Would you take them?

luci and bump

Proud mummy to Evelyn :)
Reaction score
OH and I have been gifted a 4d scan for Christmas, which we're having Dec 27th. We already have 2 daughters between us, SD will be 6 in January and DD will be 6 in May.
OH and I are having disagreements on if we should take the girls with us. I think they're old enough now, and that them getting to see their baby sister will be a really special experience. He thinks they'll be bored and play up, which will stress us (me) out, and spoil the experience.
We get the scan on a DVD, so they'd get to see it, just not as it happens.
We have just over a week to decide, but have reached a stalemate, we just can't agree. Would you take them? Or would you leave them with Nanny and show them the DVD later?

I would personally take then. Like you, I think it would be a really special memory for them.

I think I would leave them and show them the DVD later. Mine is just turning 5 and though I think she would want to come to a scan, actually once she got there, it would be interesting for about 4 minutes and then she'd be poking around in stuff, my husband would be trying to keep her from breaking something, she'd probably need a wee, etc. I don't think anything would be lost from the experience by watching it on DVD, but it means you two get to have some time to enjoy it yourselves and then come home and do it again with them. I imagine it's your husband who will be having to wrangle them, so I'd probably defer to him in this situation as I wouldn't want mine to miss out just because he was having to deal with the chaos.

How about taking Nanny along too so that if they play up she can take them out?
I've taken mine but during one 4d scan my son really played up, my husband took him out and missed half of it and we both ended up stressed.

Yes can you take nanny with you and she can take them out if they are getting bored?
Having said that I think they are old enough to sit still for 20 mins? How long is your appt do you know? My last scan I took my daughter to and she did get bored and was messing about which was annoying and my husband had to focus on her rather than what was happening but to be fair she wasn't quite 4 so a bit younger than yours. Personally I would do the DVD for them if you can't take nanny

I had a 4d scan at 28 weeks and we took my three daughters (6, 4 and 3 at the time) and his son and daughter (7 and 3) and I’m so glad we did they were fascinated and loved seeing their baby brother. That said we also took my parents so we were able to do some of the scan without the kids as well but like you we got a dvd of the whole scan.
One thing I would say is when we went they insisted that I go in first to make sure everything was okay with baby first before they bought the children in which makes sense to me in hindsight but I hadn’t thought of it beforehand.

We are taking our two 6 and 8 to our gender can and 4d scan. They can’t wait to see their brother or sister. 6 is old enough to know they have to sit still and be quiet for a little while they do it at school all the time.

I think if you take them you need a backup plan. Like a third caretaker or coloring or something they can do quietly and independently

We took our 4 year old to our gender scan because we wanted us all to find out what we were having as a family. She was soo excited.....at first but the last sort of 5/10 mins she became a bit restless. Not so much she had to be removed but she did say quite a few times can we go now, is it finished now.

I think its a lovely idea to take them but i also think maybe having grandma there or someone who could take them for a walk if they get bored.

I would say my DD didnt stress me out at all and my OH managed to nip the moaning pretty quickly and i would do it again as i think it was lovely she found out when we did.

I think that's what worries OH, it's about 45 mins altogether, which is quite a long time when you're 5. I hadn't even thought about taking a third adult with us :lol: OHs nan has had 4 children, but has never been to a scan, so it could be really special for her to see too :) I'll suggest that to OH later, especially as there's a little play area there (apparently) so she could always keep an eye on them there if they start playing up a bit.

I think that's what worries OH, it's about 45 mins altogether, which is quite a long time when you're 5. I hadn't even thought about taking a third adult with us :lol: OHs nan has had 4 children, but has never been to a scan, so it could be really special for her to see too :) I'll suggest that to OH later, especially as there's a little play area there (apparently) so she could always keep an eye on them there if they start playing up a bit.

Having a third adult is definitely the way forward!

I took my son when he was 2 and a half. He loved it thought it was really cool

I also think a 3rd person who can take them out is a good idea but I would check with the scan place to kake sure it's ok to take so many people with you. Private clinics are much more ameniable than hospitals here but the room where I had my 4D scan was tiny could barely fit two chairs in for 'spectators'

We brought our 2 and 4 year olds to our 20 week scan and they were great. If they are excited to have a sibling why not :)

I would take them. We took our 6 year old son to find out the gender of this baby, and he was so over the moon about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->