Would you take your lo to a scan ?

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
Lo will be 3 by the time I have my scan , I'm unsure whether to take her- I had a mmc before her and didn't find out till the scan - so wouldn't want her to experience bad news - but I do want to involve her and be part of very thing so she's not left out

What would you do - maybe not the first scan ? Maybe the second scan and midwife appointments ?

I wouldn't personally. First off our hospital doesn't let children into the scan room! Secondly yes, I hope it's not but what if it was bad news, she wouldn't understand what was happening and you would be devastated.

There are plenty of other ways to involve her. What about going shopping to choose clothes/crib or similar? Decorating a room? Choosing names etc? I don't think a scan or mw appts are the most practical place. It's mostly just peeing in a cup and taking blood pressure etc. I'm sure choosing clothes/toys would be way more exciting

William came to all my scans with me with this one as my other half with our youngest, last scan there both them came with me and the other half.

I don't know why hospitals are so excluding to children being in the scan room, it should be at the discretion of the parents. I think it would be really nice for older siblings to go to the scan. My LO wouldn't behave so I have him looked after, I don't think he'd understand anyway. But If you feel your LO would sit still I don't see why you couldn't take them

Eta he comes to midwife appointments with me as they're short and why should I get a baby sitter for ten minutes. The last appointment my midwife loved him.

Never said a word to me and even when preg with Alex I had William with me too. Just depends on your hospital they are all different.

My daughter will 2 1/2 at my 18 week scan. We're gonna bring her to that one. We have 2 scans. One at 12 weeks and one at 18-20. So we plan to bring her to the 18/20 week scan. We go to a clinic and they have a rule that the first 1/2 of the appt it's just mom. Then when they've taken all the important measurements. Dad and child can come in and we get to just watch and she points out all the parts to dad.

I take my DD with me to all appointments & scans! I wouldnt think of leaving her with anyone, Im a SAHM so she is used to being with me all the time anyway! She loves when the midwife puts the doppler on my bump now & screeches with joy at hearing her sister! She is forever pulling up my tshirt to show people the "baba" & giving bump kisses! No-one has ever made a negative comment about her being with us, in fact most people just say how sweet & cute she is!

we took DS to our 12 week scan and we were told off!! So we didn't take him to the 20 week one x

My hospital has a large sign that says children aren't allowed in the room but if they allowed children and I already had one, I would want him/her to come with us to be a part of things and see their sibling. But that would depend on the child and if she could sit still long enough. If not, maybe I would have Dad play for a while in the waiting room and then come in. There are so many things to consider but ultimately, if your hospital allows you it and you think LO would be still and not irritable for long enough then go for it.

I've brought my daughter along to the two scans I've had already and I plan to as well for the third I'll have in a few weeks. It's nice for her to be involved. I think as long as your child can contain their energy long enough it's not a bad thing. It's nice for her to see her sibling, since the last one she's shown even more of an interest in the baby.

If anything had happened (god forbid) I would have explained it to her just like I do with everything else.

I do. Hes very well behaved and always loves to see his brother on the screen. And always gets offered a play of the stethoscope :lol: x

My daughter is 18 months and has been to both scans and all but 1 midwife appointment with me! 1st scan she was only 14.5 months and 2nd she was 16.5 months! I never even considered not having her with us and she'll be going to my scan and consultant appointment at 32 weeks! She has a really strong bond with this baby already! The only hiccup we've had was when we were told we're expecting another girl and she got quite upset as she really wanted a brother! She kept putting her hands on my bump after and shouting 'BOY!' :doh: She's come round now though!

It's entirely up to you and what you're comfortable with, as well as what your hospital allows. It's worked out really well for us including her in scans and appointments though!

Beca :wave:

My son came for our 12 week one . Was to help him see his new sibling and believe. There was really a baby in mommys tummy. He I'd right after an was more excited after .

Where we are they Arnt allowed during the measurement part of the scan so I had to have my oH had to come with me to watch him for that part .

I brought my daughter with me to all of my appointments and scans when I was pregnant with my second & now I bring both of my children with me this time around.

Liam came to all my scans when I was pregnant with Amelia and my 12 week scan this time.
We weren't going to take him to the 12 week scan but Amelia wasn't feeling well so it wasn't fair to leave my disabled dad looking after both kids if 1 was ill. (he'd have been more than capable we just choose to make it easier for him)

I wouldn't take DS to the medical appointment scans. However, we are having a private scan on Friday, we had a private one done there (without LO) when I was 8 weeks and it is very child friendly. There are toys in the waiting room, and in the scanning room they have a TV on the wall that the Dad or whoever can watch with the scan from a big comfy sofa (right next to the bed). So we are taking LO as I think it'll look less scary in that informal setting, and we are going to get a teddy bear with the baby's heart beat noise placed in it for DS to hopefully prompt him of his little brother or sister :) so excited!

I should add the reason I wouldn't take DS to my medical ones is because he can be a handful and is into everything, he won't sit still and I will need to constantly chase him! But the place we're going to has toys and a sofa etc so I'm not too worried. I have to take him to a MW appointment tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous about it.

If LO was older I would have taken her to the 20 week scan but not the 12 week I don't think. Just in case something was wrong. And also finding out the gender would be exciting for them and everything's more clear.

Our hospital won't let us take children in for the scan but we had a private scan and we took our girls to it. Tilly is too young to understand and D is 2.5years and she got it a little, I could see why hospitals don't allow kiss though as it was pretty distracting hqving her in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->