Would you work full time if you didn't have to?

Blondie2008

Mum to the amazing Bethan
Reaction score
I was forced on to a part time contract in a recent restructure in work. Love the job although I've been there for quite a while and could do it in my sleep tbh!

I have now been shortlisted for quite a well paid job but it's full time. I'd be into the city centre every day so long hours.

I want to progress my career in a way but then I love having the freedom of two days off. I have a 5 year old daughter who I take to lots of after school activities etc. Guess I wouldn't be able to do that as much.

I am also currently studying for my masters.

What would you do? I really can't decide what to do for the best and worry about leaving my current job and really regretting it!!

Lisa x x

Given how much it sounds like you have on your plate (i.e. children, postgrad study etc) I would say stay where you are and take advantage of the freedom to study, spend time with your daughter etc and worry about it later on. What is your masters for? Will it open doors for you in your career or is it a hobby subject? If it's in your career then it's in your interest to focus on it.

If the choice was no job vs full time, I would opt full time. But in an ideal world I will stay part time for as long as possible, I work 3 days a week and study a masters part time also and couldn't imagine trying to get it all done full time, I could have had an opportunity to get a promotion at work (albeit temporarily probably) but it would mean full time and I really don't want to work full time right now, it's hard because I am very career driven but sometimes you've got to look at quality of life too. We are moving this Summer, and as a say if the only thing that is available is full time I will take that if it is what I'm qualified in, as I would rather that than no job, but I would probably be doing all I could to knock down my hours! So in the very least while you're still studying I would probably stay part time, I have a friend who works full time and is doing the same course as me and even though she has no kids and has to support herself in London she's still trying to cut down her work hours as she feels she has no quality of life right now trying to complete the course.

Thanks for your responses both. I have decided not to go for the interview next week and to continue working part time. I think that right now I am better off finishing my Msc and having more time to spend with my daughter. She's growing up quickly enough as it is!

My Msc is in Human Resource Management (I work in HR/Staff Development at the moment) and so would be a huge boost if I could get it.

Guess I am lucky that I have the part time option. The more I have read the more I realize that loads of people would love to be able to do that!

Lisa x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->