Would you take your lo to a scan ?

Agreed ^^
Yea our hospital doesn't allow kids (south uk) and I can see why. At the end if the day the scan is a really important thing. A lot of measurements need to be taken and everything carefully looked at in detail. I don't want the tech or myself to be distracted by a child, no matter how well behaved they are your focus isn't going to be 100% on the scan. I just think there are many more ways to make them feel involved than being present at that moment. Extra private scans are fine to take the kids if you want them to see the baby but I want my scan to be focused on the baby 100%. I wouldn't take DD and she's 7 and well behaved.

It's a personal decision. If you're worried that you may receive bad news, weigh the pros and cons.

When I had my first scan I brought my two year old DD with us. She handled it like a big girl. :cloud9:

Ya Bonnie I agree. Even when I went for mine the 1 st time the tech explained why they do the first 1/2 hour just me and the second 1/2 hour. Dad and whoever is allowed in is purely so they can focus and have quiet because the measurements are so critical. She said its why we come across as "rude" at first because we don't talk to you. We just focus. Then when the work is done. We can focus on the fun stuff. Like showing dad. She said dads in there when were working ask a LOT of questions. It's distracting. Hahahahaha fair enough!!!

We didn't have a choice for our 12 week scan as we had no one else to look after him. Our hospital prefer the children to be over 5 but they didn't stop him. However, he got quite bored quickly and although he was well behaved, it would have been better if someone could have looked after him. Thankfully for the 20 week scan, he was at nursery so wasn't a problem.

I think there are other ways you can get your lo involved. Our son (3 in August) talks about baby a lot and we talk about how he's going to be the best big brother and how baby is going to love him so much. He kisses bump most days xx

I took my dd into the scan with me, my oh had her on his knee it was her 1st birthday, personally I don't see why we should take lo's into the scan but then I can understand its a personal choice and people will have their reasons :)

My hospital has big signs up saying children will not be allowed into the scan room and they have no childcare facilities so you've to make other arrangements for them. And I can understand why - most of us are sensible and wouldn't take in children who we can't guarantee would behave in an appropriate manner - but there's always those parents whose 'little darlings' are running around, tearing the place apart while the parents turn a blind eye, and I can see how it would be really difficult and annoying to try and do your job while that was going on.

We have done it. In fact we had two with us (our 1 yr old and our two yr old). We dont have childcare and no family nearby so they had to come with us. If i had the option, it would have been nicer if they wern't there, tbh, but not all of us have the luxury of choosing.
Weve taken them to different types of scan settings, the hospital, a private facility (but still for medical purposes and not just for fun), an OBGYN office that did scans, and then of course the fun gender scan which was private. We didn't have any issues with it...i mean, if there were signs, i really doubt if it was just you and your LO that they would refuse you. Showing up with a little one, i cant imagine they would deny you access just bc of that! Im sure if you called and asked ahead of time they may say no (tho they may not), but i would'nt bring attention to it and just walk right in on that day with your LO if it's your only option.

PS we had both of our kids in a double stroller, strapped in so that they couldnt just run around and get into things. Im sure that helped. My eldest is a little hurricane and i know he would have gotten into stuff. So we strapped them in, gave them a coloring book and some snacks and it worked out just fine.

The hospitals that don't allow children into the scans what happens if FOB isn't interested and has done a runner and you have no family/friends around you what would you do with your child while you have the scan? Sorry I like thinking of scenarios and think what if :p I have to take my lo to all my midwife appointments because there's no one who can look after her mon-fri which personally I'd have been funny about if my dd was older as I wouldn't have wanted her to see me having blood taken etc.

The hospitals that don't allow children into the scans what happens if FOB isn't interested and has done a runner and you have no family/friends around you what would you do with your child while you have the scan? Sorry I like thinking of scenarios and think what if :p I have to take my lo to all my midwife appointments because there's no one who can look after her mon-fri which personally I'd have been funny about if my dd was older as I wouldn't have wanted her to see me having blood taken etc.

At the end of the day that isn't their problem just like it isn't when the woman is in labour. The scan isn't for fun or bonding, it's for serious medical evaluation, they aren't compulsory so if you're that stuck you don't go, but it's unfair to expect hospitals to have to put up with a noisy child during a medical examination when the sonographer needs to concentrate. I know not all children would be misbehaved (mine would) but they can't trust parents to make that call because they've probably had enough bad experiences!

I should be thankful my hospital is so nice then and my oldest who came with me was so patient.2.5 hours at least 3 apps where waiting around. Never once distracted me and every one loved him there. I wouldn't bring my youngest as I would be chasing him and that would be distracting.

I never took Freya to the 12 week scan, took her 20 week scan and the 4d one :)

We took Nathan to both 12 and 20 week scan. He won't be two until August so he didn't really understand anything that was going on but we had no one to leave him with.

The hospital website said not to take any young children as it could be distracting for the sonographer but when I asked the midwife she just said to take him along as loads of people do it.

He screamed through the 12 week one but laughed through the 20 week one. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->