up to 80% in your 40's. So unfortunately it will probably take time to find that golden egg (how long none us know). I have done 3 IUIs and saving for IVF as I feel its my only chance....if they can get 10 eggs from me and choose the best to put back in I feel my chances are much higher than just randomly popping out 1-4 eggs per month.

good luck :flower:

Sarah makes a good point- something I've pondered myself. IUI, you're reliant on the quality of egg dropped that cycle vs. being able to pick. However, if you feel good about the eggies- IUI should make fertilization a no-brainer then.

There's a juicy thread about effects of CoQ10 raising quality of eggs by raising the energy/revitalizing the mitochondria. Sure seems to me that acupuncture can help do the same thing (raise energy/quality of eggs). So, maybe ACUPUNCTURE is an aid for all ladies trying to improve egg health to allow fertilization (natural BD, IUI, and IVF).

I was told by a friend that IUI wasn´t offered to her in the UK because the sucess rate isn´t high enough. However this is from NICE who also don´t offer cancer meds to patients who need them, so it is hard to know what is right. I am in the same boat, but minus the baby. 2x mc so far and on cycle 12 since the last one. I´m 38 and OH is 36 and we can´t afford IVF and the state has cut all funding here. I´m thinking no to IUI but maybe yes to clomid, although I keep thinking and hoping that I won´t have to decide. Good luck I hope you get your bFP too soon for all this to be of concern.

Sarah makes a good point- something I've pondered myself. IUI, you're reliant on the quality of egg dropped that cycle vs. being able to pick. However, if you feel good about the eggies- IUI should make fertilization a no-brainer then.

There's a juicy thread about effects of CoQ10 raising quality of eggs by raising the energy/revitalizing the mitochondria. Sure seems to me that acupuncture can help do the same thing (raise energy/quality of eggs). So, maybe ACUPUNCTURE is an aid for all ladies trying to improve egg health to allow fertilization (natural BD, IUI, and IVF).

my clinic offers acupuncture for people doing IVF (you have to pay for it but I think the person comes to the clinic) and I think Im going to try it the month I do IVF.

my clinic offers acupuncture for people doing IVF (you have to pay for it but I think the person comes to the clinic) and I think Im going to try it the month I do IVF.

Yeah, def try to do it at least the cycle before the IVF. My GF did that and in 4 weekly sessions did well enough to product 3x's the amount of follicles that she had ever before. Knowing that it takes 75+ days to grow a strong egg, maybe starting sooner is better than later. Like do it now and then see effects in a few months.:thumbup:

Yeah, def try to do it at least the cycle before the IVF. My GF did that and in 4 weekly sessions did well enough to product 3x's the amount of follicles that she had ever before. Knowing that it takes 75+ days to grow a strong egg, maybe starting sooner is better than later. Like do it now and then see effects in a few months.:thumbup:

thank you for the tip, I will phone up and ask some info and perhaps start this month then (hope its not too late!!). I have no clue about the cost :shrug:

I am doing IUI, only b/c I have trouble with conception.

If you are conceiving on your own, then IUI probably won't help you. It will most likely just make you stressed from meds, timing, finances, and logistics.

:hugs:

thanks everyone, I am going to look into the CoQ10, I tried MAca but it doesnlt agree with me.

Last bfp cycle I did throw everything at it, acupuncture, preseed, bonking like bunnies, so we are gooing to go back on the clomid, and follow the same regime next month and add instead cups to the mix.

Can you do IUI and injectables? I think injectables have better success rate but maybe that is because you are pushing out alot more eggs in my case at 29 i had 6 and only two fertilized and stuck.

I had a fully monitored cycle last bfp and the 100mg of clomid caused a very positive reaction border line if they would even do IUI if we had chosen it that month. Had a 20mm follicle at cd11 with 2 more not very far behind estradiol was at 1009 so at least 2 mature at that stage. My progesterone was 120 at 7dpo and my lining was 15mm so the clomid definitely worked (well obviously cos I got a bfp), I just need to keep plodding along I think until we pop a Golden One.

I hear what you are saying re injectables but we would be at an even greater risk of multiples and at our age a healthy baby is the goal and a multiple pregnancy would only jeopardise that.

I hear what you are saying re injectables but we would be at an even greater risk of multiples and at our age a healthy baby is the goal and a multiple pregnancy would only jeopardise that.

:thumbup:

I agree 100% with this statement!!

Last cycle, the nurse told me I had 2 follicles with femara. She went on quite a bit about how great it was b/c most women only get 1.

I decided to cope with denial and refused to believe that the smaller one was even developing. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->