Wow, Triplets! :)

Tbaba

Reaction score
Hi everyone, we're in west Africa and are expecting triplets as at yesterday! My wife and I are elated and at the same time curious.

The unfortunate thing is that our hospital had to refer us to the Government General hospital because they can't cater for multiples. We're comfortable with the quality of care at our hospital (one of the few that do try to meet up with international standards) but there are some obvious concerns about the quality at the government hospital. So, we're looking at delivery in the US and have started doing some research.

Can anyone post or PM any advice in this area? Estimated costs, good hospitals (preferrably in either california or Maryland), visa concerns etc.

Thanks for any info.

HI ya

Cant help with your questions as I am in the Uk but wanted to say congratulations!!!!

I wish I could offer some advice, but I am in the US and only familiar with the system here.

I do want to say Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hugs:

Congratulations xx

Thanks @wind, Its the US system we're interested in. Like how much do you suppose medical bill can be up to (without insurance, since we're foreignors)? Know any good hospitals around Stanford, CA and/or Gathesburg,MD)? Thanks.

no advice as im in the uk but massive cognrats x

Congrats! I have six month old triplets. Can't offer any advice on the US system though as I live in Canada. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions related to your pregnancy. :)

I see, sorry I misunderstood your question.:blush:

Typically I have discovered that any University hospital is going to be able to provide an outstanding level of care. Stanford Hospital in California is world renowned. I'm not familiar with any hospitals in Maryland. (I may actually have to drive over an hour to the University of Toledo Medical Center in Ohio. My pregnancy is high risk and I'm having twins.)

I looked at some paperwork provided by my insurance company and it looks like the estimated cost for a twin pregnancy, delivered by c-section (just to give you a rough idea) is approximately $12,000. Don't get discouraged though. The hospital cannot turn you away for inability to pay. Also, there are some programs and government assistance programs that can greatly offset the cost if you don't have private insurance. (I'm not sure how that would work being from another country, but I know they won't turn you away.)

If you have any more questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them!!:hugs:

Congratulations!!

I wouldnt want to explain costs as I am in London UK and the cost of living is different all over the globe but I learned very early on that I had to settle for the less expensive stuff in order to afford two of everything.
Instead of cot beds we got cots that turned into side beds, we got a deal on our steriliser, bottles, I used a high chair from my mum and then found one on the internet second hand. I asked everyone to give me vouchers for a shop so I could buy my carseat for Christmas and my MIL gave me the money for my other one ( I was only 21 and living at home with my mum and dad, didnt expect to get pregnant so I didnt have anything saved up)
The girls have loads of stuff some new and some not, its doesnt really matter because I know that I didnt have to get myself in debt to get them the best of everything.

Now my SIL is expecting (just one) she is having a load of my old stuff so I am glad its getting used again lol.

Good luck, wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Congrats! I am not sure of the answers to your questions as I am not familiar. You could probably research online and contact someone to help you out! Good luck!:thumbup:

Hi there and congrats on triplets. I am having triplets too and live in the US. I have insurance, but it only covers 90%, which is usual for the US. Anyhow, it isn't the delivery that will cost you, but the babies stay in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) which I have heard can cost a total of $40,000 per baby per average stay (triplets I am sure you know stay an average of 19 days in the NICU). The birth itself with Cesarean delivery is usually $6k for singleton-I am not sure how much for multiples. Of course if you are able to get over here for the birth itself somehow, they cannot deny you the stay in the NICU whether you pay or not, but then your babies become US citizens. I am not sure how the visa would work out.

Good luck!

I'm in CA and can tell you that the UCSF NICU is a level 3- which is the highest it goes- and we have been beyond happy so far- our girls are still in the NICU at our local hospital (Run by UCSF) so I have no idea of cost yet- But look into Northern California bay area NICUs- we have a few level 3s here and it's a lovely place to live (Expensive though) feel free to PM me if you have further questions! and Congrats!@!!

I don't know any hospitals in those areas, but my singleton last year had to stay in the NICU for only 2 days and that cost was about $12,000 before insurance paid. my neice was in it for 3 weeks and that cost close to $50,000. It depends on what needs to be done. But like others have said, the hospitals can't turn you away.
Visa can be a pain to get, so I would defently look into and apply for it asap. Your wife will not be able to fly on an airplane past the 36 week mark for a singleton, and I'm not sure what it would be for triplets, but triplets are almost always early by about 2 months, so you may want to get her over here by her half way mark. Also, your babies will be US citizens so you may have to get them visa or cards to get them back to africa- not sure how that would work but I know you would have to get a green card if you and your wife wanted to live here in the US with them. My cousin married a girl from Costa Rico and she couldn't get a green card for years- even after she had her baby in the US and they had to live in Mexico and he would drive to California everyday for his work.
Good Luck and hope it all turns out well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->