Would you use 'pet' name?...

mizzyb

Reaction score
I have always loved the name Willow for a girl. Stupidly 9 years ago I suggested it as a name for my mums whippet she had got. So I see my mum a lot and she will be around baby a lot and baby will grow up in contact with her dogs alot. My partner and I just cannot comprehend not calling our baby Willow if its a girl though! But is this just too weird? I know Willow dog wont be around forever as she is already 9/10 yrs old but even so.. But our hearts yearn for our little girl (if it is a girl) to be called Willow. Think it would always be a regret if we didnt, or are we just being selfish and it not really being practicle and fair on my mum or baby? is it just weird? :wacko:

I wouldn't personally because like u said you see your mum a lot and the baby will be around the dog, when she is toddling your be calling willow and both the baby and the dog will come, lol, sorry thats just my opinion but if you really love it then go for it!

if your heart is set on it and u and ur oh both love it then i dont think it sld matter. if i was u id use it :)

I think it would be fine to do it. Might be a little bit of confusion for a while but I think it wouldn't cause too much problems. I say go for it! :)

I'm not sure I would .... Yes the dog won't be around forever but it to me would still be wierd to name your child that after the dog was already named hat

yup! Im doing it- my mums pet has the name Im using :)

Can I just say I also love the name willow and considered it last time....and also weirder my mums whippet is also called willow ;) I have a whippet called lottie, I tried to persuade my husband to change the dogs name :lol:

Depends on how close I was to my mum, how would your daughter feel, or get confused.

It worked for Indiana Jones. His real name was Henry Jones Jr. and he went by Indiana because that was the dog's name and he loved the dog.

Rule of thumb for life: if it's good enough for Indiana Jones, it's good enough for us all!!!!! :thumbup:

In all seriousness I think if a close family member had a dog named Willow, it would be way too weird for me to imagine my child with the same name. However, if it's not weird to you, I don't see how it's offensive or anything, and you should feel free to go for it.

I personally think it's cute and I would do it if my heart were set on the name. :) Plus I just love dogs .... They're loyal, loving, brilliant beings. What better creature to share your baby's name?

Go for it! It's not like the dog's called Rover or Biggles.

Willow's lovely :)

I would go for it, but would probably talk to my mom about it 1st and make sure she would be ok with it. That's just because my mom and I are friends and we would just naturally discuss something like this, tho.

I don't see anything wrong with it, I had a dog for 18 years who was called Camille, and I knew girls named Camille and it didn't make me think of my dog when I called them. Willow is a beautiful name by the way

I personally wouldn't, I feel it could get confusing. For example I have a friend named Maggie (been friends since grade 1), about 5 years ago my Dad rescued a dog, it was already named... Maggie. And believe me it is so confusing to have a dog and a person in the same room with the same name. My poor friend always responds when we scold the dog, we are constantly saying "no! Maggie don't do that!" (To the dog), and the human ends up looking around all confused.

I would do it. I (stupidly) suggested my favorite girls name to my parents for their dog. Saddly, the dog had a rare disease and passed away young. A couple years later, dh and i had our first baby and gave her the same name. My dad teased me for naming my kid after a dog, but Im glad we did . I know its a little different since your moms dog is still around. But still, I say go for it.

My daughters name is Willow. I had that name picked out for 12 years before I even had her, so personally I wouldn't have cared if there was thirty other willow's in the family. It was the name I loved and always imagined my little girl having.

PS. MOST perfect name EVER!!!

If you don't care then that is all that matters. Personally, if I felt that strongly about a name, I would use it. The name we picked out, we know we are going to get a lot of comments and typically I wouldn't use a name knowing this but we love the name so much that it over powers everything else. If its the perfect name in your eyes, then don't let anything stop you.

For a name you love, I'd say go for it. It's such a pretty name. But I would still be open to looking at other names; you might find one you love even more, and then no possible weirdness.

If it gets confusing, the dog actually wouldn't notice if everyone started calling it something similar. I think it would be funny to call a whippet "Pillow" as a nickname, for example. I hardly ever called my dogs by their real names; they always had a ton of goofy nicknames close to their real names.

I have a dog called Alfie and I always find it funny/strange when I come across a boy called Alfie as I associate it with being a dog's name. Although I know it's a perfectly nice boys name! So for me I wouldn't do it x

My grandfather insists his sister Jess was named after the family's favourite horse.

So, in our family, it's tradition!

I would. The dog won't be around forever, and if you love the name, you love it.

Two of the names I love are already taken by a cat and a hen. That won't stop me.

How funny!! :D im so confused what to dooo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->