Would you let your 11 yr old dye their hair

Depends on the reasons really for me.

I've been dying my hair since I was 13 but that's only because I have a problem. Basically I started going grey/white (only patches) when I was young, doctors think it was down to stress but have no real explanation for it (2 sudden deaths, when I was 8 and 13) so my mum let me dye my hair as I was getting bullied for it :nope:

I'd probably let my child use a wash in was out hair dye in the school holidays when they are about 11.

When I was 11 I used the vegetable dyes or the wash in wash out ones, even dabbled with the wacky illuminous sprays but never a permanant dye.
Like pinkpolkadot i was an 80's kid too - my mum permed my hair when i was 11 lol

I had to do a seven year olds highlights when I worked in the salon. Not my proudest moment :/ did what the boss told me... but 11, I guess I might

as the parent of a 10 (11 in may) year old i have to say no i wouldnt let her, but she has another year of primary school to go so once she is at high school i more than likely will if she wants to do it

i think its very easy for parents of very young girls (babies and toddlers) to say no way, never not until age 16 etc etc, but tbh a lot will probably change their way of thinking when their girls are reaching that age

No I won't let my daughter do it, lol.

My mom let me when I was 13. I did have friends in school who did theirs around 11 though.

I wouldn't let my son or daughter dye their hair until secondary school, and even then I would only allow those wash in/out dyes.

My SIL bleached her hair at 14 and ended up with hair that resembled straw. She had to strip the colour, cut her hair off and now dyes it red. It's much better condition but she regrets ever dying it in the first place.

I started dying my hair at 16 without my mums permission. I had naturally blonde hair and now I've had black for years. My parents hate it

Xx

I don't think so. My friend dyed my hair when I was 12 and I regret it so much. :(

I used to use the wash in wash out ones all the time from when I was about 10 I'd say. I didn't dye my hair permanent or even semi permanent dye til I was about 19 or 20 I think. My mam never refused to let me do it because I never asked and she had no problem with the wash out ones.
I'd prob be saying at 14 maybe they can get a semi but until I'm there it's hard to say.

As for dressing inappropriately I think that's just so wrong. I know in my school we used to roll up our skirts because they were ridiculously long but I'd never have had it super short just a bit above the knee. My mam used to go nuts with me about that though :haha: I suppose in that situation you can only control so much, you can't know that once they go out the gate they aren't rolling it up more which I know a lot of girls would do. I think it's such a shame that kids these days seem to be wanting to grow up so fast!!

I started having mine done around 11/12 and it was not a wash in wash out I dont really see a problem in it, if the child is sure and you do the tests they need to learn to be themselfs at some point

I probably won't let her dye her hair at eleven. She'll have to wait until she is older. :flower:

as the parent of a 10 (11 in may) year old i have to say no i wouldnt let her, but she has another year of primary school to go so once she is at high school i more than likely will if she wants to do it

i think its very easy for parents of very young girls (babies and toddlers) to say no way, never not until age 16 etc etc, but tbh a lot will probably change their way of thinking when their girls are reaching that age

Yup :)

Same for a lot of things, I remember a thread about ear piercing for instance :flower:

I dyed my hair at 10, i dont see it as a big deal. I would let her at 11 but id make her start with semi perm

Not letting your child dye her hair till she's 18.. I think that's a little too harsh and unrealistic tbh, I don't see the harm, I mean come on, you can have sex at 16.. It's only a bit of hairdye

Not the end of the world :shrug:

Not letting your child dye her hair till she's 18.. I think that's a little too harsh and unrealistic tbh, I don't see the harm, I mean come on, you can have sex at 16.. It's only a bit of hairdye

Not the end of the world that this girl is attracting the older guys, since my original post she has changed colour twice more.
She is a stunning young girl, but still a child! Her bp fb status over th Christmas period consisted of. ' head banging - too much wkd on Christmas eve' ' my head hurts - not so much next time'

Makes me quite sad, at 11 I had no interst in hair dye, clothes, boys, or alcohol, I would never have been allowed out with the skirts she wears. She is such a lovely girl too.

I've never dyed my hair and I doubt that I would have been allowed to do it at 11! I've always been very happy with the natural colour of my hair though and, as it's pretty dark, have been quite cautious when it comes to going any wacky colour due to the probable necessity of having to bleach it and the potential damage that could cause!
That said, I would probably allow my daughter to dye her hair at 11 with wash in- wash out dyes or semi permanent dyes and even be ok with her using bright colour dyes in the school holidays. I would, however, make sure that she talks it through thoroughly with close friends of ours who have been dyeing their hair for years and can fully explain all the potential issues with dyeing hair, etc so they are very well informed about what dyeing hair means and how to care for dyed hair well. I would also be ok with her wearing synthetic dreadlocks if she wants to, again after talking it through with friends of ours who use them regularly and, probably having them put them in and teach us how to put them in properly!

Beca :wave:

Yes I would.

I started dying my hair at the tiny age of 9, not because I wanted to attract anybody, not because I wanted boys to look at me, not because I wanted to look older, it was simply because I looked like the odd thumb in the family :dohh:

I'm naturally very dark haired with brown eyes, the rest of my family have light hair & blue eyes.

I never wanted to dye my hair pink or purple at 9 or have highlights, I just wanted blonde hair & blue eyes like the rest of the people in my family :lol:

Dying my hair didn't come hand in hand with me wearing provactive clothes, I still wore my jeans and whatever else, just had differently coloured hair.

My friends at school started dying their hair around about 12 & the ones who weren't allowed did it at their friends anyway :rolleyes:

I bleached my hair at 13 & wore blue contact lenses, but now I'm a little bit older, I'm dark haired with my normal coloured eyes but I dye my hair purely for a bit of self confidence :haha:

Not the end of the world that this girl is attracting the older guys, since my original post she has changed colour twice more.
She is a stunning young girl, but still a child! Her bp fb status over th Christmas period consisted of. ' head banging - too much wkd on Christmas eve' ' my head hurts - not so much next time'

Makes me quite sad, at 11 I had no interst in hair dye, clothes, boys, or alcohol, I would never have been allowed out with the skirts she wears. She is such a lovely girl too.

I think this is an extreme case. Honestly, I usually look to the parenting when the child is doing these things.

at the moment id say no i wouldnt but realistically when my DD is 11 i most probs would only highlights or something not a bright green colour ect ect!

I think this is an extreme case. Honestly, I usually look to the parenting when the child is doing these things.

i agree, it is extreme and i dont think there is a connection between hairdye and alcohol :shrug: yes i would let my dd dye her hair once she is in high school but absolutely no way would she be drinking wkd - incomparable tbh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->